Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

favourite christmas present this year?

• 27-12-2015 12:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭

I usually get clothes for xmas from the Mrs but was pleasantly surprised this year to get a 1:24 Airfix spitfire:

http://www.airfix.com/uk-en/spitfire-mkvb-1-24-gift-set.html

can't wait to get stuck into making it up but it'll be well into the new year before I can get the time.

So AH, what pleasant surprises did you get from your loved ones this year?

Comments

John Lenihan's book...

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/other-sports/tough-as-leather-john-lenihan-the-conqueror-of-carrauntoohil-1.2273089

The story of an extraordinary, if unheralded, Irish world champion in an extraordinary sport. A man who still holds the record for up and down Carrauntoohil in 1 hour 11 minutes...which for anyone who has tried it is jaw dropping, a man who beat Kenny Stuart in Snowdon, a freak of nature. And for anyone who knows off road running...a gentleman and an inspiration.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I usually get clothes for xmas from the Mrs but was pleasantly surprised this year to get a 1:24 Airfix spitfire:

http://www.airfix.com/uk-en/spitfire-mkvb-1-24-gift-set.html

can't wait to get stuck into making it up but it'll be well into the new year before I can get the time.

So AH, what pleasant surprises did you get from your loved ones this year?

Lego, and lots of it. I'm well pleased!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

A nice watch that has been really needed.

Love it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Gaygooner

Panti DVD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Tough to pick but right now it's my Marvel Unlimited subscription.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭Corpus Twisty

I'm guessing it's just me who is going "really?" at most of the above..

I'm guessing it's just me who is going "really?" at most of the above..

Well it's a personal preference dear. My God daughter got mw the DVD - it was €12 but I love it

I bought myself an apple watch for myself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

A holiday from the boyfriend. I'm just so happy having a week alone with him, without his family having some drama that he needs to sort out, or mine having the same. :) I thought I'd get the usual Yankee candles and a phone :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MonsterCookie

Gaygooner wrote: »

cool, well wear. I treated myself to a macbook air (I'm worth it!).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

My two year old got me a selection box :D my family ate all of it so it went from being my favourite present to my non existent present in around 10 seconds...........savages.

cool, well wear. I treated myself to a macbook air (I'm worth it!).

You are! Enjoy!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Bartyman

I got an opened bag of Bombay mix😱

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Gaygooner wrote: »

How're you finding it? I have had one since April, really must start wearing it again. Handy for the gym!

My boyfriend got me polarised Ray Bans..love them! Tested them out driving to Kerry in the sun on Christmas Eve....world of different to my scratched Penneys sunglasses I've been using.

Lia_lia wrote: »
    How're you finding it? I have had one since April, really must start wearing it again. Handy for the gym!

My boyfriend got me polarised Ray Bans..love them! Tested them out driving to Kerry in the sun on Christmas Eve....world of different to my scratched Penneys sunglasses I've been using.

I bought it as pure superficial reasons but really love it

Lia_lia wrote: »

The sun always sets over Valentia Island!

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭French_Girl

obezyana wrote:
    My two year old got me a selection box my family ate all of it so it went from being my favourite present to my non existent present in around 10 seconds...........savages.

I grew up with Monica. If you didn't eat fast, you didn't eat!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Box-set of Call the Midwife - squee!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

The gift I get every day; life and love and freedom. We gave up on presents years ago, why not ask what is the best gift you GAVE?

Graces7 wrote: »
    The gift I get every day; life and love and freedom. We gave up on presents years ago, why not ask what is the best gift you GAVE?

Start a thread about it if you want.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

It's hard to pick between the useful, the needed and the thoughtful.

A few great books, a beautifully crafted Christmas ornament, clothes that I wouldn't have bought myself but will certainly get great use of; all come close but the winner is the Bird House make by a granddaughter from a cereal box. Totally impractical but sweet and made and presented to me with such love and pride.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

My Goddaughter got me a smelly set. Ran out of deodorant this morning... Perfect gift :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

Graces7 wrote: »

A ladder. For you to get off your pedestal.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

A nice pair of sunglasses I bought for myself, the best I received was some nice clothes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

I got a sweet-ass new phone from my parents- a Galaxy 6.
    I'd been not-so-subtly hinting towards a new phone throughout the year but never expected to get what I got as my parents generally stick to a modest budget each year. Chuffed to bits and can't stop thanking them. I knew I needed a new phone but never expected to get such a fancy one. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭via4

Mum got me a gorgeous Adidas originals jumper the Rita ora collection I will be living in this jumper until next Xmas hehe...also my present to myself a voucher for a Swedish massage it was originally bought for the guy I was seeing but he didnt get me anything so I'm keeping the voucher :)

via4 wrote: »
    Mum got me a gorgeous Adidas originals jumper the Rita ora collection I will be living in this jumper until next Xmas hehe...also my present to myself a voucher for a Swedish massage it was originally bought for the guy I was seeing but he didnt get me anything so I'm keeping the voucher :)

good for you!

I like the adidas originals stuff but the swedish massage sounds a real treat. is it expensive do you mind me asking?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I got some lovely gifts from people who I didn't expect to get me anything. I got them nothing so that was kind of awkward, had to start stuffing notes in an envelope like a classless scumbag.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭via4

66euro for one hour massage but if you check around prices may vary in the different spas :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,695 ✭✭✭Lisha

My best present was by accident. While looking at top of my wardrobe for a necklace Christmas morning I found Graham Norton's book 'the life and loves of a hedevil' . I had completely forgotten that id bought it and have throughly enjoyed reading it today.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 736 ✭✭✭chillin117

Teeth Whitening. I am Drop Dead Gorgeous but felt my teeth were letting me down. No sleeping alone next year so...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭TG1

A handbag... Shallow I know but for the last few years every time I walked past the shop that sells them I told myself some day I'd have one. They're ridiculously expensive for what they are so would need to be earning a good bit more than I'm on to buy one myself, so when someone else bought one for me I was delighted!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

Digital Air Compressor.

They charge for air now at most garages so will give this a pop for awhile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

I can't choose which is my favourite....the tardis necklace a friend got me or the antique little pen box my sister bought in Indian that used to belong to a Maharaja's secretary.

Also got 2 beautiful bracelets and a stunning charm for my Pandora which I love so much too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Corny, but true. The Viber voice message from my little nephew on Christmas morning telling me what he got from Santa, and also telling me he loved me lots, and I am his favourite aunty.

Little guy has Cerebral Palsy and autism. I needed a few hankies alright after that message! Saw him later and he jumped in the door and flattened me with a big hug and a huge grin. Now that can't be beaten in my eyes anyway!

• Advertisement

Corny, but true. The Viber voice message from my little nephew on Christmas morning telling me what he got from Santa, and also telling me he loved me lots, and I am his favourite aunty.

Little guy has Cerebral Palsy and autism. I needed a few hankies alright after that message! Saw him later and he jumped in the door and flattened me with a big hug and a huge grin. Now that can't be beaten in my eyes anyway!

cool. Nearly needed a tissue myself after reading this!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Donation in lieu of a present to the Laura Lynn Foundation...my favourite charity.

https://lauralynn.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭breffni bogballer

flight,accomadation and ticket for liverpool v arsenal on 13th jan. i come from a large family and got flights early,happy days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭failinis

The books I bought myself.

I was given a couple of donations to charity as gifts, which means a lot and not just for me.

My parents bought my flights so I can spend Christmas with them, for which I'm very grateful. They also bought me a new Kindle paperwhite, and I didn't tell them that I'd just bought one for myself. It won't go to waste.

My Granny knitted me some cushion covers with nice cable patterns for my living room, and also made me up a photobook with copies of old photos of the family. I love them all.

My Nephews gave me a big Toblerone bar, and a love letter telling me they love me and miss me and that I'm not ugly or stupid, which is good to know. It was decorated with glitter, stars, and the ever-present snot. It's priceless.

I'm very lucky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭well spoken man

Apple TV box thingy....and I love it....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭hairyslug

The in-laws got us an actifrier, we've wanted to get one for ages

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

failinis wrote: »
    The books I bought myself.

Same! Working my way through them is very enjoyable.

I also received a gift-set of Angel perfume which is my favourite fake smell.

Best and most unexpected was a cast-iron teapot for loose tea. It sits on my stove perfectly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭EazyD

An Alessi La Conica espresso maker. At first I thought the effort of making espresso the "real way" would be too much but I'm now hooked on it.

Advertisement