Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

need 1tb hard drive

Options
  • 26-12-2015 12:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭

Where would be a good place to buy a hard drive? Dabs have a western digital blue 1tb for around 56 euro. A B&M shop quoted me 84 euro but i read some places dabs can be iffy. Are dabs in ireland, is it shipped from ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭EternalHope

[QUOTE=Digital Solitude;98196589
    €56 from Ireland

Is this for a PC or laptop[/QUOTE]
    pc. is that important? will it be ok

Yeah sound, it wouldn't suit a laptop or PS4 so was just confirming that.

Are you replacing a HDD from an old PC

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭smokin ace

Are you looking for one that fits into laptop I've a 1tb seagate one here if you were interested it was replaced by a ssd in a brand new laptop it was only turned on once with the hard drive in it so it's practically brand new

Yeah sound, it wouldn't suit a laptop or PS4 so was just confirming that.

Are you replacing a HDD from an old PC
    I am putting a second drive into a desktop

• Advertisement

You'll need a second SATA cable too then, you'll find them on memoryc, they're only about €2

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Please do not try to sell on-thread, I didn't really want to have to card/ban anyone over the Christmas period... :o

Adverts.ie is the place where you sell stuff. This is the place where you talk about stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

+1 for memoryc excellent to deal with,I have bought a fair few things off them over the years,never a problem.

You'll need a second SATA cable too then, you'll find them on memoryc, they're only about €2
    Might there not be a spare cable on the motherboard?

Would that site have everything for a new build too?

There might be, I'd make sure before ordering.

I'll edit on that

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Unless you put it there yourself, there won't be a second sata cable just dangling magically from the motherboard!

You can get cables for €3 delivered on Ebay.

Or else you can disconnect the sata cable from your DVD drive assuming you have one, most people don't use them these days.

Unless you put it there yourself, there won't be a second sata cable just dangling magically from the motherboard!

You can get cables for €3 delivered on Ebay.

Or else you can disconnect the sata cable from your DVD drive assuming you have one, most people don't use them these days.
    @ TerrorFirmer and Digital Solitude: I will check before I order. Thanks

Memoryc doesn't seem to have anything for a build but RAM and storage. On mobile but that's what I made out

• Registered Users Posts: 35 scartboy

Why not Amazon - they currently have a WD Blue 1TB for 35.99 on prime, so it should have free shipping to Ireland

Google translates the price to €49. With CC FX charges, that would be about €50.

Product Details
    Western Digital Blue WD10EZEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

I find Amazon absolutely amazing for service, komplett a closish second.

If you're in North Dublin (D5) I've about a zillion sata cables you can have. PM me if you want to pick one up.

scartboy wrote: »
    Why not Amazon - they currently have a WD Blue 1TB for 35.99 on prime, so it should have free shipping to Ireland

Google translates the price to €49. With CC FX charges, that would be about €50.

Product Details
    . Thanks for the tip

€56 from Ireland

Is this for a PC or laptop
    would that be as good as western digital. The one i have is western digital. The only WD there is refurbed.

Whoever said i need a SATA cable was right

Seagate are grand, a lot of people here don't seem to like them though.

They're second fiddle anyways, no further down the list.

Try Amazon either

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭salamanca22

komplett a closish second

Really, I have had problems with them in the past so have tried to stay away, that was a few years ago when a lot of people on boards would have advised against them.

I wouldn't mind trying them out again though as they have some good prices. Are they still shipping to an Irish warehouse after you order and then forwarding packages on? I remember that would add a few days to your wait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Really, I have had problems with them in the past so have tried to stay away, that was a few years ago when a lot of people on boards would have advised against them.

I wouldn't mind trying them out again though as they have some good prices. Are they still shipping to an Irish warehouse after you order and then forwarding packages on? I remember that would add a few days to your wait.

They're on boards which goes a long way with me. They swapped out my Z77 sabertooth with a fairly minimal delay after 3+ years. They're not based in Ireland anymore but to be honest I always thought that was a bit of a silly idea anyway.

• Advertisement

scartboy wrote: »

Product Details
    Is that the one that is now 37.98 stg?

Western Digital Blue WD10EZEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5-Inch Internal Hard Drive

It is a refurb isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭jamescd

Is that the one that is now 37.98 stg?

Western Digital Blue WD10EZEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5-Inch Internal Hard Drive

It is a refurb isn't it?

This one

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Western-Digital-WD10EZEX-3-5-Inch-Internal/dp/B0088PUEPK/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1451670837&sr=1-1&keywords=1tb+hard+drive

It's direct from Amazon so it should be brand new. It's only the market place sellers that sends out the refurbs.

jamescd wrote: »
    This one

It's direct from Amazon so it should be brand new. It's only the market place sellers that sends out the refurbs.
    if you look at the one star reviews on your link- I have to remove it- Bobby on 30 April 2015 and simon on 17 July 2015 say it is not new

Look at the top review
    TC wrote:
    So the moral is, make sure when buying that your drive is DISPATCHED FROM AND SOLD BY AMAZON themselves and not a third party seller. Even if it's fulfilled by Amazon it can still be sold by a third party.

I returned the drive for a refund and purchased a new drive from Amazon themselves, this time with a full warranty.

That link I posted is DISPATCHED FROM AND SOLD BY AMAZON, so it should be brand new.

jamescd wrote: »
    Look at the top review

That link I posted is DISPATCHED FROM AND SOLD BY AMAZON, so it should be brand new.
    some of the people commenting on the link you posted say it is a refurb.

some of the people commenting on the link you posted say it is a refurb.

That's because they don't separate the reviews from those who bought it directly from Amazon and those who bought from third party sellers. The reviews are all mixed together.

313rgog.jpg

If you look at the pic above, it's "Dispatched from and sold by Amazon". That's the important bit. If it's dispatched and sold by Amazon, you're good to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

Howdy. I'm looking at getting the 2TB version, but there is none directly from amazon (that i can see). How do you filter for that, or do you just have to look and see?

dibkins wrote: »
    Howdy. I'm looking at getting the 2TB version, but there is none directly from amazon (that i can see). How do you filter for that, or do you just have to look and see?

2u977mb.jpg

Click on the "34 new from £54.98". The top one is from Amazon directly. It's also shown on the right side of the page as I've circled above.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B013QFRS2S?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_1&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

Amazon don't seem to have that in stock at the moment though

Advertisement