Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Light Switch for Timer?

Options
  • 27-12-2015 12:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭

Hi all

I have some outside lights (up driveway etc). They are on a standard switch inside to switch on/off

would it be very difficult to replace this switch with a timer? Just a basic analogue heating clock style one?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

How about this (digital not analog)

http://lightswitchtimer.co.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭1922

interesting solution lads, thanks

however, I can't fit that because of where my switch is situated. Was also looking for something wired as opposed to batteries?

A lot of wired ones will require either a neutral (which is rarely already present at a switch) or else a certain load.

How many lights are you switching? What wattage?

A lot of wired ones will require either a neutral (which is rarely already present at a switch) or else a certain load.

How many lights are you switching? What wattage?

it is wired to 5 LEDS, all of which are outside. The wattage I do not know

looking inside the switch, blue and brown wires run into it..one of each

• Advertisement

1922 wrote: »

With just two wires going to the switch I don't think you have a neutral.

That means you can't use the heating controller you mentioned in the original post.

The direct switch replacements I've seen online have a minimum wattage of about 40W. Meaning that your LEDs won't switch properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

You could in theory mount a din rail timer at the fuse board and leave the existing light switch in the on position. You would need to reroute the phase going to the switch through the timer though

Luckysasha wrote: »
    You could in theory mount a din rail timer at the fuse board and leave the existing light switch in the on position. You would need to reroute the phase going to the switch through the timer though

Only if he is a registered electrical contractor. Also the "phase" going to the switch is likely to be feeding other lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,471 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

if wires are in a conduit and its a bungalow, then u may be able to fish a proper neutral up the conduit to a proper neutral in the attic
    keep safe;)

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

if wires are in a conduit and its a bungalow, then u may be able to fish a proper neutral up the conduit to a proper neutral in the attic
    keep safe;)

That's not a DIY job, but if it is a bungalow it should be an easy job for a contractor.

• Advertisement

That's not a DIY job, but if it is a bungalow it should be an easy job for a contractor.

defo not a DIY job, as most of what you are saying is going straight over my head!

I'll give the lad that fitted them a shout in the next year. The switch is right next to the house's main circuit breaker board

And it's not a bungalow!!

defo not a DIY job, as most of what you are saying is going straight over my head!

I'll give the lad that fitted them a shout in the next year. The switch is right next to the house's main circuit breaker board

And it's not a bungalow!!

If the switch is that close to the board it should be easy enough for him to do it.

If the switch is that close to the board it should be easy enough for him to do it.

I kinda thought as much myself. many thanks for all the advice!

Advertisement