Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 died Help

Options
  • 27-12-2015 2:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭

I just got a PS4 for Christmas and have been playing it for about 4 hours since.I just downloaded a game and was in the middle of playing it and the console just turned off, now when you turn it on the light goes blue and nothing comes up on screen and it turns itself off after about 10 seconds.

I managed to get it into safe mode and tried to reinstall the OS but it wont let me do it even though I know I have named the folders correctly etc. it says install v 3.11 or newer and the version I have downloaded is 3.11

It was bought from Argos but no receipt, any ideas what my next steps are?

cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Right Turn Clyde

Goose81 wrote: »
    I just got a PS4 for Christmas and have been playing it for about 4 hours since.I just downloaded a game and was in the middle of playing it and the console just turned off, now when you turn it on the light goes blue and nothing comes up on screen and it turns itself off after about 10 seconds.

I managed to get it into safe mode and tried to reinstall the OS but it wont let me do it even though I know I have named the folders correctly etc. it says install v 3.11 or newer and the version I have downloaded is 3.11

It was bought from Argos but no receipt, any ideas what my next steps are?

cheers

Your next step should be to stop messing around with it. It's still under warranty.

When did you buy it from Argos and why on earth didn't you hold onto the receipt?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Smashling7

Call Sony - 016917379 mon-sat 10:30-19:00, u will need to have ur console on and they will advise on a reset or if not will advise of how to replace it.

They'll be back open on Tue with the bank holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭Goose81

Your next step should be to stop messing around with it. It's still under warranty.

When did you buy it from Argos and why on earth didn't you hold onto the receipt?

It was a present bought about 3 weeks ago and I wasn't given the receipt. Person said they binned it. According to other sites my chances of getting it fixed are zero without receipt what a joke.

It was a present bought about 3 weeks ago and I wasn't given the receipt. Person said they binned it. According to other sites my chances of getting it fixed are zero without receipt what a joke.

Sony can sometimes when a console was sent to a store, depending on the batch - was it one of the Christmas bundles?

Either way, I'd try call them on Tue - they r v.helpful and will prob have it sorted in no time :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

If they paid with a CC, you have proof of purchase.

• Advertisement

Smashling7 wrote: »
    Sony can sometimes when a console was sent to a store, depending on the batch - was it one of the Christmas bundles?

Either way, I'd try call them on Tue - they r v.helpful and will prob have it sorted in no time :)

Yeah it was the star wars bundle , so fingers crossed. Are they know for having issues like this?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Do not need a receipt as proof of purchase.

Time and date it was bought is enough, would reccomend a cnut in your family doing the talking in Argos. Simply arm them with knowledge and get your replacement ps4.

Find out if that person paid with a debt or credit card. The retailer has a right to request proof of purchase, but it doesn't have to be a receipt. A bank/Visa statement would suffice.

Also (and I'm only speculating here) I find it very hard to believe that you've no come back with Sony just because you don't have a receipt. I assume they know what serial number was sold on what date. At the very least you'd be able to establish that it was recently purchased and thus still under warranty.

I can only imagine how stressed you are now. This is gonna take time but you'll get it sorted.

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Do not need a receipt as proof of purchase.

Time and date it was bought is enough, would reccomend a cnut in your family doing the talking in Argos. Simply arm them with knowledge and get your replacement ps4.
    Why are they a cnut? I can talk to Argos myself I don't need someone else to do it.

Thanks everyone I'll let yous know

Why are they a cnut? I can talk to Argos myself I don't need someone else to do it.

For future reference, just ignore the vulgar idiots. Don't feed them.

• Advertisement

Let's stick to the issue at hand please.

Yeah it was the star wars bundle , so fingers crossed. Are they know for having issues like this?

It sounds like it's a hard drive issue, does it just boot in safe mode?

Some stores send purchase info to Sony, some don't. If Argos don't, they can still check the serial number with the time it was shipped to the store and if it's the Star Wars bundle, that's not out very long, so should send a replacement and take back the faulty one.

I know Sony use a courier service to replace it, so it's just the console that's replaced (make sure there's no game left in it)

It would be handier to go back to Argos and see if they can trace ur receipt, but as its a gift I understand it may not be possible - worst case wait til Tue and Sony will sort it out! :)

Smashling7 wrote: »
    It sounds like it's a hard drive issue, does it just boot in safe mode?

Some stores send purchase info to Sony, some don't. If Argos don't, they can still check the serial number with the time it was shipped to the store and if it's the Star Wars bundle, that's not out very long, so should send a replacement and take back the faulty one.

I know Sony use a courier service to replace it, so it's just the console that's replaced (make sure there's no game left in it)

It would be handier to go back to Argos and see if they can trace ur receipt, but as its a gift I understand it may not be possible - worst case wait til Tue and Sony will sort it out! :)

I agree, Im half tempted to connect the hard drive to a pc and write zeros to it and try and re install via safe mode. Thoughts?

I can get into safe mode and do anything although as it looks like the hard drive is corrupt it wont let me do anything software related. Just fails

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭markc2951

One thing I would say..do not mess with it..

Did you try plugging it out from the mains for 30 seconds..my ps3 used to do that and plugging it front the mains done the trick..it's very weird a new ps4 does this..maybe it 2as a refurbished that argos have been selling

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I agree, Im half tempted to connect the hard drive to a pc and write zeros to it and try and re install via safe mode. Thoughts?

I can get into safe mode and do anything although as it looks like the hard drive is corrupt it wont let me do anything software related. Just fails

Could be a dodgy HD or something? So id probably bring it back regardless you could try putting the 800mb file off the PS site onto a USB key?

http://www.playstation.com/en-us/support/system-updates/ps4/#newinstallation

I'd still bring it back just in case you got a dud, its fairly rare with the console so it seems your just unlucky....

Oh and if the game was a download code, and you already applied it to your PS Account, and you bring that one back successfully - you could be up a copy of the game... ;)

No, I wouldn't go that far tbh - u shouldn't have to!

Do u get the list of options when u restart? Have u tried to select ps4 initialise?

You will lose all data though by doing this, however anything u have downloaded u can just re-download

Yeah I have tried PS4 initialise and downloaded that software etc to usb key.
    Just pretty anoying to have to wait and the hassle etc. Im pretty certain the hd has failed,never seen one fail so quick

Yeah I have tried PS4 initialise and downloaded that software etc to usb key.
    Just pretty anoying to have to wait and the hassle etc. Im pretty certain the hd has failed,never seen one fail so quick

Be careful though, there is 2 firmwares for it, and of course they are named the exact same! The 800mb one is the one you want - the 300mb won't work in your case (safe mode)

lads you wont believe this, i plugged it out and plugged it back in and it reset to factory settings, it must still draw minimal power when its off or something.
    All my saves etc gone but its back from the dead.

• Advertisement

lads you wont believe this, i plugged it out and plugged it back in and it reset to factory settings, it must still draw minimal power when its off or something.

I personally would bring it back, if that happens you again in a week you would boot it across the room... :)

The two things that you should never do with newly purchased goods are (1) throw away the receipt and (2) mess around trying to fix it. The receipt thing isn't your fault, but if you mess around with the unit and compromise your warranty then you deserve everything you get. Go to bed and get some sleep before you do something that you'll regret.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭markc2951

Goose81 wrote:
    lads you wont believe this, i plugged it out and plugged it back in and it reset to factory settings, it must still draw minimal power when its off or something. All my saves etc gone but its back from the dead.

Told you lol

The two things that you should never do with newly purchased goods are (1) throw away the receipt and (2) mess around trying to fix it. The receipt thing isn't your fault, but if you mess around with the unit and compromise your warranty then you deserve everything you get. Go to bed and get some sleep before you do something that you'll regret.

If I had erased the hd and re installed the warranty wouldn't be invalid. Nothing I have or have attempted to do would have invalidated it.

Its booted up with my old settings and login still in place, do you guys think i should reset to factory defaults just to make sure?
    WIll this erase my game saves or are they stored online with my gamer account.

Take it as a warning. I'd still try to get the proof of purchase from the gift-giver and keep it on record. It will speed things up should the worst happen.

Brilliant!! 😂ðŸ‘ðŸ»ðŸŽ„

If I had erased the hd and re installed the warranty wouldn't be invalid. Nothing I have or have attempted to do would have invalidated it.

Well you know best, champ. I'm just glad it's not my unit.

Well you know best, champ. I'm just glad it's not my unit.

They let you replace the hard drive yourself without it affecting the warranty so if I had erased it it would have made no diff.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

hhahahaha

you will see why its best to bring a cnut along.

Do not allow argos to make it a Sony/you issue.

I guess you missed that part.............

• Advertisement

dreamers75 wrote: »
    hhahahaha

you will see why its best to bring a cnut along.

Do not allow argos to make it a Sony/you issue.

I guess you missed that part.............

Unlike you obviously I can fight my own battles. Just because you need to bring your mum with you doesn't mean everyone does.

Advertisement