Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Premier League Relegation Thread - 2015/2016

• 26-12-2015 8:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭

Always an interesting thread and since we're virtually halfway through it's time for this seasons edition.

So, who do you think is going to drop this season?

6bc729e3634a3305ae76d79dc994f002.png

IMO it's very difficult to see Aston Villa and Sunderland getting out of trouble now. 9 and 5 points behind respectively while other teams down there are ticking on points relatively regularly. They're also essentially 10 and 6 points behind a few teams considering their horrendous goal differences of -17 and -18 respectively compared to some of their relegation rivals. Though Villa do have a superb run of games to take them to the end of February, failure to beat Watford and West Ham at home in recent weeks wouldn't give much confidence, while Sunderland have already blown the vast majority of their easier home games. Both sides do play each other in the New Years slate of games however which will be interesting if not one for the neutrals!

Villa and Sunderland down with 1 more to follow for me. I've always thought Bournemouth might be quiet similar to Blackpool in the way it goes for them so I'll select them as my 3rd team to drop despite a fantastic effort after a few serious injuries to key players.

Poll to follow. And no, before someone suggests it Chelsea won't be getting relegated or included in the poll.

Who Will Get Relegated This Season? (Select 3) 359 votes

Aston Villa
    0%
    Sunderland
    33%
    Bounty HunterDoodeesuper_furryCorben Dallasthe whole year innGuy:Incognitodavehey79Kingp35cruiserweightjoe123jemMr.Nice Guy[Deleted User]Roddy23ctrl-alt-deletePigheadDuck Soupdavycc5starpoolNukaCola 119 votes
    Newcastle
    23%
    Bounty HunterDoodeesuper_furrydavehey79Kingp35jem[Deleted User]ctrl-alt-deletePigheadDuck Soupdavycc5starpoolNukaColaMushyDubDaniJuxtaposeDamien360adaminhoRoryMacpopulation 85 votes
    Norwich
    9%
    Bounty HunterDoodeeCorben DallascruiserweightMr.Nice Guyctrl-alt-deletedavyccShanotheslayerinternelligentMoneymakerNiskaeagle eyeHalloweenJackwijamMister RobinsonHammer ArcherSheepy99WallyGUFCRayConFerris_Bueller 35 votes
    Swansea
    20%
    the whole year innGuy:Incognitojoe123Mr.Nice Guy[Deleted User]Roddy23Duck Soup5starpoolNukaColaMushyDubDaniJuxtaposePast30NowDamien360adaminhoShanotheslayerinternelligentRoryMacpopulationbantee 74 votes
    Bournemouth
    4%
    Corben DallascruiserweightRoddy23Past30Nowdfx-tailgunnercadeteWallyGUFCbackspacerJohnDeeCracklebrianregan09WhatsisnameMaysa07Lithium93_westernfrenzy 16 votes
    West Brom
    7%
    super_furrythe whole year innGuy:Incognitodavehey79Kingp35joe123jemPigheadkeith16SantryRedtomred1irelandroverGavRedKingWashington IrvingFerris_Buellerstiffler123PinturicchioBig Pussy BonpensieroPaully DCrackle 26 votes
    Southampton
    1%
    dfx-keith16CSFCheese Wagstaff 4 votes

Comments

Bottom 2 plus Bournemouth I would've thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Poll to follow. And no, before someone suggests it Chelsea won't be getting relegated or included in the poll.

Why not ?

Why not ?

Realism/common sense/trying to encourage reasonable discussion I would have guessed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Sunderland could easily escape tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

West Brom
    Leicester arent safe yet......................:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Swansea
    Villa, Sunderland and Norwich

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Swansea
    Chelsea aren't a poll option?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Chelsea aren't a poll option?
    Because Chelsea posess enough resources both on the field and in the bank to allow themselves get out of trouble.
    Something the likes of Bourmouth, Norwich, W.B.A etc don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Norwich
    hopefully villa , newcastle and sunderland go down 3 teams that contibute very little imho and deserve a few seasons in the lower lgs with portsmouth and leeds

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Southampton
    Villa, Swansea and West Brom. The Premier League needs a clearout of some of the hangers-on that offer nothing, so hopefully Newcastle/Sunderland go instead of Swansea.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Swansea
    Deffo

Aston Villa
    Sunderland

and probably

Norwich

though you can make a case for a few others (but not Soton!), Swansea and Bournemouth for example grabbed some points recently but they feel like sides that could go into a tailspin with some bad luck, that said January cometh and both have teh chance to buttress the attack in particular.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Sunderland could easily escape tbh

agree , every year we hear Sunderland are doomed , and a couple of wins and Big Sam at the helm , and they are back in it .
    There is no way Chelsea will be relegated , by April they will be at the very least mid table.
    Hope West Brom go down , nothing against the club, but can't stand Pullis and his horrible football , and never-ending moaning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Southampton
    davycc wrote: »
    hopefully villa , newcastle and sunderland go down 3 teams that contibute very little imho and deserve a few seasons in the lower lgs with portsmouth and leeds

I never get this argument of "contributing". What exactly is it that a club like Villa need to contribute? I am no fan of Villa, but they have a long and rich history in top flight football and contribute a hell of a lot to the local community.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭westernfrenzy

Bournemouth
    Villa, Sunderland and Swansea. The third choice was hard enough but just went for Swansea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

West Brom
    dfx- wrote: »
    Villa, Swansea and West Brom. The Premier League needs a clearout of some of the hangers-on that offer nothing, so hopefully Newcastle/Sunderland go instead of Swansea.

As a Sunderland fanzine quite rightly put it yesterday:

09c5809b360ff899bcbf7571a4e99848.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,053 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Swansea
    Villa, Sunderland and Norwich for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Swansea
    Villa,Newc,Norwich

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

West Brom
    As much as I'd like to see Villa stay up, I think they're too far gone. Sunderland however, I believe are capable of getting themselves out of it.

Sunderland have the experience and the perfect manager to scrap together the results necessary to get out of this. With Defoe and Borini, they have strikers capable of getting them the goals too. West Brom aside, I don't think there's another team down there that have a manager as capable of grinding out results as Big Sam.

I can see Bournmouth fading as fatigue takes its toll on their smaller squad. Additionally, going into the second half of the season, they'll find it difficult, as newly promoted clubs generally do, with their weaknesses becoming more known and exposed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

West Brom
    I'd say Aston Villa, Newcastle & Bournemouth. Aston Villa have been terrible this year and I can't see them getting any better, a relegation might be the kick up the arse that seems to be needed at Villa. Bournemouth were always going to find it tough this season and despite their better form lately I think their smaller squad and real lack of PL quality players could hurt them by the time May comes around. I think Sunderland will pull off the escape towards the end of the season and it could come down to them or Newcastle for the final spot, Sunderlands experience in relegation scraps could come in handy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Swansea
    Villa are the definites for me, that's already one place gone as far as i'm concerned. I think Allardyce will be experiencing his first relegation. The last spot was between Bournemouth or Norwich and i've chosen Norwich.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Norwich
    keith16 wrote: »
    I never get this argument of "contributing". What exactly is it that a club like Villa need to contribute? I am no fan of Villa, but they have a long and rich history in top flight football and contribute a hell of a lot to the local community.

all pl clubs contribute off the pitch to their local communities but it should not be used as a reason for me to take it easy on villa:)
    same arguement didnt save leeds going down after all their glorious past

villa along with sunderland and newcastle have served up such slop on and of the field that they deserve relegation in my opinion and have been just hanging on far too long

West Brom
    Sunderland v Aston Villa today at 3pm.

A huge game for both sides, but I think the fact that even with a win today Sunderland would be at least 4 points from safety and even with a win today Villa would be at least 8 points from safety shows how much trouble both teams are really in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

keith16 wrote: »

I think you're looking at it a bit much - he's effectively saying they're shite so should go down :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Norwich
    Reckon Villa are good as gone. The way they are talking it's as if they've already accepted relegation. There doesn't seem to be any fight whatsoever in them.

Sunderland seem to be struggling again after a brief bounce following Allardyce's appointment and don't seem them being able to turn it around again.

I reckon Newcastle are the going to be the third side. They seem to really struggle to get into any kind of form. A few wins here and there but they don't seem to be able to click over the course of a few games.

I think the other sides have enough in them to be able to stay ahead of those three and I think Alex Neil and Eddie Howe, in particular, both have enough know-how to keep their sides up.

West Brom
    Sunderland 3-1 Aston Villa.

Surely there's no way back for Villa now, though it might also be too little too late for Sunderland to be fair with Norwich and Bournemouth picking up points yet again.

Sunderland remain 4 points from safety, 5 when goal difference is accounted for, and have 1 fixture they'll be favourites to win in between now and the start of April.

West Brom
    Yeah, short of some sort of miracle , I can't see Villa getting out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,053 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Swansea
    Villa has 98% of the vote so...there's one person that voted that does'nt think they will go down!

Fair play, that's a brave shout!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Swansea
    Villa are gone. Reckon it'll be 2 from Newcastle, Norwich and Swansea.

I can see Big Sam pulling Sunderland clear and it looks like Bournmouth will strengthen over the window. I think if Swansea get a good manager in they will pull clear but that doesnt look like happening anytime soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭cson

Interesting couple of weeks down the bottom...

Bournemouth 24
    Norwich 23
    Newcastle 21
    Swansea 19
    Sunderland 18

Bournemouth have surprised me with their last couple of results & Afobe looks like an astute signing regardless of where they finish -he's proven in the Championship if they do go down.

Norwich are in freefall, as are Swansea. Think Big Sam will get a tune out of Sunderland sooner or later and Newcastle just have better players than everyone around them which will see them scrape through imo.

Villa, Swansea and Norwich for me.

• Advertisement

West Brom
    Sunderland and Villa are gone for sure.

It's all down to that 18th spot now which is between Bournemouth, Swansea and Norwich for me.

Newcastle will be absolutely fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Paully D wrote: »
    Sunderland and Villa are gone for sure.

It's all down to that 18th spot now which is between Bournemouth, Swansea and Norwich for me.

Newcastle will be absolutely fine.

Pah I still have faith in the Villa, win our next 5 and were out of the drop zone :pac:

West Brom
    A huge win for Swansea at Everton puts another nail in the coffins of Villa and Sunderland.

Sunderland play City (H), Liverpool (A), United (H) and West Ham (A) in their next four games :rolleyes: 4 defeats on the way there and will be out of touch by March.

Newcastle, Bournemouth, Norwich and Swansea battling to avoid that last spot, though I still think Newcastle will be fine. I'm still confident with my Villa, Sunderland, Bournemouth prediction.

f301bb54ae383bf644995f0eda6c70fb.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

A huge win for Swansea at Everton puts another nail in the coffins of Villa and Sunderland.

Sunderland play City (H), Liverpool (A), United (H) and West Ham (A) in their next four games :rolleyes: 4 defeats on the way there and will be out of touch by March.

Newcastle, Bournemouth, Norwich and Swansea battling to avoid that last spot, though I still think Newcastle will be fine. I'm still confident with my Villa, Sunderland, Bournemouth prediction.

Its funny, if the Villa had Defoe, I dont think we would be in this problem right now :(

West Brom
    For the bottom team that only had 8 points, Villa had a reasonable few games, picking up a win and a couple of draws, yet they end up a point further adrift of safety than when the thread was started.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Chelsea look odds on for a precious three points in their battle😉

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Can you include Everton in the poll because we have dougal McGuire as manager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

For the bottom team that only had 8 points, Villa had a reasonable few games, picking up a win and a couple of draws, yet they end up a point further adrift of safety than when the thread was started.
    Villa are screwed. As you've said, they're not closing the gap at all, and don't look capable of doing so. Who's going to score them the goals that they need?

Starting to doubt my confidence in Sunderland for the first time since October.

I knew their fixtures improved significantly from end of Feb but if they are too detached, at that stage, then belief and morale might be too low.

They could really do with two points from their next four games and, as unlikely as that seems, this has been an unpredictable season to say the least. Hopefully they manage four points. If they are within reasonable distance after those four games, for example don't lose all four, then I would still expect a rally from them.

They did beat Villa and Swansea recently but really dropped the ball against Bournemouth. A win in that game would've put them right where they needed to be before this tough run of fixtures.

I still think they have the experience to get out of trouble and if Defoe stays fit they definitely have the goalscorer they need.

No doubt, in my mind, that Villa and Norwich are gone.

It's too early to say if Swansea's new found form will become their norm although a victory away to Everton was very impressive. It might just be the new manager bounce with normality to resume shortly.

Bournemouth have been great to watch and I think, considering injuries, their style of play and the all round joy seeing such a small club do well, they deserve to stay up.

Would love to see Newcastle go down but I think they have too many good players and have added two more in the window with talk of more to come.

It looks like it's between Sunderland and Swansea for that final place.

West Brom
    Bump after gameweek 25.

A huge win for Newcastle at home to West Brom. Sunderland fight back from 2 down to draw 2-2 at Anfield. Swansea draw 1-1 at home to Palace and Norwich lose 2-0 to Villa at Villa Park.

Again, very difficult to see Sunderland or Villa doing anything despite picking up good results today. Newcastle will be fine after their recruitment in January (making them one of Europe's biggest spenders this season) and the fact they generally win their home games against those around them. Norwich fans must be extremely worried now.

56359811936e811aad6cb149cacf9552.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Swansea
    I predicted for Villa, Sunderland, Norwich when this went up. Can't see much changing that. Villa, Sunderland have too much to do, Norwich are worst of the rest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

I think Sunderland might get out again , they have been playing better , and Big Sam will drive them to there best - think Swansea and Norwich might drop - hope West Brom go down and see the back of Tony Pullis hoofball revolution at the Hawthorns

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Newcastle will be fine after their recruitment in January (making them one of Europe's biggest spenders this season) and the fact they generally win their home games against those around them.

Jaysus Paully you're more obsessed about our spending than most Newcastle fans. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

I reckon Leicester will.

I reckon Leicester will.

667549.jpg

You're living in the past WoollyRedHat, quit living in the past.

West Brom
    I've just had a punt on Bournemouth at 18's with Bet Victor. Norwich look like joining Sunderland and Villa to be honest, but Bournemouth should be less than half that price IMO.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Southampton
    Looks like Swansea will survive, huge points recently. Norwich are doomed to take their place after that defeat to Liverpool, it'll take them weeks to recover.

West Brom
    dfx- wrote: »
    Looks like Swansea will survive, huge points recently. Norwich are doomed to take their place after that defeat to Liverpool, it'll take them weeks to recover.

Yeah Swansea will be fine. It feels a lot longer than just 3 weeks since they lost 4-2 at home to Sunderland! 8 points from Watford (H), Everton (A), West Brom (A), Palace (H) since then and they've still got home games against Norwich and Villa as well as away games against Bournemouth and Newcastle to come amongst other winnables.

Sunderland win.

Norwich play West Ham at home.

Newcastle away to Chelsea.

---

This could be a big day in the relegation battle. West Ham haven't beaten Norwich at Carrow Road in the Premier League and as bad a slide they're on right now, it surely can't last forever....

Newcastle have an ok record against Chelsea away from home recently but they're on the longest unbeaten run in the league right now.

Norwich losing is the best result I can hope for anyway before we kick off at 5:30pm.

I still think the Tyne-Wear derby will determine who of Newcastle or Sunderland will go down. Given the dominance Sunderland have in this fixture, it could well be them who survive but still a good bit of football to be played until then.

Getting nervy now because Sunderland look to be coming into their annual good string of results phase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

West Brom
    That_Guy wrote: »

Newcastle have an ok record against Chelsea away from home recently but they're on the longest unbeaten run in the league right now.

Stat attack, no team in the last 5 seasons have taken more points off Chelsea than Newcastle and I dread every time we play ye.

Last 5 seasons Newcastle have picked up 13pts against us, I wouldnt read too much into that record either theres been some terrible draws, Watford x 2 , Everton and WBA come to mind. We're really poxy this year not to be lower and in the mix to go down and thats not hyperbole.

I genuinely think Newcastle could pick up points today too, we've PSG away in a few days, all the players wil be looking at that game and may not want the battle Newcastle could put up.

Oh FFS, Norwich winning now.

As it stands currently:

16th - Bournemouth 28pts
    17th - Norwich 26pts
    18th - Newcastle 24pts
    19th - Sunderland 23pts
    20th - Villa 16pts

Disaster of a day.

• Advertisement
Advertisement