Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Christmas celebrations banned in Somalia, Tajikistan and Brunei

• 27-12-2015 12:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭

I'm openly not a fan of Christmas, and would be happy to escape it altogether, yet I don't think I'd quite like to be in Somalia, Tajikistan or Brunei where Christmas is banned, with the potential of being jailed for celebrating Christmas.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/dec/23/christmas-banned-somalia-tajikistan-brunei

The governments of three countries – Somalia, Tajikistan and Brunei – have banned Christmas celebrations this year, with punishments ranging up to a five-year jail term.

Somalia issued a ban on Christmas and New Year’s celebrations in the Muslim country on Wednesday, saying the festivities “have nothing to do with Islam”.

“We warn against celebration of Christmas, which is only for Christians,” Sheikh Mohamed Kheyrow, director of Somalia’s ministry of religion, said on state radio. “This is a matter of faith. The Christmas holiday and its drum beatings have nothing to do with Islam.” He said the ministry has sent letters to the police, national security intelligence and officials in the capital Mogadishu instructing them to “prevent Christmas celebrations”.

The majority Muslim but nominally secular central Asian republic of Tajikistan has also issued its toughest-ever ban on seasonal celebrations, banning Christmas trees and gift-giving in schools.

The country has been cracking down on Christmas and New Year’s in recent years, and banned Father Frost – Russia’s equivalent of Santa Claus – from television screens in 2013. Halloween celebrations in the capital, Dushanbe, have also been targeted by police, with revellers dressed as zombies and vampires reportedly being detained in 2013 and 2014.

The oil-rich sultanate of Brunei, has also banned Christmas celebrations, under a shift towards hardline Islamic law. Sultan Hassanal Bolkiah, one of the world’s richest men, announced last year he would push ahead with the introduction of sharia law, eventually including tough penalties such as death by stoning or severed limbs.

Religious leaders in the sultanate warned this month that a ban on Christmas would be strictly enforced, for fear that Muslims could be led astray. “Using religious symbols like crosses, lighting candles, putting up Christmas trees, singing religious songs, sending Christmas greetings … are against Islamic faith,” imams said in sermons published in the local press.

Punishment for violating the ban is a five-year jail sentence, and the government warned last year that Muslims would be committing an offence if they so much as wore “hats or clothes that resemble Santa Claus”

Here's some of the reactions from people there.

“This will be the saddest Christmas ever for me,” a Malaysian expatriate resident told AFP, requesting not to be named for fear of reprisals from authorities. “The best part of Christmas Day is waking up and having that feeling that it is Christmas, but there’s just none of that here and you just feel deprived.

“All this is just because of what the sultan wants. In 2013, I saw many Muslims together with Christians having a good time at their house parties. Everything was normal and good,” he said.
    Some people dared to post pictures on social media depicting Christmas cheer using the hashtag #MyTreedom, part of a global campaign to highlight oppression against Christians. At least one church in the capital sported decorations that were visible from the street, a rare glimpse of holiday cheer in the otherwise decoration-free city.

“The ban is ridiculous. It projects this image that Islam does not respect the rights of other religions to celebrate their faith,” said a Muslim mother in the capital, also too scared to provide her name. “Islam teaches us to respect one another and I believe it starts with respecting other religions even if what is being banned are ornamental displays.”

Some more in support:

Others were more tempered, and urged the prohibition to be respected. “It is an Islamic country and so with respect to the law, churches need to keep decorations indoors,” said a Christian Bruneian, unfazed by the strict rules. “The meaning of Christmas for us isn’t all about Christmas decorations.”

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

When muslims are in minority - obsessed with minority and religious rights.
    When muslims are in majority - no minority or religious rights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,401 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

biko wrote: »

This post should get the usual thankers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Europe in 100 years time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

I have a feeling this isn't even close to the worst thing happening in any of those places.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,401 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

I have a feeling this isn't even close to the worst thing happening in any of those places.

Indeed. I wouldn't be advertising my Christianity by sticking up a Xmas tree in Mogadishu fir example

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Backward coonts

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭ASoberThought

Ah, tolerant Islam.

This.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Yep. Thankfully I won't live to see it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭Hemerodrome

Collie D wrote: »
    Indeed. I wouldn't be advertising my Christianity by sticking up a Xmas tree in Mogadishu fir example

Xmas tree....fir example....loving your work man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭kettlehead

Saipanne wrote: »
    Yep. Thankfully I won't live to see it.

Your grandkids might. “A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in.” We are planting a load of time bombs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

kettlehead wrote: »
    Your grandkids might. “A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in.” We are planting a load of time bombs.

I don't want kids and I believe resistance is futile. This is the world the Guardianistas want. They will get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

There's not much hope of that happening. Not that I think that Muslim immigration has been all that successful but it would take a demographic transition so that Islam was the majority and all Muslims were radicalised anti-Christians.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

The mole people will take over first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

....nicely ignoring the muslim countries where its not a problem eg
    http://www.al-monitor.com/pulse/originals/2014/12/iran-christians-armenians-christmas-rouhani.html#

http://www.jordantimes.com/news/local/jordanians-celebrate-religious-harmony-christmas-follows-prophet%E2%80%99s-birthday

Don't let that stop you though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Ah, tolerant Islam.

Religion of peace ya know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭droidman123

We ban nativity scenes and cribs here at Christmas so as not to offend "other" religions.this carry on in Somalia and Brunei makes us look even more foolish than ever

We ban nativity scenes and cribs here at Christmas so as not to offend "other" religions.this carry on in Somalia and Brunei makes us look even more foolish than ever

We don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Nodin wrote: »
    We don't.

Not sure what part of the world he could be in. But certainly not in Ireland.

Jordan is not tolerant below the surface. It's just another example of how disgusting society is when it's a Muslim majority.

I would link but I'm newly registered and can't. It would not be a comfortable experience to be Christian in that country and shoud a Muslim wish to convert, they could expect a swift death soon after.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Balls. I often wonder do you folk actually really believe this balderdash, or are yous just spewing out scaremongering hate inspiring bollocks in the hope that some gullible eejits will fall for it?

Not sure what part of the world he could be in. But certainly not in Ireland.

Could be Ireland in Dimension 235 (A) where they fight off attempts to impose muslamic law on a daily basis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Sharia Law is great isnt it.

Someone better tell islamaphobic Fox News.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Could be Ireland in Dimension 235 (A) where they fight off attempts to impose muslamic law on a daily basis.

Wrong. That's dimension 235 (B)

235 (A) is where hamburgers eat people.

Balls. I often wonder do you folk actually really believe this balderdash, or are yous just spewing out scaremongering hate inspiring bollocks in the hope that some gullible eejits will fall for it?

Millions of Muslims migrate to Europe each year. Their birth rate is much higher than the natives whose birth rate is below replacement levels. It is inevitable that Muslims will eventually become majorities in large swathes of Europe. It's only a matter of time.

Millions of Muslims migrate to Europe each year. Their birth rate is much higher than the natives whose birth rate is below replacement levels. It is inevitable that Muslims will eventually become majorities in large swathes of Europe. It's only a matter of time.

Yep. Any day now.

Ooooh that's me convinced me now, I'm quaking in my boots here:pac:

I'll ask you the same question, do you seriously believe that load of crap you've just posted there?

You're right.

Maybe 300 years. Muslim demographics aren't that strong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

One brand of God mania bans a different brand of God mania. A silly hope I have that one day we might look at each other as fellow human beings and that's all. Time for some John Lennon.

• Advertisement

I'll ask you the same question, do you seriously believe that load of crap you've just posted there?

Do I believe that millions of Muslims migrate to Europe each year? Yes.

Do I believe that they have a higher birth rate than the natives? Yes.

Do I believe that native Europeans have a below replacement birth rate? Yes.

All of this is entirely factual. Which part of it is crap, exactly? If millions of people move in and have a high birth rate then their numbers will continuously rise exponentially. If another group do not have an above replacement birth rate then their numbers will dwindle.

This is basic stuff.

You're right.

Maybe 300 years. Muslim demographics aren't that strong.
    There's more chance of a zombie apocalypse tbh. Mind you, there's plenty of eejits out there that believe in that bollocks too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

better start having more babies then, esp the academically inclined n stuff

http://i.imgur.com/9YrRycD.jpg <<<<<<<

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

“Whoever changes his religion, execute him.” - Mohammed (prophet)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

mikeym wrote: »
    Sharia Law is great isnt it.

Someone better tell islamaphobic Fox News.

They have enough war on Christmas on their plate. Who cares about countries where Christians are actually persecuted when they have Starbucks cups without snowflakes right on their doorstep.

Do I believe that millions of Muslims migrate to Europe each year? Yes.

Do I believe that they have a higher birth rate than the natives? Yes.

Do I believe that native Europeans have a below replacement birth rate? Yes.

All of this is entirely factual. Which part of it is crap, exactly?

Well, as you've delivered a simplistic version of reality that doesn't include all of the facts, all of it is in fact crap.
    http://www.sfgate.com/opinion/openforum/article/Debunking-the-myth-of-a-Eurabia-2460503.php

• Advertisement

That's not an argument. Your ability to quake or not in your boots is irrelevant. Any sub population with continual higher demographics than the total population will eventually be the majority population. That excludes further immigration.

There are a few arguments against this (and Hillmans sentiment).

1) possibly within the non-Muslim population there are sub groups that have higher demographics. In this case were this to continue and be inheritable then populations will equalise. Non- Muslim fertility will increase after a while.
    2) the Muslim population might see reduced total fertility. This would involve some kind of secularisation.
    3) European Muslims secularise, intermarry and none of this matters.

The maths however is not really in dispute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Collie D wrote: »

Is that a typo?

Fleawuss wrote: »
    One brand of God mania bans a different brand of God mania. A silly hope I have that one day we might look at each other as fellow human beings and that's all. Time for some John Lennon.

Well they banned Christmas. I suppose you think celebrating that is religious mania and therefore you didn't?

That's not an argument. Your ability to quake or not in your boots is irrelevant. Any sub population with continual higher demographics than the total population will eventually be the majority population. That excludes further immigration.

There are a few arguments against this (and Hillmans sentiment).

1) possibly within the non-Muslim population there are sub groups that have higher demographics. In this case were this to continue and be inheritable then populations will equalise. Non- Muslim fertility will increase after a while.
    2) the Muslim population might see reduced total fertility. This would involve some kind of secularisation.
    3) European Muslims secularise, intermarry and none of this matters.

The maths however is not really in dispute.

Yes it is, as it presumes that the first generations large family is continuously replicated in subsequent generations.

Well, as you've delivered a simplistic version of reality that doesn't include all of the facts, all of it is in fact crap.
    http://www.sfgate.com/opinion/openforum/article/Debunking-the-myth-of-a-Eurabia-2460503.php

A five year old article from San Francisco. That's me told. It's not like Muslim immigration has drastically increased since then and is expected to continue to do so for the foreseeable future or anything.

It doesn't matter much if their birth rate begins to level off by third generation if there are millions coming in every year.

• Advertisement

There's more chance of a zombie apocalypse tbh. Mind you, there's plenty of eejits out there that believe in that bollocks too.

You really don't understand demographics. Please go away and learn some high school mathematics. Then come back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I have celebrated Christmas in some strange places with no outward signs.. In my heart that belong to Jesus. Wherever I am this will be my Christmas.

Yes it is, as it presumes that the first generations large family is continuously replicated in subsequent generations.

It does not matter a bollix if their birth rate eventually drops off by the third generation if there are millions of first generation migrants entering every year.

A five year old article from San Francisco. That's me told. It's not like Muslim immigration has drastically increased since then and is expected to continue to do so for the foreseeable future or anything.

It doesn't matter much if their birth rate begins to level off by third generation if there are millions coming in every year.

'Screw your liberal facts, MUSLIMS'.

We saw a total of roughly a million muslims this year, I think, in the middle of a massive refugee crisis, entering an area with a population over 540 million (afaik).

Also it only goes out to 2030 as if the fertility differentials stop there.

I personally think that there's a fairly good chance of Muslim secularisation provided the ME calms down but the longer the US keeps invading for no reason and as long as the policy of neo-cons is a destabilised Middle East rather than dictatorships the more destabilised both the ME and Europe become.

'Screw your liberal facts, MUSLIMS'.

We saw a total of roughly a million muslims this year, I think, in the middle of a massive refugee crisis, entering an area with a population over 540 million (afaik).

The article is outdated. It is five years old at this stage. A millions plus Muslims entered Germany alone this year, btw.

If millions of people with an extremely high fertility rate enter a region with an aging population and below replacement birth levels, then they will slowly but surely become the majority in swathes of this region.

Do you dispute this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

We've had enough immigration/immigrant/Muslim threads thanks. There are more appropriate forums for this to be discussed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement