Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PCG Recommend A Steamsale Game

• 26-12-2015 5:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭

Figured we may as well have one of these, before we (and i mean me) start repeating ourselves in the steam sales thread.

So, what games would you recommend buying as the prices are all static discounts in this years steamsale?

Here's a few great strategy games (imo) that you may have overlooked

Xenonauts
    A clone of the original XCOM, turn based strategy, well worth the price tag atm. Full release game, priced at a tenner.

Darkest Dungeon
    More turn based strategy, this time with some comic elements, and some really interesting mechanics like stress, and heart attacks for your heroes to struggle through. You cant go wrong for a tenner if you like TBS and roguelike gameplay. Pre-release alpha, full release expected early 2016 so it's almost complete.

Company of Heroes 2
    Absolute bargain at €7.50 - The single player is alright, The expansion 'Ardennes Offensive' is cracking good. Even the stock game by itself has some truly brilliant multiplayer, both PVP and CO-OP. I've personally racked up over 1200 hours in this since it's release, even if half of that is me being afk it's still great value for money :)

So, got any recommendations yourself?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,433 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Would second Darkest Dungeon, though they jigged the stress mechanic in the last update so that it's a bit harder than previous iterations, and will likely be made a bit easier on full release. So, if you do get it and find stress unmanageable - don't lose heart. It's a very rewarding game once you stick at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

I won't repeat the games I recommended here, so check those recommendations out too.

After getting Hard West as a surprise Christmas gift, I'd recommend it. Just finished the first campaign, and I am seriously impressed, I can say I hands down prefer this to XCom it's that good. It's fairly new so only has a 30% discount, but at €13.99 it's a good deal.

Wolfenstein: The New Order - €7.50/85% off.
    Easily one of the best first person shooters in years, and at that price you'd be mad not to snatch it up.

The Evil Within - €8.99/85% off.
    Seemed to be a bit of a love it or hate it game, but I absolutely adore this. Good old survival horror gameplay, that manages to work in stealth mechanics as well. It does a great job of making you feel like ever bullet counts, and that you're scraping by with barely enough resources. You'll die constantly, and horribly.

The Witcher - €1.19/85% off
    Yes, the first one. It's dated badly, the voice acting is horrific, it takes ages to get into, and the gameplay is really clunky, but once you get into it is seriously engrossing. If you're willing to get past the clunkiness it is a really, really rewarding game with a great story and a lot of charm. It rocketed it's way up to one of my most played games in no time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

How long is the campaign in Hard West?

A few staple recommendations, which a lot of people already have, but are still great deals.

Bioshock Triple Pack - €8.99/85% off.
    Metro Redux Bundle - €7.49/75% off.
    Portal Bundle - €4.99/80% off.
    Deus Ex Collection - €8.24/75% off.

How long is the campaign in Hard West?

Not sure. There are several campaigns, I've only completed the first which is pretty short, but I think that's more like a prologue. 2 more campaigns became unlocked after I've completed it. I'd say there might be quite a bit of replayability there, I nearly want to replay the first campaign right away and see what happens when I make different choices.

• Advertisement

might give it a shot so, cheers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Helldivers shoot em up coop game with a bit of depth and tactics required. Its quite good, the team killing aspect makes it a bit harder then normal games of this type. Like when your firing a mini gun from a mech it is possible you will miss :P

Also dropping supplies on team mates happens a lot more than you think.

Killing Floor 2 horde killing coop zombie game. Only played an hour or so and was following some level 19 chap seems like good fun when you have a clue what weapons to use and when.

Mad Max

A steal at 17 euro, i bought this at full price and loved it from start to end, beautiful openworld 3rd person driving and combat with some light rpg elements. Decent enough story and is fairly cannon to all of the films including the most recent one, or maybe especially the most recent one. Lots of cars and lots of damage to do. The car combat is really something to behold - nothing beats sideswiping a crippled auto and seeing it burst into a million little bits with wheels and armour plates flying through the awesome looking petrol explosions and black oily smoke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Max Payne and Max Payne 2. Think you can get them both for a fiver. I havn't played in the last few years so not sure if it's maybe aged badly, but these were the my undisputed best single player games I've ever played, and still holds true today. Replayed them so many times.

wow, just seen this on steam - massive flashback :D

System Shock 2 - cannot go wrong for 2 quid

• Advertisement

Convoy €6.50

It's essentially FTL but without the timelimit and in a 2d open world map, been playing this for hours now it's great craic :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

NEO Scavenger - €7.49

NEO Scavenger is a post apocalyptic, hex based, rogue-like survival adventure game. Extremely difficult but ultimately rewarding game to play and immense detail has gone into the various mechanics into the game such as survival & crafting. Explore the world as you try unravel how you awoke into the future but you can do this however you like.

NEO Scavenger is my own personal Indie GOTY of 2015 and I highly recommend it.

Project Zomboid - €9.37

Do you like Survival Games? Do you like Isometric Games? Do you like Zombies?

Project Zomboid is a game then blends all 3 really well and gives one of the most authentic zombie survival experiences in a game to date. There's plenty to do for you to try survive the world and plenty of zombies to kill or avoid, the only question is... how long will you survive for?

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin - €15.19

A must for any Dark Souls fan, especially at that price as the Scholar of the First Sin includes all DLC, runs on DX11 (improved lighted/effects) and new item/enemy placements. While not as "good" as Dark Souls 1, Dark Souls 2 is still a very good game and an amazing experience in it's own right and still one of my top played games on Steam.

Eldritch - €1.19

A voxel based Rogue-Like game with a Lovecraftian theme. Levels are randomly generated as you try explore all manners of environments and monsters. Use a variety of weapons and powers as you reach further into this rabbit hole.

Legend of Grimrock One & Two
    - €5.59 bundled for both games

Tile based Dungeon Crawler where you create your party and explore visually stunning crafted environments with puzzles to solve and enemies to fight. Highly recommended for RPG fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

The Stanley Parable

A relatively short but extremely intelligent and amusing first person satire/comedy game. Has to be tried.

Advertisement