Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pc World laptop.

Options
  • 27-12-2015 5:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭

So gf bought me a laptop from pc world for christmas. Think it was 430. One of those 2 in 1 touch screen laptops so can act like a tablet too.

So set it up today and my God it's slower than I expected. Just reading up about returns on their website and it says once I opened and set it up I can't bring it back at all.

I thought with electronic goods I have 7 working days to return if I'm not 100% satisfied? (I may be wrong).

Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Luke92 wrote: »
    So gf bought me a laptop from pc world for christmas. Think it was 430. One of those 2 in 1 touch screen laptops so can act like a tablet too.

So set it up today and my God it's slower than I expected. Just reading up about returns on their website and it says once I opened and set it up I can't bring it back at all.

I thought with electronic goods I have 7 working days to return if I'm not 100% satisfied? (I may be wrong).

Any help appreciated.

You are 100% wrong unless the shop has a change of mind policy. This is effectively a change of mind situation, if the machine is working as specified but just not as fast as you'd like then you should have done more research before buying. However, if you bought it online you would be able to send it back within a certain timeframe.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

As above, if your GF bought the device online then distance selling regulations allow her 14 days to return it without needing to give any reason (right to cancel regulation). This begins following the date she took delivery of the item, not the date she gave it to you. You're allowed to open and test the device's function and operation but if you do anything else which devalues the device further (eg damage) then the seller can charge her for it. Technically you have no right to cancel as you didn't buy the device so you'll have to get the GF to invoke her right.

If she bought over the counter then there is no entitlement unless it was part of the terms of sale e.g. shop policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,036 ✭✭✭✭L1011

A €430 touchscreen laptop is going to be slow.

Uninstall all the provided crapware software and you'll get whatever minimal performance it has out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

L1011 wrote: »
    A €430 touchscreen laptop is going to be slow.

Uninstall all the provided crapware software and you'll get whatever minimal performance it has out of it.

This but I'd go a couple of steps further.

1 - buy SSD. Prices really dropped before Xmas, I'm sure they've not gone back up too much.

2 - clean install of windows. I'm guessing it's windows 10. An ISO can be downloaded from MS, all you need is your licence key and a USB stick of a decent size.

I did this for the auld fellas lenovo celeron laptop that he's been cursing for the last 6 months. It all took about 40 minutes on a very hungover boxing day.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Luke92

theteal wrote: »
    This but I'd go a couple of steps further.

1 - buy SSD. Prices really dropped before Xmas, I'm sure they've not gone back up too much.

2 - clean install of windows. I'm guessing it's windows 10. An ISO can be downloaded from MS, all you need is your licence key and a USB stick of a decent size.

I did this for the auld fellas lenovo celeron laptop that he's been cursing for the last 6 months. It all took about 40 minutes on a very hungover boxing day.

Gonna bring it in today and chance my arm at getting it changed for something not touch screen.

If all else fails would removing all the crap and installing ssd and even adding another 4GB of RAM make much difference? It takes up to 8GB and only has 4 installed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

If you're getting the SSD, don't waste your time removing all the crapware,just do a clean install of windows. Feel free to ask for help if not confident.

If you have a spare 4gb in an old laptop, stick it in. If spending money, the SSD will make a much bigger difference than the extra memory. Obviously both would be ideal.

My old man's lenovo was actually performing quite well with 4gb after the clean install. I increased the pagefile too as a belt and braces measure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

What model is it? These cheap laptops have crappy cpus.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Luke92

From what I've read and understand I don't think it's very good and the ssd and extra ram will just be bottle necked.

It's an Intel® Celeron™ Processor N3050.

To be honest I might just see if they'll give me some sort of half decent exchange and I can find an older model laptop with an i5 or i3.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Luke92 wrote: »
    From what I've read and understand I don't think it's very good and the ssd and extra ram will just be bottle necked.

It's an Intel® Celeron™ Processor N3050.

To be honest I might just see if they'll give me some sort of half decent exchange and I can find an older model laptop with an i5 or i3.

Is it the HP Pavilion x360 11.6"? 4gb ram, 500gb hdd.. Processor is very basic.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

You could still get it running to a decent level for internet and basic tasks if you SSD it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement