Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are you happy?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Howjoe1

IN truth, No.

Made redundant a few years ago during the start if the recession. Now 50 and have a new job, working long hours on the minimum wage with no pay for all the OT worked. My 18 year daughter earns more than me.

Finding it hard to get another job, because no one wants to take a chance with a senior hire.

Spend my time wishing away my life, and a pension draw down at 60. Or, thinking if I got struck down with cancer and died, my family would be happier, and free from mortgage debt.

Marriage, a loveless relationship. So, death holds no fear for me, unfortunately.

• Site Banned Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭XR3i

i'm over the ****ing moon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

Last day I was genuinely happy and content was 3rd January 2014.

I am confident that the next day I'll be genuinely happy and content will come about sometime in 2016. And that I'll have lots and lots of happy days after that. And I look forward to it.

There is always hope. :) Things can always get better.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭yabbav

Howjoe1 wrote: »
    IN truth, No.

Made redundant a few years ago during the start if the recession. Now 50 and have a new job, working long hours on the minimum wage with no pay for all the OT worked. My 18 year daughter earns more than me.

Finding it hard to get another job, because no one wants to take a chance with a senior hire.

Spend my time wishing away my life, and a pension draw down at 60. Or, thinking if I got struck down with cancer and died, my family would be happier, and free from mortgage debt.

Marriage, a loveless relationship. So, death holds no fear for me, unfortunately.

jeysus. heavy. whats yer job before the crash?

yabbav wrote: »
    jeysus. heavy. whats yer job before the crash?

Don't wish to go into details. But have gone from a salary of €80k to €18k. Working harder now than then.

Still have the commitments from the boom time.

No light at the end of the tunnel. Just being honest in answer to the original OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Vowel Movement

Of course I'm not happy! Look at me, I'm a big fat slob. I've got bigger titties than you do. I've got more chins than a Chinese phonebook. I've not seen my willie in two years, which is long enough to declare it legally dead.

I can't stop eating. I eat because I'm unhappy, and I'm unhappy because I eat. It's a vicious cycle. Now, if you'll excuse me, there's someone I'd like to get in touch with and forgive... myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭stephenl15

Not happy, haven't been in a long time. Saying that I'm certainly not depressed :)

Don't wish to go into details. But have gone from a salary of €80k to €18k. Working harder now than then.

Still have the commitments from the boom time.

No light at the end of the tunnel. Just being honest in answer to the original OP.

I had a big drop in salary too. I was on over 80K but after a few years overseas I am happy enough at the current rates. Just interested in what line of work it was. was it a professional field or one of the building trades as the latter was pure fantasy anyway pre 2008

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Are you happy? Yes - keep going.

Are you happy? No - change something in your life then ask the question again and repeat until answer is Yes.

• Advertisement

Are you happy? No - change something in your life then ask the question again and repeat until answer is Yes.

Bobby in your 34\5 years what changes have you made

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭French_Girl

Last day I was genuinely happy and content was 3rd January 2014.

I am confident that the next day I'll be genuinely happy and content will come about sometime in 2016. And that I'll have lots and lots of happy days after that. And I look forward to it.

There is always hope. Things can always get better.

Here's to the happy 2016!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Bobby in your 34\5 years what changes have you made

He started eating again..... :pac:

I had a big drop in salary too. I was on over 80K but after a few years overseas I am happy enough at the current rates. Just interested in what line of work it was. was it a professional field or one of the building trades as the latter was pure fantasy anyway pre 2008

Professional field.

Surely it is picking up again. You'd get back into it easy now if you were handy at it,

Surely it is picking up again. You'd get back into it easy now if you were handy at it,

they all want graduates

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

I wanna be doooor - Ian Brown on his wish to become an inanimate object.

why, surely experience is key and you are already employed for 18k--bargain. Joe duffy job it seems

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,161 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

IN truth, No.

Hope things get better for you Joe!

I have to say i cannot believe your family could not be happier if that happened to you. You're keeping a roof above your heads and hopefully you have your health.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,268 ✭✭✭IsMiseMyself

I like my job and I like the people in my life but there is a current sense of loneliness that seems hard to shake! I want 2016 to be the year where I push myself out there in the whole meeting people thing--but being an introvert adds a certain weariness!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭Medusa22

Oh I don't know, I don't think there is any such thing as being permanently happy, I'd settle for good mental health.

My life has improved immensely from where it was ten years ago, more than I'd ever expected and I've achieved a lot more than I ever thought I would too.

This year however has just been stagnant, I haven't achieved anything and in fact I've slipped back into old habits and behaviours that I thought were long behind me.

I suppose right now I'm not very happy. I have a lot to be thankful for and I appreciate what I do have in my life, but somehow most days seem to be a struggle lately.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Fluffy Cat 88

I'm grand, thanks

And yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

Medusa22 wrote:
    This year however has just been stagnant, I haven't achieved anything and in fact I've slipped back into old habits and behaviours that I thought were long behind me.

I find that if you're still in the same place you were a year ago, doing the same things, with no development, achievements or changes, it feels like a failure. But not if you learn from it and try to make the coming year a better one.

I've made a few advancements in the past year, technically I am in a better place from this time a year ago, but still room for improvement.

I hope you get what you're looking for :-)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 61 ✭✭Freak Midget

I'm happy right now but that's mainly because I'm pissed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Yeah,
    2015 was pretty good to me.
    I made progress in a lot of personal stuff that was going on. Each week felt like I was stuck in a rut with nothing changing but when I see where I am now and where I was 52 weeks ago, I'm really proud of myself.

I'm happy and secure and feel like I have a family again, something I never anticipated feeling.

I'm secure in my relationship and though it takes constant work and effort not to murder him, I'm grateful for him and I feel like I love him a little bit more all the time. I feel like we've both moved on so much from hiccups and the past, and it's made us much stronger.

I saved a lot in 2015, and am secure with my running away fund, feeling like a proper adult, not living from wage to wage. Not worrying about bills.

I've cut out a few people who were "friends" who just made me second guess and feel bad about myself. I've become more confident and self assured. I think I'm in a good place in regards to being surrounded by positive people.

Right this second there's not one thing making me sad or worrying me. Life is good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭Fox_In_Socks

Hmmmm, not at the minute. Maybe it will change, who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭TrueIt

No not happy, but looking towards the future there are plenty of reasons to stay focused and optimistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

Have had a bit of a bad year. Wish I could turn back the clock on a good few things but what can you do? I sort of wish I had faith in some religion or other and then I could blame it on my own god/Buddha etc. then at least I could blame someone else instead of myself. As it is its my own lot. Such is life I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 white devil

happy as a pig in muck!

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Sapphire3

Not that happy to be honest, hopefully things will look up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 422 ✭✭LeeLooLee

It's always a battle to feel happy. Everyone else seems to be happy most of the time, which makes it even worse. I'd love nothing more than to jump out of bed every day looking forward to the day ahead, which I haven't done since I was a young child. Doesn't help that I suffer from insomnia, so I either have sleepless nights or finally drop off at about 7am, so I'm tired and moody all day.

• Advertisement

Pretty happy, but I do worry about things. Lord do I worry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Happy enough I suppose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Happy that I'm doing a course and career choice I enjoy have a diploma and hopefully degree by July.

Much to look forward to. I'm best man 2 times next year, 1 for Gay wedding which be interesting.

Ya never know how things change but right now I feel good. I did have dark period, would not wish it on anybody.

Also lost 3 Stone since August, another 2 and I'm be laughing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

I'm pretty happy at the moment, far happier than I was a year ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

Great wife and wonderful kid, some good friends.

A modest but comfortable home.

A well paid job with very good work life balance that I actually really enjoy.

I'm in clover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

I am fitter than ever and work hard to keep it that way. Life is good, if that means having a good job and home and very little worries on the financial front but have been feeling very empty the last few months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,470 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Really happy in general :)

Have plenty of issues/trials ahead of me but I think overcoming them is one of the key tenents of being happy, I like to keep challenging myself and small victories help.

Getting married in 2016 too which is something I'm excited about! Finally gonna make an honest woman out of her :D

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭BUBBLES1978

i guess i'm happy with most things in my life, nice home good job wonderful son, but could be happier with more personnel things which i'm aiming to work on in the new year. i have noticed i get bogged down with work and being a mother to teenager so haven't had much time for me so i'm going to change that..its time!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Asmooh

It's okay, but I could always be happier :P

No kids, not married so I enjoy my happiness while I still can, I'm not so happy compare to 2 years ago but it's getting there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭etoughguy

To anyone who isn't: I've attempted suicide twice after suffering from depression for years. I turned it all around myself by reading lots of books on depression.

I have had my heart ripped out and handed to me on a plate by a woman from (well I'm hardly going to name and shame now am I!), I've lost my job and been broke and f****ed up tons in my life.

But I am married with kids, have sorted out my finances big time (again with the help of books) and am very happy

I am living proof that the saying "this too will pass" is real and haven't had a depressive episode in years.

Happiness is inside you and cant be found in others and unhappiness is transient and you can change that

Happiness is a funny old state of mind.

Right this minute I am not happy. Instead I am sad. However underneath this is something good. A kind of steadiness. So no matter what happens, no matter how many times I don't feel happy, well it doesn't really matter because I've got this place inside that's strong and unrelenting.

This is the fifth new year in a row that I will be starting from a rather precarious and hurt place but it's ok because of that inner core. The bit that says "keep going", "you will be just fine" :)

• Site Banned Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭XR3i

comfortably numb,

cautiously hopeful for 2016

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Not particularly happy, but not particularly sad either. My life has been on hold for years and I really hope that 2016 is the year I break out of this circle.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Winter Flower

No I would not describe myself as happy, and the last truly happy moment was ages ago..

Most of my life I would be partially happy at best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,715 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

Not happy that I lost my job. Happy to be alive. Not happy that I haven't worked in nearly a year. Happy that there are jobs out there. Not happy that it is winter. Happy that it will be summer in a few months. Not happy that I spent a lonely Christmas without my old work colleagues. Happy that I have many friends and family who are still in my life. At the end of the day, I can't say I am happy or unhappy all the time. Life's not like that I suppose. When all is said and done, I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy. I am blessed that my personality tends to consider the glass half full rather than half empty. Best wishes to everyone for the new year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

At the happiest I've been.I'm more stressed in work and not as fit as I'd like to be but for some reason I'm just really chilled the moment. Weird how that just happens sometime.also you could be in the middle of a good period and be miserable.funny how moods work.

Advertisement