Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Premier League Relegation Thread - 2015/2016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Brady and Hoolahan scoring is great for Ireland.... Shíte for Newcastle. You lovable bastards.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Swansea
    That_Guy wrote:
    Brady and Hoolahan scoring is great for Ireland.... Shíte for Newcastle. You lovable bastards.

2-2 now!

All set up for a 94th Andy Carroll winner!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

West Brom
    Sunderland huge winners today, beating Manchester United 2-1 while Swansea, Newcastle and Bournemouth lost and Norwich drew 2-2 after being 2-0 up at home to West Ham.

118c16fcc90477fe9e34f05d52b6bc82.png

They're still going down IMO, but it's the hope that kills you!

Very happy with my 18/1 bet on Bournemouth now also. They've dropped to 8/1 since in the space of 2 games.

Swansea
    Bad loss for Sunderland over the weekend

West Brom
    Villa and Sunderland are obviously gone. Nothing needs to be said about Villa's situation while Sunderland can't keep a clean sheet nor win games they should.

Norwich look in huge trouble now.

Big win for Bournemouth tonight.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Swansea
    Still think Sam will get you out of it Paully. Really should have gotten a point at the weekend. Enough winnable games between now and May to get clear. Norwich look in big trouble. 1 point out of their last 8 games.

Good news for Leicester fans. Mathematically safe from relegation :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Norwich
    Still think Sam will get you out of it Paully.

He already has! :pac: Sunderland are in 17th now, out of the relegation zone.

West Brom
    So realistically it's down to Norwich, Sunderland and Newcastle for 2 of the last 3 spots alongside Villa.

25913c22ff262569ffc60d8b3f3d5070.png

I still maintain Newcastle will be fine. As I pointed out earlier in the thread, they do relatively very well at home to teams in the bottom half and they still have Bournemouth, Sunderland, Swansea and Palace to entertain.

Norwich are in free-fall while Sunderland simply cannot keep a clean sheet which will be what makes them come unstuck in the end.

Villa, Norwich, Sunderland will drop now IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Norwich
    Huge win for Swansea (now 8 points above the dropzone) as now it really is hard not to agree with Paulie above. Really looks like its 2/3 from Newcastle, Sunderland & Norwich to join Villa and you would have to assume the tyne clubs are the best equipped to save themselves.

McClaren really should be out the door cos the fact that Big Sam might be able to motivate Sunderland could be the difference at the moment although I think a new man in and Newcastle have enough quality to perhaps pick up enough points esp at home (not that todays result reflect that) to do it.

West Brom
    Moyes ready to answer Newcastle's SOS, per The Telegraph.

That'll be more than enough to get them safe this season and just reinforces that Villa, Norwich and Sunderland will drop.

Swansea
    Really is 2 from 3 at this stage between Newcastle, Sunderland and Norwich. They all have to play each other still as well with Norwich at home to both and with a slightly easier run in.

Fixtures remaining:
    Newcastle
    Leicester v Newcastle Mon 14 Mar
    Newcastle v Sunderland Sun 20 Mar
    Norwich v Newcastle Sat 2 Apr
    Southampton v Newcastle Sat 9 Apr
    Newcastle v Swansea Sat 16 Apr
    Liverpool v Newcastle Sat 23 Apr
    Newcastle v Crystal Palace Sat 30 Apr
    Aston Villa v Newcastle Sat 7 May
    Newcastle v Tottenham Sun 15 May

Sunderland
    Sunderland P-P Everton TBD
    Newcastle v Sunderland Sun 20 Mar
    Sunderland v West Brom Sat 2 Apr
    Sunderland v Leicester Sun 10 Apr
    Norwich v Sunderland Sat 16 Apr
    Sunderland v Arsenal Sun 24 Apr
    Stoke v Sunderland Sat 30 Apr
    Sunderland v Chelsea Sat 7 May
    Watford v Sunderland Sun 15 May

Norwich
    Norwich v Man City Sat 12 Mar
    West Brom v Norwich Sat 19 Mar
    Norwich v Newcastle Sat 2 Apr
    Crystal Palace v Norwich Sat 9 Apr
    Norwich v Sunderland Sat 16 Apr
    Norwich v Watford Sat 23 Apr
    Arsenal v Norwich Sat 30 Apr
    Norwich v Man Utd Sat 7 May
    Everton v Norwich Sun 15 May

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

Swansea
    Ya but Norwich are the worst of the three teams. 35 points will stay up I think so that means Sunderland need 10 more and Norwich and Newcastle each need 11.

Think in terms of quality Newcastle have the most of the three and if McClaren is sacked then I think they'll manage to get the 3 wins to save themselves.

Sunderland are probably playing the best over the last month or so out of any of them and have a manager who has been here so many times before and beaten the drop.

Hard to make much of a case for Norwich though I think

West Brom
    There's no doubt that Bournemouth are now safe on 38 points. Cracking achievement considering the injuries they've had, but I didn't quite realise just how much they'd spent this season. £40m with virtually nothing back in. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭cson

Afobe was a great signing.

Re the £40m - it'll be small beans now that they'll be there for the new TV money.

• Advertisement

West Brom
    Huge win for Norwich at West Brom today. They're now above Sunderland into 17th place by 3 points, but have a worse goal difference than Sunderland and have played 2 more games than both Sunderland and Newcastle who play each other tomorrow.

Those 2 home games against Sunderland and Newcastle for Norwich have so much riding on them now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

Swansea
    Massive win for Norwich. As it stands I'd love the bottom three to stay as it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

West Brom
    Guzan has had a mare for the Swansea goal, otherwise villa were well in the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Norwich aren't out of it yet. As has already been pointed, the two North East teams below them have games in hand over them. But Norwich do still have to play those sides. Whoever loses the Tyne/Wear derby tomorrow lunchtime will be in serious trouble. And a draw isn't really much use to either of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Swansea
    Palace back in the middle of it, only 5 points up on Norwich , and the derby today could see them very much looking over their shoulders

• Advertisement

West Brom
    Great result for Norwich today with Newcastle drawing at home to Sunderland. The next 3 gameweeks are mouth-watering at the bottom:

Norwich v Newcastle
    Sunderland v West Brom

Crystal Palace v Norwich
    Sunderland v Leicester
    Southampton v Newcastle

Norwich v Sunderland
    Newcastle v Swansea

Norwich are in a nice position with those 2 home games against Sunderland and Newcastle. If they were to take 6 points from those 2 games you'd have to think they'd be okay. They've also got the goal difference advantage over Newcastle.

Swansea
    Had to check today and I see CP not in the list, they are really falling and I can see them getting sucked in if they don't get a win soon and confidence continues to drop. Although 2 wins should see them safe if they can get them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Norwich
    They are the unform team. 2 points from 30, even Villa have more than them in that spell. If any of the three below them can go on a decent run then Palace will really be in trouble.

They don't have an easy run-in at all either:
    West Ham (A)
    Norwich (H)
    Arsenal (A)
    Man U (A)
    Newcastle (A)
    Stoke (H)
    Southampton (A)

and the Everton (H) game to be played at some point too. Can see them going all out against Norwich and Newcastle to try and save themselves.

Swansea
    They are the unform team. 2 points from 30, even Villa have more than them in that spell. If any of the three below them can go on a decent run then Palace will really be in trouble.

They don't have an easy run-in at all either:
    West Ham (A)
    Norwich (H)
    Arsenal (A)
    Man U (A)
    Newcastle (A)
    Stoke (H)
    Southampton (A)

and the Everton (H) game to be played at some point too. Can see them going all out against Norwich and Newcastle to try and save themselves.

They really need to win that Norwich game at home. Struggle to see where they will pick up a win otherwise unless Stoke and Southampton are on holidays at the end of the season. Can see Newcastle and Sunderland grabbing a few wins over the coming weeks to pile on the pressure

Swansea
    Had to check today and I see CP not in the list, they are really falling and I can see them getting sucked in if they don't get a win soon and confidence continues to drop. Although 2 wins should see them safe if they can get them

I just noticed that too. And Southampton are on the list but now have an, albeit very outside chance, of CL qualification.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Norwich
    Looking at that table in the OP, Palace have amassed a grand total of three points from their last 36. With that form, and their run-in, they must be getting a bit nervy.

Also the Pardew thread would be a massive cluster**** if they ended up going down, even more so if Newcastle stayed up!

West Brom
    If Norwich beat Sunderland in a couple of weeks time, it looks like that's that for Sunderland and Newcastle alongside Villa.

The 2 north-east clubs have been skidmarks on the Premier League over the last few years so I doubt anyone neutral will miss either of us to be honest.

Crazy that it looks like 3 clubs with the size and resources of the aforementioned will be dropping.

Swansea
    Newcastle gone after todays defeat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Swansea
    Villa will be gone next week.

Newcastle look like following them.

One of Norwich and Sunderland will follow them down

Palace look safe, Bournemouth are safe in all but name.

Swansea
    Certainly looks to be between Norwich and Sunderland for the last spot now. Palace finally got the win to effectively make them safe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Mushy wrote: »
    Certainly looks to be between Norwich and Sunderland for the last spot now. Palace finally got the win to effectively make them safe.
    Yeah; I'd agree. Villa and Toon gone. If I was to put money on who the third team will be, I'd say Norwich.

West Brom
    Newcastle still have Swansea and Palace at home along with Villa away to play. If Norwich fail to beat Sunderland next week, they're far from out of it yet.

Though if Norwich do beat Sunderland it's done and dusted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Swansea
    So farewell then Aston Villa
    It was not even a last gasp, final game of the season thriller
    For so long you've been vanilla

EJ Thribb aged 17 and a half

West Brom
    Interesting day at the bottom with Sunderland's win at Norwich and Newcastle's win at home to Swansea. Norwich still have their head above water but it's hard not to think they're the worst placed team out of the 3 to stay up now.

I've thought from the start that Newcastle's midfield/attacking options would prove the difference and that will be the case IMO. They've also got Palace (H) and Villa (A) to come which is virtually a guaranteed 6 points and they'll probably pick up another few points here and there. The fact that year after year Newcastle always do well against bottom half sides will be their saving grace. They'll be staying up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Swansea
    I think Norwich are going down after that result today. I can only see them picking up a point from their last few games. As for the others here's my bit of predictions:

Newcastle (28 pts)

vs Man City (H) 0 pts
    vs Liverpool (A) 0 pts
    vs Cry Pal (H) 3 pts
    vs Villa (A) 3 pts
    vs Spurs (H) 0 pts

Final Total: 34 pts

Sunderland (30 pts)

vs Arsenal (H) 0 pts
    vs Stoke (A) 1 pt
    vs Chelsea (H) 0 pts
    vs Everton (H) 3 pts
    vs Watford (A) 1 pt

Final Total: 35 pts

I think if Newcastle have 34 points or less going into their final game they are pretty much screwed as they have a much inferior goal difference to Sunderland. Even if Stoke were to beat Sunderland, as long as they get just 4 points from their final games they should stay up on goal difference as I can't see Newcastle getting anything from Man City, Liverpool or Spurs.

I think Allardyce will be focusing on those three games against Stoke, Everton and Watford and will fancy his chances of a win and a draw, with a loss not looking fatal - unless Newcastle spring an almighty upset. I fancy Big Sam will pull off another great escape.

West Brom
    Benitez has Newcastle ticking at just the right time. The momentum is with them now and they've got Palace and Villa to play in 2 of their next 3. It's very difficult to see them not getting out of trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Newcastle have given themselves a huge chance with another vital point tonight. They should beat villa and palace but they really need something from the Liverpool match though.

West Brom
    Another excellent point for Newcastle. Rafa has that squad sussed as expected.

30 points now and when you consider they play Palace and Villa in their next 2 games, they'll very likely be on 36 points after 37 games.

Neither Norwich nor Sunderland will even reach 36 points IMO.

Swansea
    Fair play to Benitez. To get two points from games with Man City and Liverpool is seismic.

Big ask for Sunderland to find 2 wins from their remaining fixtures, but there will be some whacky results between now and the end so who knows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Fair play to Benitez. To get two points from games with Man City and Liverpool is seismic.

Big ask for Sunderland to find 2 wins from their remaining fixtures, but there will be some whacky results between now and the end so who knows.
    Watford, Everton Stoke and Chelsea have nothing to play for, I'm going for Sunderland to stay up

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Swansea
    Big point for Sunderland. Lifts them out of the bottom three. I could only listen to it, but it sounded like they could have easily taken all three points.
    Sam seems to be having an effect with 3 clean sheets in their last 4 having been conceding all over the place before that.

Looking at their last four games, if they get the performances, they could easily get 9 points. Stoke seem to be on the beach at this point after conceding 4 in each of their last 3 games, Everton under Martinez are far more beatable than they should be with their players and Watford may have a an FA Cup final to look forward to on the last day of the season. Given the team they put out against us on Wednesday, I'd be shocked if Sunderland don't beat them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

Swansea
    Big point for Sunderland. Lifts them out of the bottom three. I could only listen to it, but it sounded like they could have easily taken all three points.
    Sam seems to be having an effect with 3 clean sheets in their last 4 having been conceding all over the place before that.

Looking at their last four games, if they get the performances, they could easily get 9 points. Stoke seem to be on the beach at this point after losing 4-0 in each of their last 3 games, Everton under Martinez are far more beatable than they should be with their players and Watford may have a an FA Cup final to look forward to on the last day of the season. Given the team they put out against us on Wednesday, I'd be shocked if Sunderland don't beat them.

big games next weekend!

West Brom
    That result would have been great for Sunderland about 30 gameweeks ago but not at this stage.

Unfortunately a point is not good enough considering Newcastle's next two fixtures will yield 6 points.

Disgraceful decision by the referee not to give Sunderland a penalty too. It's difficult enough as it is but when you're also dealing with that sort of rubbish then what chance do you have?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Agueros goal against Newcastle was offside, still think Newcastle are goners

West Brom
    Hard to believe you can get 3/1 on Newcastle to stay up. At least I'll get a summer break paid for when the inevitable happens:

de949159bb40c343ea9b1ea1fb88fc6e.png

• Advertisement

Swansea
    Newcastle's next game is going to be very interesting as they are at home to Palace. You just know Pardew would love to go back there and throw a spanner in the works for their survival hopes. Next weekend is certainly going to have some fantastic matches.

West Brom
    Newcastle's next game is going to be very interesting as they are at home to Palace. You just know Pardew would love to go back there and throw a spanner in the works for their survival hopes. Next weekend is certainly going to have some fantastic matches.

It looks like Spurs will have nothing to play for in the last game of the season now too and won't be bothered at all with the title out of reach.

Palace (H)
    Villa (A)
    Spurs (H)

Very kind fixtures remaining for Newcastle.

3/1 for them to stay up is ridiculous and I'm on at those odds to ease the pain a bit. They'll be almost half that price after this weekend's games IMO.

West Brom
    Pardew "desperate" for Newcastle to stay up. Says it all about how much that **** will be bothering tomorrow. :rolleyes:

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/36165945

Paully D wrote: »
    Pardew "desperate" for Newcastle to stay up. Says it all about how much that **** will be bothering tomorrow. :rolleyes:

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/36165945

in fairness Paully, Palace not bothering in the league isn't just exclusive to the game today. ;)

West Brom
    And that's all folks.

No complaints here. We simply haven't been good enough for years now and pulling off another escape was a step too far. The recruitment has been piss poor year after year and we've spent more money than all but the top teams in the last 9 seasons. The amount of money wasted has been a disgrace and it has finally come back to bite us. Though if Allardyce stays I think he can put together a decent rebuild.

Well done to Newcastle. They've showed serious fight when it really mattered and the appointment of Benitez was as good as I expected. Hopefully we will meet again in the near future.

• Advertisement
Advertisement