Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

where to study psychology? someone please help !!

Options
  • 27-12-2015 1:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Ok I just had a mental breakdown. Im in 6th year and all I want to do in college is to study psychology. UCD, Trinity seems impossible for me because I'm not gonna get 500+ points. Im hoping to get 400 points in my lc. I mean I will try my best. Is there any good psychology courses in Dublin or Dublin areas. DBS or NCI have below 400 points so I will get there no problem but I cant get a grant for that and my parents cant afford to pay 5500+ per annum. What about Arts? Can someone please explain how that works? Im thinking about Arts in Maynooth or UCD. someone please help me

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭A97

Just make sure to try your best. Work hard and you could definitely get more points than you think is possible for you. Remember to order the CAO in the order in which you want the courses. Do not order them based on what points you'll think they'll be.

There are courses in the country that have been less than 400 points in the past. Look up "Psychology" in this this search engine and take a look around:

http://www.qualifax.ie/index.php?option=com_wrapper&view=wrapper&Itemid=16

I can't really comment on whether it would be wise to go for an Arts degree with the intention of going into Psychology later. By all means, apply to a couple of them that might be of interest to you and put them near the bottom half of your CAO application as a form of insurance in case you don't get what you want most. Also remember that you have the Change of Mind facility so don't stress too much about filling out the CAO in January. I finalised my list after the Leaving Cert was over.

With regards to grants, it's possible that certain places might waive or reduce your fees if you get high enough points in your Leaving Cert but I couldn't specifically tell you where. A big problem with college fees is that they often neglect those who don't have enough money to pay them but earn too much to get a grant. Maybe you could take a year out, get a job and some life experience while saving up cash in the process if it's impossible to find the money elsewhere.

Sorry I couldn't have been of more help but good luck to you. I hope everything works out in the end.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

If you want to study psychology in one of those those places, and it takes 500 points, then go and get those 500 points and don't do the typical Irish thing and settle for second best. Voice of experience here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Old Perry

Just out of interest, what would be yer opinions on job prospects for a graduate of psychology (arts or not). Not including further formal education what might be available? Psych related or not.

Advertisement