Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outdoorsy adventure friends

Options
  • 27-12-2015 4:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

Hi all,

Its a little odd to write this, but I'm trying to make new friends and don't really know how to go about it. I'm really into the great outdoors and planning small travel adventures and expeditions, but most people in my life just aren't into that kind of stuff. It would be great to make friends with one or two really like-minded people who are really enthusiastic and want to get involved in this kind of stuff too; I find I'm losing motivation to go out and do the things I want to do because most other people just think they're silly/stupid/pointless ideas. Half of what I'm seeking is a strong sense of challenge and excitement, but always having to do it on my own is difficult for me, as my self-confidence has been eroded somewhat over the last couple of years.

I've joined a hiking group or two in the past and they were enjoyable enough, but generally found that it was always middle-aged men who had the most in common with me (I'm a 32-year old woman). Most of these had well-established families and were recreational hikers, and weren't really into the same kind of travel adventures and escapist expeditions that drive my imagination. I know there's a small but solid enough subculture around these kind of activities and lifestyle in the UK, but have no idea if such a thing exists in Ireland.

Does anyone know of any good online resources/forums or face to face groups that might provide a bit of what I'm looking for? Or any other pointers of how to go about meeting people specifically interested in this type of thing? Its times like these when I wish someone had invented an internet friending platform!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

http://www.meetup.com/

Heard that's good though haven't tried it myself

• Registered Users Posts: 13 AntAunt

Thanks for that MYIURL, Have tried it myself a few times for different groups and its actually quite good. The type of groups on it differ and cover topics/activities that group founders have an interest in.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 AntAunt

Thanks for that MNIURL, Have tried it myself a few times for different groups and its actually quite good. The type of groups on it differ and cover topics/activities that group founders have an interest in.

Hey OP, I see that you're a fairly new poster, welcome :)

You've posted in After Hours which is a forum where you will receive a mix of serious and not so serious replies. There are more suitable niche forums for your query and I can move your thread there if you would prefer to stick with the serious and helpful responses.

If you're happy to get some humour thrown in, you're in the right place!

Just let me know if you'd like it moved :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

There's the Super Adventure Club, op. Quick Google will find it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I joined a Slieve Bloom Sunday rambler group when I moved back to the area and found it much like you did, lovely people but there were all 50s,60s,70s and I'm 27.

Maybe try and introduce family and friends to hiking, I did Galtymor, Mt Brandon and Carountoohill this summer with different people. I had to really twist their arms at first to go but they all said that they enjoyed themselves afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭falan

rickara3 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Its a little odd to write this, but I'm trying to make new friends and don't really know how to go about it. I'm really into the great outdoors and planning small travel adventures and expeditions, but most people in my life just aren't into that kind of stuff. It would be great to make friends with one or two really like-minded people who are really enthusiastic and want to get involved in this kind of stuff too; I find I'm losing motivation to go out and do the things I want to do because most other people just think they're silly/stupid/pointless ideas. Half of what I'm seeking is a strong sense of challenge and excitement, but always having to do it on my own is difficult for me, as my self-confidence has been eroded somewhat over the last couple of years.

I've joined a hiking group or two in the past and they were enjoyable enough, but generally found that it was always middle-aged men who had the most in common with me (I'm a 32-year old woman). Most of these had well-established families and were recreational hikers, and weren't really into the same kind of travel adventures and escapist expeditions that drive my imagination. I know there's a small but solid enough subculture around these kind of activities and lifestyle in the UK, but have no idea if such a thing exists in Ireland.

Does anyone know of any good online resources/forums or face to face groups that might provide a bit of what I'm looking for? Or any other pointers of how to go about meeting people specifically interested in this type of thing? Its times like these when I wish someone had invented an internet friending platform!

Earths edge do a lot of hiking/adventure holidays from Ireland...

http://www.earths-edge.com/trekking-expeditions/

Haven't been on any myself but id love to.

Also check out Mountaineering Ireland website. There's some good videos on there. I have recently done the mountain skills courses 1&2. Ill be doing my assessment soon.
    http://mountaineering.ie/default.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭Bulbous Salutation

If you're happy to get some humour thrown in, you're in the right place!

Could be waiting a while for that as well.

Could be waiting a while for that as well.

Be nice.

I hear you're the outdoorsy type. Maybe you could take the OP up a mountain?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Sir Osis of Liver.

Thought this was going to be about Enid Blytons latest novel.

Think I'll have another Ginger Beer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Kraft.l

rickara3 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Did some wild camping there in the summer trying to get more into the hiking, bushcraft, wild camping, some forums on them in boards, it'd be a good start.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Wildlife Actor

Why not start with a big expedition with an Irish group, say kilimanjaro or the alps? I did one with an Irish expedition leader almost 10 years ago and between the pre-expedition training outings, the trip itself and many subsequent things we did together, I've made friends for life who are always keen for a ramble. Mostly we do one-day or overnight things now, a few times a year, but starting with a big objective and a common is a great way to get to know people well and have a bond with for the future. You're also then a part of a wider network of people with similar interests. Not sure of it works as well with an international group, though if you've the money it would open up all sorts of possibilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

Would you consider volunteering with the scouts? My sons are in it and the leaders are very friendly people who love the outdoors. You would go on some camps with the kids but you would probably meet like minded people there to go on your own trips too. My sister met her future husband when she volunteered with scouts! Ages of kids range from 6 to 18 so it's not all smallies.

If you wanted to run mountains could give you a good few links to mountain/trail running groups in Munster and Leinster. Could you walk very fast? ;)

Know walking groups in the SW but they do tend to be for an older group. I usually went in long hikes to get away from people myself...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 rickara3

Thanks for all the replies (and attempts at humour - Super adventure club was particularly insightful). Lots of ideas and suggestions to think about, I'm feeling the good vibes for an adventurous 2016.

Another poster also suggested Irish Mountaineering Club to me in a PM, they look great for anyone else with an interest in these kind of things, plenty of social events as well as outdoor activities.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Be nice.

I hear you're the outdoorsy type. Maybe you could take the OP up a mountain?

No guarantee he'll being him back down though.

Advertisement