Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway council

Options
  • 26-12-2015 3:50pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭

600,000 on renovations on county hall, they refuse to release the breakdown but€40,000 on new carpets for county chambers. I hope someone comes out and justifies it. Imagine the good that money could have done else where. The greed and corruption of these people makes my stomach turn

http://galwaybayfm.ie/county-council-slammed-over-spending-of-public-money/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,147 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

600,000 on renovations on city hall, they refuse to release the breakdown but€40,000 on new carpets for city hall. I hope someone comes out and justifies it. Imagine the good that money could have done else where. The greed and corruption of these people makes my stomach turn

Your link talks about Galway county council, are these now one and the same?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

Your link talks about Galway county council, are these now one and the same?

No it's just an opportunity for a city council rant

600,000 on renovations on city hall, they refuse to release the breakdown but€40,000 on new carpets for city hall. I hope someone comes out and justifies it. Imagine the good that money could have done else where. The greed and corruption of these people makes my stomach turn

FOI the information you are looking, it's not that hard and it's free. If they refuse to release the info, you can appeal, also for free.

They will only be allowed reject a FOI application under certain justifications and renovation isn't one.

So, you want the breakdown, go get it.

That only reason not to, is apathy

https://www.google.ie/search?q=how+to+make+an+foi+request+ireland

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

FOI the information you are looking, it's not that hard and it's free. If they refuse to release the info, you can appeal, also for free.

They will only be allowed reject a FOI application under certain justifications and renovation isn't one.

So, you want the breakdown, go get it.

That only reason not to, is apathy

https://www.google.ie/search?q=how+to+make+an+foi+request+ireland

Someone has and have found that the Council is resisting to provide a detailed breakdown

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

You have no idea how wasteful and inefficient Galway City & County councils have been and continue to be. I could go on but it would not be worth my while. We'd need another 10 Primetime Investigates to highlight it all. Always follow the money...Cui Bono?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

It's in quite a lot of people's interests that it not come out. A lot of what was bought was got in Galway. A lot of people have had their backs well scratched. Before these renovations even started it was known that they were to cost in the region of 200k with a ridiculous amount being spent on chairs if I remember correctly. Remember this was initially undertaken to accommodate 9 extra chairs as we were told that just adding an extra row of chairs in the chamber would contravene health and safety regulations. It was at a time when council funds for local projects were slashed and property taxes to local authorities were controversial yet local papers and media hardly wanted a bar of it. When it turned out to have cost 500,000 and one councilor was to mount a legal challenge to prevent it going ahead it still barely merited a mention in local media.

To some extent the whole population of Galway is responsible. There should've been outrage on social media, it should've been easy to get momentum behind it that could not have been ignored. We all need to be more awake and prepared to do more than tut tut after the horse has bolted.

This is nothing to do with Galway city (while it's located in the city it's not funded by the city) as the council is the county council and should be moved to the county forum.

As ever with the op there is a misleading thread title

This is nothing to do with Galway city (while it's located in the city it's not funded by the city) as the council is the county council and should be moved to the county forum.

As ever with the op there is a misleading thread title

I think a lot more people will see/view it in the city forum or maybe it's in ur interests for it to be hidden

• Registered Users Posts: 25,952 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I think a lot more people will see/view it in the city forum or maybe it's in ur interests for it to be hidden

Cllr Charity had any real interest in making waves about it, then the press-release would not have come out a few days after Christmas.

While I sympathise with putting it in the city forum, the thread title is still misleading, and just looks ignorant of the difference between the two.

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Green Peter

They waste 600k and your problem is what forum it should be in, have you a seat at the round table?

• Advertisement

Cllr Charity had any real interest in making waves about it, then the press-release would not have come out a few days after Christmas.

While I sympathise with putting it in the city forum, the thread title is still misleading, and just looks ignorant of the difference between the two.

So u have more of a issue with the title than the wasting of €600k? Would u highlight a patantic spelling mistak aswell People with this mentality are similar to cllr/senators/TD people who live in a sheltered bubble

Imagine how much good that money could have done especially after Xmas when a lot of family's are feeling a pinch

So u have more of a issue with the title than the wasting of €600k? Would u highlight a patantic spelling mistak aswell People with this mentality are similar to cllr/senators/TD people who live in a sheltered bubble

Imagine how much good that money could have done especially after Xmas when a lot of family's are feeling a pinch

There is a precedent of non city threads being moved to their relevant county forum in line with the charter.

In other news Sligo council waste millions on a legal case involving a right of way. Should I start a thread on this in the Galway CITY forum, or if it's views you are after maybe the Dublin forum?

In relation to the title of this thread it was either the OP glancing(ie not reading) the first paragraph of a news article and creaming his pants and posting or purposely trying to mislead people

• Registered Users Posts: 10,446 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

But why are you blaming the City Council for something that is out of their control? You make it look like you can't think of anything to accuse them of so you just make something up and hope nobody notices.
    It would be like somebody saying that the British invaded Poland, because they basically didn't have a clue about politics but wanted to have a go at the 'Brits' nonetheless. In the meantime anything the British were ACTUALLY responsible for had gone completely over their head.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,952 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I live in the city.

I care about how Galway City Council allocates funding.

I care very little about how Galway County Council allocates funding. Not my TLA, not my monkey.

As for how much good it could have done, methinks you are a little naive about how public finances work. Money that is allocated for one area (eg capital works on Council infrastructure) cannot be simply reallocated to other areas (eg family services).

If you think there is a problem with how the money was spent, by all means advocate about the issue. But tell people who care, and leave out the apples / oranges stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I doubt the poster has some agenda you are alluding to.
    Last thread you also kept confusing city and county councils. Which is it you refer to in this thread, city or county?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,147 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

biko wrote: »
    I doubt the poster has some agenda you are alluding to.
    Last thread you also kept confusing city and county councils. Which is it you refer to in this thread, city or county?

The article the OP linked clearly states its the county council, couldnt be clearer.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Aye, but title says "city" so I'm thinking we may have a repeat of the last confusing city/county thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭chuky_r_law

nice carpet. i wonder who put that in

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bagels

Before the renovation, there was very limited access for the public in the chamber. It's probably much less now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement