Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 195: Lawler v Condit (Plus Duffy v Poirier - Information in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Duffy via Submission
    Right, off to bed. Great night of fights. No doubt I'll be watching this main event tomorrow at some stage. The perfect fight to get newbies into the sport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭GFT

Till next time lads! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

The judges scoresheet:
    card1.0.0.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭kev250

Just had to fight intelligently in the 5th and he had it won but just wanted the ko himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Epic! When the decision was pending, I was shouting Condit. But thinking back, Lawler had such a big round 5, and a really massive shot in round 2, that it might have outweighed Condit's edging of the other rounds. As Condit said, he shouldn't have left it to the judges. 2 beasts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    The judges scoresheet.

No surprise to see that 3rd round the one that decided it. It was so close, while I thought 1, 2, 4 and 5 were reasonably clear one way or the other. Looking forward to watching that 3rd round back again tomorrow.

For interest, here's some media scores:

ab01670c10b58b96905d323777aa01d6.png

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Poirier via Decision
    CXxfnxwUkAINZi4.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 29,752 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Poirier via Submission
    Absolutely sickened for Carlos, wanted him to win so bad and thought he had it 48-47. He threw everything but the kitchen sink. Sure a lot of shots missed but a lot landed.

Actually just saw this holy ****
    Lawler landed 51 per cent of his significant strikes (92/177), while Condit landed 35 per cent (176/495)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Just watched it now. I'm wrecked after that!

Does a split decision ever go against the current holder? A bit gutted for Condit but he just doesn't have the power in his hands to put Lawlor's big meaty head down. These wars have to start to take a significant toll on Robbie.

Anyway, I'd love to see a pic face on of both warriors dead on their feet leaning on the cage at the end. Anybody seen one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭Andre 3000

How anyone can say that was a robbery bemuses me. It was a super close fight that could have gone either way. There was no clear victor. A draw probably would have been the fairest result.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

Genuinely think that's one of the worst decisions I've seen, and I like Rob. How you can't give at least 3 rounds to Conditions is incredible, he was winning at least 75% of the exchanges. Great fight though.

Lawler might have won 2 and 5, but even at that Condit landed more. How they gave Lawler any of 1,3 and 4 is insane IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,787 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Rnd 3 was the round that won it for Robbie. I may look back at it and see. With the telly on mute

I thought Condit consistently outstruck him throughout the fight, what won Lawler rounds were moments thoughout the fight - the knockdown in R2 and the brawling on the inside in R5 (even though it seemed like a dominant round for Lawler, Condit still landed more). Most of the fight took place at distance where Carlos dominated exchanges. I'd even be hesitant to give Lawler R2, because aside from the knock down Condit out struck him. R1, 3 and 4 were clearly Condit's imo though.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭clever user name

Paully D wrote: »
    No surprise to see that 3rd round the one that decided it. It was so close, while I thought 1, 2, 4 and 5 were reasonably clear one way or the other. Looking forward to watching that 3rd round back again tomorrow.

For interest, here's some media scores:

ab01670c10b58b96905d323777aa01d6.png

I hope the two that scored it a draw were drunk, because there's no way any of those rounds were 10-8. Even in the last round Condit landed is fair share.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭JR6

Duffy via Decision
    Just watched it there and think it is a terrible decision. Feel sorry for Condit he really put it all on the line. I can't see how two judges gave round 3 to robbie.

Condit missed a hell of a lot of his strikes in round 3. Besides a few decent kicks he didn't do much at all that round besides throw and not land. Robbie landed the more significant blows and was far more accurate. Activity doesn't always mean you win the round.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭jjdonegal

Duffy via Decision
    Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Rnd 3 was the round that won it for Robbie. I may look back at it and see. With the telly on mute

Literally just done that. Had Carlos winning 3-2. My God what a fight and what heart from both men. That 5th round was just unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

I hate that this decision might be the one that sees Condit retire

While it was a close fight, most people and mma reporters scored it for Condit, including Dana White himself, so for it to maybe see Condit go out like this really ain't right

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Duffy via Submission
    As close a fight as it was, amongst all the dodgy decisions we saw last night, this leave the sourest aftertaste of all. Gutting for Condit.

Robbie gave his 100% everything as usual but I just could justify that result.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

I must be in the minority but I thought Lawler edged it. Condit was aggressive but Lawler was blocking most of his shots, especially his combos. He was wise to his 2nd swing where as I felt Lawler was far more accurate and breached condit's defence more often than not.

Poirier via Decision
    Some of Condits elbow combinations were absolutely beautiful last night so creative striker.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭eurokev

Most of the time, the CHAMPION has to be fairly comprehensively beaten for the title to change hands. Rightly so imo. That's what I think the judges remit would be, and if there is any close calls, the champion gets the advantage

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Duffy via Submission
    eurokev wrote: »
    Most of the time, the CHAMPION has to be fairly comprehensively beaten for the title to change hands. Rightly so imo. That's what I think the judges remit would be, and if there is any close calls, the champion gets the advantage

It certainly wouldn't be their remit. If it happens, its down to individual judges and its in no way an official policy I would hope.

Best fighter on the night should get the nod, full stop.

Poirier via Decision
    Surprised McDonald got a bonus nice sub but Duffy and Poirier and the main event deserved bonus's more I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

Duffy via Submission
    Iv rewatched it now with now sound, it was as clear as day 47-48 I'm favour of Condit. I actually feel terrible for him, the judging in general last night was a disgrace but on the plus side we got one of the best cards iv seen from start to finish every fight in a long long time. Top quality event to start the year, just wish a couple of results went the other way.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,232 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Poirier via Submission
    kev250 wrote: »
    Just had to fight intelligently in the 5th and he had it won but just wanted the ko himself.
    That makes no sense tbh. Rounds are independent. He can't get docked previous rounds for going for it and losing the 5th.

It was a bad decision. But not a robbery, not when 4 out of 5 rounds where clear cut and the judges scored them the same as everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,232 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Poirier via Submission
    Gamebred wrote: »
    Surprised McDonald got a bonus nice sub but Duffy and Poirier and the main event deserved bonus's more I think.
    Can't see how Duffy ever gets a bonus tbh. Not with that main event

Mellor wrote: »
    That makes no sense tbh. Rounds are independent. He can't get docked previous rounds for going for it and losing the 5th.

It was a bad decision. But not a robbery, not when 4 out of 5 rounds where clear cut and the judges scored them the same as everyone else.

10-8 rounds are possible though....so going for broke and losing a round very convincingly can turn a round you won previously into a drawn round.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

Duffy via Submission
    Andre 3000 wrote: »
    10-8 rounds are possible though....so going for broke and losing a round very convincingly can turn a round you won previously into a drawn round.

10-8s are possible but even with last night's judging a 10-8 in the 5th was beyond the realms of possibility.

Advertisement