Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you still do the Lotto?

• 27-12-2015 12:24am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭

I used to do the Lotto twice per week, but when the price and odds went up I stopped. I suppose rounding it to €5 really highlighted how much I was spending a month and never won anything. I've switched to Euromillions now as its €3 but I'd love to know if they lost many customers or if their strategy is paying off. It seems like it has been won quite a few times since September so the desired mega 'rollover' hasn't happened too often. Has anything been posted on their profits/losses since? We all have a few coins to spare in our pockets but when it comes to notes it's harder to part with them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭yabbav

Statistically Daily Million is the easiest to win but still mad. No i don't play really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Only ever done it once, won nothing. Probably wouldn't do it again. The chances of winning are very slim!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Championship Vinyl

Occasionally. Usually when I'm having one of those days - really hating my job and I'm hoping for a miracle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

It's a tax on stupidity...so yes, every week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

We do, every week.
    Yes, the chances are microscopic. But if you don't play, they're even worse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Only through work. €2 a week. Would be sick if the syndicate won and I wasn't in.

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dopetech.ie

Shenshen wrote: »
    We do, every week.
    Yes, the chances are microscopic. But if you don't play, they're even worse.

what is the mathematical difference? about 10000000\1 if you do and if you don't? it's called stupid tax for a reason

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Gaygooner

No never did

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

yabbav wrote: »
    what is the mathematical difference? about 10000000\1 if you do and if you don't? it's called stupid tax for a reason

I find that statistics tend to have very little bearings on everyday life, for good or bad.
    So I prefer a small chance of something good over no chance at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Yes, I do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Never have, hopefully I will never be desperate enough to try.

I have a hatred of coin. Which I seem to accumulate faster than most. So I periodically throw it all up on the counter in a shop and ask for a lotto ticket. Just to get rid of it.

I check the tickets twice a year. Because I believe that is the time out session. So next time you read in the paper "The winner has not claimed it yet" - It could be YOU - no sorry - ME! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

I only ever did it to get change. What's up with the people who win the jackpot and keep doing it?!

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,343 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I check the tickets twice a year. Because I believe that is the time out session. So next time you read in the paper "The winner has not claimed it yet" - It could be YOU - no sorry - ME! :)

No, it's only 90 days, so you need to check your tickets more often or you could end up missing out on some prizes.

Zaph wrote: »
    No, it's only 90 days, so you need to check your tickets more often or you could end up missing out on some prizes.

Advice that somehow does not gel with your tag line of "Millionaire Oppressor"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,615 ✭✭✭worded

The prizes for 4 and five numbers are so so bad.
    Sometimes a 5 can get you a few 100 or two or three 1000

It's all geared towards the big prize dream

That has out me off

Occasionally I do min spend with no plus
    That's 3 on irish BS lotto
    And 2 on euro

If you are going to win, you are going to win, no point spending more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

yabbav wrote: »

It's called stupid tax because thats what stupid people call it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I have a hatred of coin. Which I seem to accumulate faster than most. So I periodically throw it all up on the counter in a shop and ask for a lotto ticket. Just to get rid of it.

Unless they changed it , it's 90 day you have to claim it.

It's called stupid tax because thats what stupid people call it.

Well done you. Keep buying it. What tacky stuff have you day dreamed about buying when you win big?

I will switch to a seasonal checkup for my coin dump then :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,343 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Advice that somehow does not gel with your tag line of "Millionaire Oppressor"

Well until you're a millionaire I won't be able to oppress you, so there's an element of self interest in my post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Nodster

worded wrote: »
    The prizes for 4 and five numbers are so so bad.
    Sometimes a 5 can get you a few 100 or two or three 1000

It's all geared towards the big prize dream

Had five numbers 12 years ago and was well happy to lift 1,600 bucks, but was peeved off the following draw where the pot was €1,800 odd. Stopped doing it to pay the LPT

Zaph wrote: »
    Well until you're a millionaire I won't be able to oppress you, so there's an element of self interest in my post.

AH I thought you were planning ahead :)

Im _technically_ a millionaire as it happens :/ Seemingly if I liquidate _everything_ I am somewhat valuable. But not a lot. Certainly nothing that can make my quality of life seem all that sexy :)

But if you feel the need to oppress me :) I technically fall into your category.

I miss playing it to be honest. My dream is to be able to live anywhere and make money either online or through import export.. A cash injection would obviously make that a lot easier. I might look into whether or not I can do the euro millions from outside Europe.

Anyone who calls me stupid or says "a tax on the stupid' better be ready to share their level of savings to back up the claim that they're smarter than me when it comes to money. Everyone is allowed to dream.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,615 ✭✭✭worded

Its a tax on hope

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

I have only done it once in the last few months. My dreams of been rich have died.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

I used to when the irish lotto got reasonably high but since they added more numbers and jacked the price I now refuse to play it.

Funny thing with these price hikes, they're is a set calculation of X numbers stopping playing but there is always enough people that continue to do so that the increases profits are guaranteed. So really, protesting against a price hike actually does nothing at all as you can't break herd mentality.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Deminiman

Used to do it every week, But since it went up I only do it now and again. Usually only when the jackpot has rolled over to a massive amount and catches my eye. They surely have lost customers though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 109 ✭✭another36

Our syndicate in work only do the euro millions since the price hike. It was that or look for more money from people every week.

They must have lost customers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭Trebor176

I wouldn't go out of my way to do it every few days. If it rolled over a few times, as it has currently been, I'd do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭hairyslug

Only on a whim do I do it, bought one of the millionaire new year tickets today, I've got a feeling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

no...its a gimmick for the masses

Advertisement