Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rega RP1 Turntable

• 27-12-2015 1:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hi, just wondering if anyone could shed some light on a problem I'm having with my turntable. Took it out of the box and followed all instructions for set up and when I go to play an LP the sound is extremely low. Its connected to a 50w amp and 2 Bose speakers so amps doesn't seem to be the problem. Help? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,799 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Moved from Feedback.

tHB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

You need an amp with a 'phono' input to connect your turntable to, the standard line level inputs will not work as they do not have enough gain, nor will the correct equalisation be applied. If your amp does not have a phono input you can use an external phono pre-amp such as this one, there are plenty of alternatives but I would suggest avoiding the very low cost end of the market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,398 ✭✭✭Dartz

rambo9 wrote: »
    Hi, just wondering if anyone could shed some light on a problem I'm having with my turntable. Took it out of the box and followed all instructions for set up and when I go to play an LP the sound is extremely low. Its connected to a 50w amp and 2 Bose speakers so amps doesn't seem to be the problem. Help? Thanks.

The RP-1 needs a pre-amp. It has a low voltage signal output direct from the cartridge. There's no onboard amplification of that signal, it's what's generated directly by the magnets moving inside the coils in the cartridge.

Your Amplifier is expecting a higher level from the input signal than what the cartridge is capable supplying.

Older amplifiers have a 'phono' input from when record players were reasonably common - that boosts the signal to compensate for this. Newer ones don't have this.

The pre-amp also corrects for how the record is mastered - records are mastered in a peculiar way to make them actually work properly without bouncing the needle from the grove -and a pre-amp corrects for this.

I got an in-akustic pre-amp with my RP-1. It's perfectly fine for the most part for getting sound out of it. And can always be upgraded. Right now, it's not the weak point in the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 rambo9

Great thanks for the reply. Another issue I'm having now is that I can only get one of my Bose analog speakers to work now with the pre amp I got. I seem to have it connected up right and have tried it different ways but nothing's worked. Could you shed any light on this issue?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

Try swapping over the left and right cables from the turntable at the pre-amp inputs- if the sound moves over to the other speaker, then you have a fault at the turntable - possibly a broken wire in the tone arm, the cables connecting the cartridge are very thin and subject to movement as the tone arm moves across the record.

If the same speaker continues to work after swopping the turntable inputs, then you have a fault in one channel of the preamp, amp, speaker or speaker cabling. You can narrow down further by swapping channels at the preamp outputs, speakers etc and see what happens. Turn the amp off before making changing connections to avoid very loud 'pops' which can damage loudspeakers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭akaSol

Actually it might be the rega. I've had a friend call me over Christmas and I've discovered the the arm was wired wrong onto the board...

Red turned out to be wired to the white

~Sol

Advertisement