Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can a HSE temporary contract be changed to permanent?

Options
  • 27-12-2015 2:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi all, happy Christmas!
    I am working for the HSE in a temporary contract (1 year). This contract was done to cover for a person who had been on leave for 1 year and was moving elsewhere, so they knew she would not come back. I started the job and for different reasons the place was quite understaffed (which means I have been working under a lot of pressure,caring for more people/wards that the permanent staff on leave would have done!). One of my permanent colleagues got a promotion, so her post will become vacant shortly. I have talked to my manager and she said she cannot give me the job or advertise it internally, it has to go through the current panel of recruitment (this is a newer panel from the one I got this job from,which means my position on it is not as good as in the previous panel). do I have a case here to get the permanent position? My point is that I already passed all interviews and recruitment process and got a temporary position through a panel, I have worked really hard when the place was at its most critical stage and now they will offer the job to anyone before me in the panel without taking into account my experience and performance there?

I am all for transparency of the public sector, but from my experience in the private sector, if you have an existing employee who is good, why give a permanent job to someone you don't know, may not get on with the team or enjoy this area of work,from a national panel which was not specific to this post?I've seen HSE managers giving temp posts to people that is not even in the panel and without being advertised locally and roll them on for years until they become permanent, so I suppose some managers play by the book more than others.

Before you say anything, I am waiting for the reply of the Union, as I wasn't a member until recently 😣

Many thanks

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,572 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

HSE positions are filled from specific panels. If your not next on the current panel then I can't see how or why you'd be given the job.

Is there any reason you didn't interview to get onto the current panel ??

I hate to be blunt but your "all for transparency", except you want to slip in ahead of those on the current panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Rose1314

I'm in the new panel, with another few hundred of people. The problem is that these panels don't value your experience/suitability for that area of work (the interviews are quite general), hence the high turnover in some places as managers have no power over who gets the job. Relax, I was just asking as in my experience in the private sector they would normally interview their staff first (who they know they can rely on) and if there is no interest ok advertise it nationally. I suppose I should have just waited for the perfect permanent job to come in the previous panel (which many people do), I just couldn't afford it.

Rose1314 wrote: »
    I'm in the new panel, with another few hundred of people. The problem is that these panels don't value your experience/suitability for that area of work (the interviews are quite general), hence the high turnover in some places as managers have no power over who gets the job. Relax, I was just asking as in my experience in the private sector they would normally interview their staff first (who they know they can rely on) and if there is no interest ok advertise it nationally. I suppose I should have just waited for the perfect permanent job to come in the previous panel (which many people do), I just couldn't afford it.

It's all about your position on the panel when the job comes to be allocated.

Rose1314 wrote: »

It's all about your position on the panel when the job comes to be allocated. Again being blunt, why is your position on the new panel not as good as before ?, others were rated ahead if you, either through their experience or because that's where someone wanted them ( possibly the manager you spoke to) so They would get the job when it came to be filled.
    Just like the private sector, you need to be qualified, experienced and knowing someone helps too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Rose1314

Hi Brian, the panel is a national panel, they do one interview in dublin every 3-4 years and all the positions arising in the country go to this panel. i heard there were 600 candidates in this panel so I suposse being in the top 100 is not so bad! It's a staff grade panel so your experience doesn't really count, your performance on that single day will dictate if you get a job over the next 3-4 years!The problem is that there aren't many jobs being advertised (last year we got 30 jobs, a lot of them in dublin, not so many in my county), so that's why I am so worried. My manager said she would give me the post as she knows not every new graduate holds up well in this type of job (palliative care) and end up leaving for other areas, but she has no power to decide who's coming next. I'm starting to accept that this is the reality and considering moving to a bigger city until things get better (will they ever?).

• Advertisement
Advertisement