Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Spending Christmas with the family.

• 26-12-2015 11:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭

I don't much like travelling. But every opportunity I can, I make the effort to visit my relatives, see my niece and nephew, my grandparents and my mam. I also work in retail and I'll bet anyone who works in retail knows exactly where this is going.

But seriously, **** St. Stephen's day. I worked up until Wednesday night, went home to fall asleep and then headed out to visit relatives. I got to meet my grandparents, one of my two aunts and my own mother. My sister and her partner were elsewhere so I missed them. If I'd had today off, I'd be able to visit them but I can't, I had to head back here yesterday afternoon so I could be in work this morning. I'm just about to head off shortly. But isn't fan-****ing-tastic that people can't stop shopping for two ****ing days?

Again, **** St. Stephen's day. Christmas day and St. Stephen's day should be in the same boat. Didn't you buy enough **** coming up to Christmas? Don't you have enough food? My grandparents always buy way too much, I have enough ham and turkey in my fridge to last me half a week if I ration it.

I can easily understand places like Penny Dinners opening today or civil services needing to be in operation, my grandmother's sister-in-law is a nurse and she works through every other Christmas. I wouldn't begrudge anyone who needs her help but seriously, going to some shop to buy TVs or batteries? Give us a break, don't go shopping today. Let retail staff have some proper time to spend with their families.

Please.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭The Sun King

Can't read right now OP. Just on the way out the door for the sales. Will read and reply later. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Will someone think of the poor workers that have to work during Christmas, please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

3% off Tv's today. I've 6 already but I need another to fill a void in my life. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Yesterday it was the poor esb workers today it's shop staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Chocolate girl

Totally agree with op. I worked in retail and it only opened a few years ago for first time on Stephens Day for a few hours. It's so busy now opens for 12 hours which means more staff needed more people pulled away from their families. Some choose to work but many don't want to but have no choice. If people didn't shop they wouldn't open.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Its all going way over the top with the whole opening of shops right after christmas day , we need another day of rest, tis crazy **** altogether.

when is the Easter eggs up for sale as I have to buy extra this year :-)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Your grandmother's mother in law is still working? She must be in her hundreds!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

But the sales!!!!

Hopefully in the coming years it'll all switch to online.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Chaos Marine

Your grandmother's mother in law is still working? She must be in her hundreds!

Herp, I should have put down sister in law.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

I totally agree with you op. Shops were closed years ago on Stephens day and should be today. The only thing open today should be pubs and the only restaurants that should be open are ethnic restaurants that don't celebrate Christmas...chinese and the likes.... And some random petrol stations. I don't think any of the supermarkets or any retail shops should be open today. Alot of people have worked 3/4 weeks straight through and they should have a rest before the sale start.
    God the sales the absolute mutants come out for those

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 757 ✭✭✭John T Carroll

Bowlardo wrote: »
    I totally agree with you op. Shops were closed years ago on Stephens day and should be today. The only thing open today should be pubs and the only restaurants that should be open are ethnic restaurants that don't celebrate Christmas...chinese and the likes.... And some random petrol stations. I don't think any of the supermarkets or any retail shops should be open today. Alot of people have worked 3/4 weeks straight through and they should have a rest before the sale start.

Pubs should also be given the option of opening on Christmas Day/Night which celebrates the most famous Birthday of all time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

About to put the remote through the telly. Someone with 4 handbags, but its okay because they were half off. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Don't disagree with the OPs sentiment but often find that people who spend from September to Christmas Eve shopping for one day seem to be the ones that have a problem with the rest of us going out to the sales on Stephens day. I can never get my head around why shoppers buy stuff in mid Dec that will be half the price by late Dec.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Tipperary Fairy

What about the people who need an excuse to escape from their families? Have you considered them?

Seriously though, if you don't like working in retail, go look for another job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

At least the BT queue only started at 6am this morning. It used to be from 10pm the night before IIRC. Saddos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,118 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Pubs should also be given the option of opening on Christmas Day/Night which celebrates the most famous Birthday of all time.

Dont some nightclubs open at midnight Stephens day?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

That's one of the few instances when I really miss Gemany. There the shops are closed. Most shops would be closed by 4pm on Christmas Eve and if Stephen's Day happens to fall onto a Saturday, people would be without an open shop for 3 full days in a row!
    Funnily enough everybody there manages just fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

Wow!! You got Xmas eve off!! I had to work that day. Weren't you a lucky sod getting 2 days off!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

Give us a break, don't go shopping today. Let retail staff have some proper time to spend with their families.

Please.

Yeah, cause if people don't go shopping today, they'll send the staff home.

Nice thought and all, but come on.

I'm sorry but just do what you are paid to do? There must be other options for you than retail, if you don't like it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭mohawk

I personally would prefer if the sales waited a couple days to start. But I don't want to pay full price for boots or coats so I usually go to the sales for an hour on Stephens Day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭user.name

I'm in work today, the main shopping centre is closed and we are the only shop open apart from a few fast food places. We don't have sales as we are a pound shop basically, but it is annoying people coming in buying toothpaste and looking for more junk that they don't really need. Its worse working in a shop that doesn't have sales, is dead today and I get to miss seeing some of my family. You can't even enjoy Christmas, working everyday coming up to it, and on the day you are just tired and have to prepare for work the following day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

When I was a student I was glad to be working at Stephens day to make a few quid!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Riverireland

I don't much like travelling. But every opportunity I can, I make the effort to visit my relatives, see my niece and nephew, my grandparents and my mam. I also work in retail and I'll bet anyone who works in retail knows exactly where this is going.

But seriously, **** St. Stephen's day. I worked up until Wednesday night, went home to fall asleep and then headed out to visit relatives. I got to meet my grandparents, one of my two aunts and my own mother. My sister and her partner were elsewhere so I missed them. If I'd had today off, I'd be able to visit them but I can't, I had to head back here yesterday afternoon so I could be in work this morning. I'm just about to head off shortly. But isn't fan-****ing-tastic that people can't stop shopping for two ****ing days?

Again, **** St. Stephen's day. Christmas day and St. Stephen's day should be in the same boat. Didn't you buy enough **** coming up to Christmas? Don't you have enough food? My grandparents always buy way too much, I have enough ham and turkey in my fridge to last me half a week if I ration it.

I can easily understand places like Penny Dinners opening today or civil services needing to be in operation, my grandmother's sister-in-law is a nurse and she works through every other Christmas. I wouldn't begrudge anyone who needs her help but seriously, going to some shop to buy TVs or batteries? Give us a break, don't go shopping today. Let retail staff have some proper time to spend with their families.

Please.

I don't work in retail but I totall agree with you. I won't be shopping today or tomorrow for that matter. Unfortunately the only way for retail workers to change this is to refuse to work these days. Open the shops and people will go there unfortunately. You and the other retail workers certainly have my sympathy. I'd be getting out of that industry if I were you if possible.

• Site Banned Posts: 109 ✭✭Dricmeister

If you don't like it, don't work in retail. Without the punters spending their cash, your situation would be a lot worse.

I totally agree with you op. Shops were closed years ago on Stephens day and should be today. The only thing open today should be pubs and the only restaurants that should be open are ethnic restaurants that don't celebrate Christmas..

And bookies of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Agree with ya OP. It's two days of the year that everyone (with the exception of a few absolutely necessary services) should have off. After the glut of consumerism over the last weeks and months leading up to the 25th, it's not too much to ask that the likes of department stores stay closed til the 27th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

Please.

That post is such a breath of fresh-air to read today, especially in AH- sorry to hear you have to work today. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I don't work in retail but I totall agree with you. I won't be shopping today or tomorrow for that matter. Unfortunately the only way for retail workers to change this is to refuse to work these days. Open the shops and people will go there unfortunately. You and the other retail workers certainly have my sympathy. I'd be getting out of that industry if I were you if possible.

I will not be shopping until I run out of something needful. The way my cupboards etc are it will probably be coal. Another five days at least. No intention of going out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

What's the difference between forcing retail workers to work today and bar staff to work today.

Is it because you've no interest in shopping today but want to go for a few pints?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

user.name wrote: »
    I'm in work today, the main shopping centre is closed and we are the only shop open apart from a few fast food places. We don't have sales as we are a pound shop basically, but it is annoying people coming in buying toothpaste and looking for more junk that they don't really need. Its worse working in a shop that doesn't have sales, is dead today and I get to miss seeing some of my family. You can't even enjoy Christmas, working everyday coming up to it, and on the day you are just tired and have to prepare for work the following day.

Shopping seems to be an addiction? I love it as I was housebound so many years but only shops I really need. Not browsing. Been in Killarney nearly 4 years and only last week was in Penneys for the first time and only because someone told me they had cheap Christmas lights.. all the women just wandering round handling the clothes etc..I can remember from childhood that we went to the big shops without any clear need in mind. A hobby!

Hilarious to hear people complaining about shops being open but looking forward to a few pints.

What about bar staff and their families?

The sad reality is that studying hard and working hard carries privileges...privileges such as not having to work over Christmas. Unskilled labour has limited choices and must take what it can.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭doulikeit

Hi op totally agree with u,I wont be leaving the house today neither will any of my kin. Reheats, pieface and more drink. Genuinely feel sorry for u this time of year never worked in retail or the bar trade but wouldn't dream of leaving the house today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

If you don't like it, don't work in retail. Without the punters spending their cash, your situation would be a lot worse.

BS. If you have 100/200/500 Euro to spend today but the shops are not open then you'll still have it to spend on Monday or Tuesday. It's greed on behalf of the retailers and selfishness/stupidity on behalf of the consumers. Nothing more, nothing less.

BS. If you have 100/200/500 Euro to spend today but the shops are not open then you'll still have it to spend on Monday or Tuesday. It's greed on behalf of the retailers and selfishness/stupidity on behalf of the consumers. Nothing more, nothing less.

No. There is huge competition for discretionary cash. People can spend online at any time. People can go to the races today. All businesses are competing for that spare cash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,922 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Unskilled labour has limited choices and must take what it can.

That's a pretty horrible comment tbh. A lot of educated and hard working people are working in retail. The world is gone insanely greedy, shops do not need to be open today. We'd manage fine until tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Zimmey

Yeah, cause if people don't go shopping today, they'll send the staff home.

Nice thought and all, but come on.

I'm sure the OP realises that, they're just making a point. If it was quiet though, it wouldn't surprise me if some staff were sent home. Probably wouldn't be quiet though.

Hilarious to hear people complaining about shops being open but looking forward to a few pints.

The sad reality is that studying hard and working hard carries privileges...privileges such as not having to work over Christmas. Unskilled labour has limited choices and must take what it can.

Lots of educated folk work over Christmas! Not just vital services; some financial services companies would have staff working a few days over Christmas. One of my friends who works in funds works every Stephen's Day.

I'd have no problem with pubs not opening Stephen's Day. Give retail staff the day off, they deserve a few days off more than anyone. The shop, if it has a good sale, won't suffer too much by waiting until the 27th or 28th.

Also, referring to unskilled labour as "it"? Charming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭EazyD

Cork Lass wrote: »
    That's a pretty horrible comment tbh. A lot of educated and hard working people are working in retail. The world is gone insanely greedy, shops do not need to be open today. We'd manage fine until tomorrow.

Obnoxious people are obnoxious, nothing new here. Im sure he/she would change their attitude if they were stuck working today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,333 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

If people didn't shop they wouldn't open.

If shops didn't open people wouldn't shop.

• Advertisement

Zimmey wrote: »
    Lots of educated folk work over Christmas! Not just vital services; some financial services companies would have staff working a few days over Christmas. One of my friends who works in funds works every Stephen's Day.

I'd have no problem with pubs not opening Stephen's Day. Give retail staff the day off, they deserve a few days off more than anyone. The shop, if it has a good sale, won't suffer too much by waiting until the 27th or 28th.

Also, referring to unskilled labour as "it"? Charming.

Back office staff in financial services to be fair...

Back office staff in financial services to be fair...

Who are usually still well educated as per your post. As are many retail staff. If it was only certain types of education you were referring to, you probably should have been more specific.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Riverireland

EazyD wrote: »
    Obnoxious people are obnoxious, nothing new here. Im sure he/she would change their attitude if they were stuck working today.

Some people need a bottle of empathy in their Christmas stocking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

One difference between retail and hospitality is that unlike retail, bar staff won't have to be in a 5am or 6am today to set up for 9am opening. This means that for those people, Christmas night is basically shot - no opportunity for a few pints or a bottle of wine.

As it happens, I won't be in the pub or the shops today - no need for it at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

Hopefully in a few years you'll be able to 3D print most things from home and it will finally put an end to this "shopping" nonsense for good

Advertisement