Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 195: Lawler v Condit (Plus Duffy v Poirier - Information in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Duffy via Submission
    In fairness though it will need to be a very good fight that pips that one for FOTN. One sided as it was, it was a very good fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

ASOT wrote: »
    Credit were credits due DP has looked good at 155. Duffy just couldn't get up, I'd say the blood didn't help either! Unlucky.

blood would make it easier as you are harder to pin down.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭qwabercd

Poirier via KO/TKO
    Great fight, gutted for Duffy but Poirier just seemed that bit hungrier.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭Goose81

TimRiggins wrote: »
    Dustin Poirier looks great at 155. Duffy looks like he could be a great fighter at 145 imo. He'd have alot more power down there.

Serious question, im not an expert by any means. He looks gangly and skinny to me with , I think he looks like he has no muscle. Surely if he cut weight it would be worse.

How could you possibly think he could lose weight, he is skin and bones as it is.Everyone on here seems to have an obsession with skinny fighters, he should be alot bigger for his height I would have thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,783 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Poirier via Submission
    Sickened Duffy lost but didn't want Dustin to lose either, just one of those fights, Duffy's gonna have some face on him in the morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

Duffy via Submission
    martyos121 wrote: »
    Tha cut would nearly kill him IMO.

It came out of Tristar that he cuts very little at they saw his future at 145. I think he'll go down now to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

Takedown defence killed him. I thought he had poirier standing although it was close. Really needs to work on his wrestling.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

Duffy via Submission
    blood would make it easier as you are harder to pin down.....

I meant the blood wouldn't help him off his back, is in trying to get a submission.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Disappointed for Joe, there were bits where I thought he could finish Dustin, but well done Dustin he controlled most of that fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Deadst4r

John_D80 wrote: »
    Have to say I expected Duffy to be stronger on his back than this.

Exactly how I felt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭qwabercd

Poirier via KO/TKO
    John_D80 wrote: »
    In fairness though it will need to be a very good fight that pips that one for FOTN. One sided as it was, it was a very good fight.

2nd round was a one sided beat down. But you could argue round 1 for Duffy and he had his moments in the third round - landed some nice shots on the feet and threatened from his back. I had it 30-26 myself, but as far as a 30-26 goes it was quite a tight one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,366 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Duffy via Submission
    The rest of the card has a lot to follow great performance from DP all the same rough we weren't just robbed of our recent Dublin main event we were robbed of 2 more rounds which that fight probably desereved

• Registered Users Posts: 17,338 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

TimRiggins wrote: »
    It came out of Tristar that he cuts very little at they saw his future at 145. I think he'll go down now to be honest

Duffy is even taller than Poirier. I'd be very surprised if he goes down to 145. Even at 155 he looks skinny. But who knows?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Poirier via Decision
    Duffy's BJJ is seriously dangerous off his back,it took a seasoned pro like DP to not get caught up in a triangle or get heel hooked,lost nothing in defeat there,thought both of them rocked each other in the first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Starokan

am watching more ufc lately but still unsure of some of the rules, with about a minute to go in the 3rd the ref stood them up , can I ask what's the reasoning behind that? It seemed no different to me than the ground fighting that had gone before

Great contest though - some athletes

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Duffy via KO/TKO
    Very good fight. Dustin looked a lot stronger and Joe was lacking takedown defense. Very entertaining. That loss will help Joe in the long run. Can't warm to DP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

Duffy via Submission
    Starokan wrote: »
    am watching more ufc lately but still unsure of some of the rules, with about a minute to go in the 3rd the ref stood them up , can I ask what's the reasoning behind that? It seemed no different to me than the ground fighting that had gone before

Inactivity. It was a crazy decision by the ref as DP was doing damage.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Poirier via Decision
    Very good fight. Dustin looked a lot stronger and Joe was lacking takedown defense. Very entertaining. That loss will help Joe in the long run. Can't warm to DP.

He is an absolute gentleman,couldnt of been nicer to every single person when here in Dublin,comes to fight too,whats not to like.

Poirier via Submission
    Was an amazing fight would have loved to see 5 rounds of that action. I am happy for Dustin, I really like him as a fighter.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

Duffy via Submission
    Three absolutely cracking fights for all the people moaning about fight pass, you got your money's worth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,366 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Duffy via Submission
    Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Sickened Duffy lost but didn't want Dustin to lose either, just one of those fights, Duffy's gonna have some face on him in the morning.

Ya thought initially it was unusual pairing myself, DP the clear winner but 5 rounds who knows

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Duffy via Submission

If fighters aren't deemed to be working to gain better positions and are seemingly just hugging the mat if you will, refs will stand them up.

However, that stand up was very premature from the ref who has had two stinkers tonight already.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭evo2000

Condit via Submission
    That_Guy wrote: »
    If fighters aren't deemed to be working to gain better positions and are seemingly just hugging the mat if you will, refs will stand them up.

However, that stand up was very premature from the ref who has had two stinkers tonight already.

Delighted he stood em up all dustin was gonna do was lay there and throw the odd elbow because he was gassed from the round before, good ref imo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Duffy via Submission
    Gamebred wrote: »
    Duffy's BJJ is seriously dangerous off his back,it took a seasoned pro like DP to not get caught up in a triangle or get heel hooked,lost nothing in defeat there,thought both of them rocked each other in the first.

I expected Duffy to do a lot more on the ground to be honest. Poirier knew from the first round that he had the better of Duffy on the mat and it gave him the confidence to keep taking him down again and again. Joe didn't even trouble Dustin one bit until the closing seconds.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭evo2000

Condit via Submission
    Ya thought initially it was unusual pairing myself, DP the clear winner but 5 rounds who knows

yeah id have loved to see that go 5 rounds altho dustin could pretty much take duffy down at will

Shockingly bad td defense from duffy

• Registered Users Posts: 14,539 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Lawler via Submission

Yeh, as others have mentioned it's to prevent a stalemate lasting too long.

It's also in place to prevent someone smothering their way to victory - More than minimal activity is needed i.e looking for a sub/gaining better position.landing worthwhile strikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Dober had to have lost a bet to walk out to Christina Aguilera. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Duffy via Submission
    evo2000 wrote: »
    Delighted he stood em up all dustin was gonna do was lay there and throw the odd elbow because he was gassed from the round before, good ref imo

Didn't look gassed to me. I thought Dustin would have laid on some big ground and pound but he didn't get a chance because of the stand up.

Anyway, it's a bit of a moot point after the fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

Duffy via Decision
    Thought if Duffy could have kept more of the fight standing he would have won. The second round was dominated by Poirier way too much. I think getting blood dripped on your face doesn't help with getting up but what can you do. Enjoyable fight and I hope Duffy can go on and have a lucrative future in UFC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭dilapidating

Bruce's jacket is the real star of the show.
    Spiffy.

Advertisement