Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost for building a wall

Options
  • 26-12-2015 2:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭

I understand that this will be very hard to price but I am looking for a rough idea based on peoples experience with similar.

Looking to have a wall built. It will be a wall separating two gardens with a pillar on the footpath side.

length : 22 foot
    height : 5 blocks

Any info appreciated.

(the blocks will be supplied and the foundation will be in place)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭delfagio

Is it just the price for laying the blocks you need? Or is it the price for doing the foundation as well.

Building a wall dividing two gardens is not just a matter of building 5 blocks high. You will need to build the wall in bays with pillars between bays in order to strengthen the wall from blowing over in strong winds

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

ejabrod wrote: »
    I understand that this will be very hard to price but I am looking for a rough idea based on peoples experience with similar.

Looking to have a wall built. It will be a wall separating two gardens with a pillar on the footpath side.

length : 22 foot
    height : 5 blocks

Any info appreciated.

(the blocks will be supplied and the foundation will be in place)

About €300 .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭ejabrod

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, the foundation will be in place.

I have gotten one rough estimate via PM so just looking for other opinions or approximate cost.

Car99 wrote: »
    About €300 .

Thanks for that Car99. That was the price region I had in my mind.

delfagio wrote: »
    Is it just the price for laying the blocks you need? Or is it the price for doing the foundation as well.

Building a wall dividing two gardens is not just a matter of building 5 blocks high. You will need to build the wall in bays with pillars between bays in order to strengthen the wall from blowing over in strong winds

It's only 22ft long and 4ft high, 3 piers of block on flat and 9" cavity blocks for the wall section would be solid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Mahogany Gaspipe

Car99 wrote: »
    About €300 .
    That sounds very low to me. I can not possibly see how the job could be done that cheap by a professional contractor.

Would you mind breaking down that figure?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

If it's labour only
    Blocks
    Sand
    Cement supplied by client
    No mention of cappings
    All off the ground
    And once the blocks are already around the back of the house
    300€+ vat sound about right for a days work for a blocklayer and helper.

That sounds very low to me. I can not possibly see how the job could be done that cheap by a professional contractor.

Would you mind breaking down that figure?

He asked how much it would cost to get done, many a lad happy to take on a job that size for €300 that's the reality of it. Yes you can enlist a big firm to to do the job and pay for all the overheads but why bother when a 2nd year apprentice could do it.

If it's labour only
    Blocks
    Sand
    Cement supplied by client
    No mention of cappings
    All off the ground
    And once the blocks are already around the back of the house
    300€+ vat sound about right for a days work for a blocklayer and helper.

Yes, it's labor only. Everything supplied by myself. There won't be any cappings.

I've gotten a quote I'm happy with.

Thanks for all the input :)

Advertisement