Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Leftovers Thread

Options
  • 26-12-2015 3:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

No shortage of inspiration for the left over turkey... But not sure what to do with the honey glazed ham, other than meat and two veg dinner.... Any suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

I diced some turkey and ham and mixed it in a bowl with cranberry sauce and stuffing for sambos for lunch.
    You could dice the ham and put in in a carbonara or another pasta dish.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,102 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Sheet of puff pastry on a baking tray. Sprinkle large red onions, break off a few lumps of cheese and more lumps of ham. Into the oven for 25 mins. Cut into 12 pieces. I've just done it now with left over port salut, it's fab as a snack.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

so far i've had

Turkey and stuffing sandwich (breadstuffing)
    Leftover sausage stuffing (fried as a bread size/shaped patty)

My brother fried upthe remaining potato stuffing with some ham, spuds, gravy and other stuffings.

I plan on turning more turkey into curry, and the ham in to sandwiches and omlettes

Reheating spuds and croquettes in teh george foreman always go down well

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Turkey and ham pie! Make up a nice bechamel from half milk, half chicken/turkey stock, stir in the leftover turkey and ham (adding some fried mushrooms and some sweetcorn or peas optional), put into a shortcrust pastry case and top with puff. Glaze with an egg and bake! Eat with mash and veggies. Absolute winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭catgalway

No ham here but I've now introduced my kids to Turkey & cranberry stuffing pizza ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭caille

These are my go to recipes for Christmas left overs:

- turkey/ham with stuffing toasties
    - remains of cheese board put under grill on top of bread
    - Homemade quiche with turkey and/or ham
    -Spagetti cabonara with turkey or ham
    - Turkey/ham with two veg (standard, but can be nice day or two after)
    - Left over pudding mixed with ice cream makes a seriously nice pudding ice cream
    -Turkey and ham pie, very very nice

When all else fails and you just can't face too many left overs, once all the above has cooled down, I portion everything and freeze them, I have been known to have turkey and two veg in early February :-()

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

Made a pea & ham soup with the stock off the turkey carcass. I probably over salted it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,758 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

eoinmorris wrote:
    No shortage of inspiration for the left over turkey... But not sure what to do with the honey glazed ham, other than meat and two veg dinner.... Any suggestions?

Darina Allen's gateau pithivier. I can't copy and paste the direct link as I'm on mobile but it's on eatyourbooks.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭catho_monster

I fill plastic containers with leftover turkey, then cover with apple juice and freeze. When I defrost, I just throw it all in a pan and heat until the turkey soaks up the juice.
    Turns out seriously tasty and not at all dry...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Potato croquettes with diced ham (or turkey or both) mash potatoes, salt & pepper, sweet corn, diced ham - (flour, egg and breadcrumb)/ I shallow Fry because they are quite big and serve with salad leaves.

Or

Baked potatoes - take out potato with a spoon and mash with a little milk, butter diced ham and left over cheese - refill empty skins and bake for another 15 minutes. Delicious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

My fave 'leftover' dishes would be fairly straightforward...

Turkey bone soup
    Warmed turkey & ham with bubble & squeak
    Turkey & pickled onion sambos
    Toasted ham, cheese & mustard sambos (usually for brekky)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

This christmas we had a lot of leftovers. Roast pork & meatballs from Christmas eve, one whole turkey we bought on a mad 75% off impulse on Stephen's day, leftover ham, turkey & sides from my mam's on Christmas day

- Leftover pie (ham, turkey & roast pork chunks in a white wine & tarragon sauce under puff)
    - leftover mash, stuffing, roasties & ham made into a big potato cake
    - Turkey stock soup w/chunks of turkey and rice
    - leftover meatballs traded for tricks & good behaviour with the dog
    - Leftover pork sliced thinly & eaten with sriracha, coriander & garlic mayo in sammidges a lá a very rough approximation of banh mi

We have 2 turkey legs in the freezer that I'm going to bone & stuff for dinner & sandwiches over the weekend. Then no more poultry for a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Zimmey

I fill plastic containers with leftover turkey, then cover with apple juice and freeze. When I defrost, I just throw it all in a pan and heat until the turkey soaks up the juice.
    Turns out seriously tasty and not at all dry...

As a turkey fan and an apple juice fan, I'm intrigued!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭catho_monster

Zimmey wrote: »
    As a turkey fan and an apple juice fan, I'm intrigued!

There's nothing not to like, completely complimentary flavours! Just prevents the meat drying out in the freezer or during reheating...

Tried it one year because it's what I had in the fridge and it worked so well we've done it for about the last three years (tried cranberry juice too the first time, worked but not as well, needed adding to on reheating to balance flavours...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Zimmey

There's nothing not to like, completely complimentary flavours! Just prevents the meat drying out in the freezer or during reheating...

Tried it one year because it's what I had in the fridge and it worked so well we've done it for about the last three years (tried cranberry juice too the first time, worked but not as well, needed adding to on reheating to balance flavours...)

Sounds amazing!

Advertisement