Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help my computer lost its voice

Options
  • 27-12-2015 6:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭

Guys and gals need your help

last night I was watching the X-Files in anticipation of the new series coming soon. I had Gom player installed and have had this player on my computer for a long time. half way through the episode there was a sudden tearing sound and the episode crashed and a malware ad appeared on the player. I googled it and was told Gom is now infected so i removed it and got another player. However on the next episode the same tearing sound and suddenly my computer said i had no audio devices plugged in but i had just been listening to the episode and the speakers were in. I plugged in another set of speakers and then headphones and nothing. the speaker icon as a red circle with a white x in it. I restarted the whole damn computer from factory settings just to try fixing it, last resort and its still not working. help!

windows 7 bought in 2010 June

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

First off update your antivirus and run a full system scan.

Then install Malwarebytes (the free version) and run a full scan with that too.

https://www.malwarebytes.org/

Hopefully they should pick something up.

If they don't work then it's a case of updating / reinstalling the drivers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭tonyheaney

I ran a full system scan before the reinstall and after and nothing was detected.

I had Malwarebytes installed before and it never helped saying I was more or less infected when my virus protection said I was fine.

I clicked on windows update and put on and reapplied the updates I'm assuming drivers were in that too but when i went to audio drivers it said there was nothing to update as I had no audio devices installed but i have my speakers connected and no sound. even iTunes says i have no audio support.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

What antivirus are you using? Malwarebytes looks for different types of stuff your antivirus misses, spyware, unwanted software, browser nasties etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I'm not really a fan of Malwarebytes the past few years, I find it fairly bloated, have a look at this one :

https://toolslib.net/downloads/viewdownload/1-adwcleaner/

It's picked up stuff on me that MWB did not when the PC got infected recently....

Oh and check device manager and see what is coming up under sound to see is it a generic windows driver or the actual driver for your PC

What antivirus are you using? Malwarebytes looks for different types of stuff your antivirus misses, spyware, unwanted software, browser nasties etc.

I Have AVG

• Advertisement

Fieldog wrote: »
    I'm not really a fan of Malwarebytes the past few years, I find it fairly bloated, have a look at this one :

https://toolslib.net/downloads/viewdownload/1-adwcleaner/

It's picked up stuff on me that MWB did not when the PC got infected recently....

can i install both and scan or do i need to uninstall one for the other to work?

tonyheaney wrote: »
    can i install both and scan or do i need to uninstall one for the other to work?

Should be able to install both, still don't think it's Malware though, have a look at Device Manager under sound and see what driver it says...

i reinstalled AVG Zen the free one so will try that one first will get basck to you but please keep the helpful advice coming in i really need it

I Have AVG

It's a terrible antivirus, was great about 8 years ago but is now a bloated POS with poor detection rates

Should be able to install both, still don't think it's Malware though, have a look at Device Manager under sound and see what driver it says...

When i click Device Manager under sound it says no audio devices installed

• Advertisement

It's a terrible antivirus, was great about 8 years ago but is now a bloated POS with poor detection rates

what wold you suggest? ill try anything right now

Intel have a driver update utility, but as Fieldog said check first!

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/detect.html?iid=dc_iduu

Running scan(s) is just to rule out spy/malware on your machine. It's the easiest troubleshooting step to do which is usually why it's recommended first!

Also, AVG: is it the free or pro version?

According to https://www.av-test.org/en/antivirus/home-windows/windows-7/

BitDefender or Avira seems to run better performance-wise.

EDIT: in Device Manager you can "scan for hardware changes" that might pick up your audio device!

what wold you suggest? ill try anything right now

Norton Internet security, get the trial and buy a serial on eBay for about 12 quid when that runs out.

me_irl wrote: »
    Intel have a driver update utility, but as Fieldog said check first!

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/detect.html?iid=dc_iduu

Running scan(s) is just to rule out spy/malware on your machine. It's the easiest troubleshooting step to do which is usually why it's recommended first!

Also, AVG: is it the free or pro version?

According to https://www.av-test.org/en/antivirus/home-windows/windows-7/

BitDefender or Avira seems to run better performance-wise.

EDIT: in Device Manager you can "scan for hardware changes" that might pick up your audio device!

Its the free version that askes you if you want to try the 30 day free thingy

Its the free version that askes you if you want to try the 30 day free thingy

This is a driver issue Tony, not a Malware one -, I'm 90% certain from what you have posted, Norton is an awful software, just stick with MS Security essentials...free and lighter on the system, delete all the other stuff (MWB, AVG)

Whats the make and model number of the machine and we will see can we find the sound driver's?

Use VLC for playing all your music and tv stuff, its open source, and free....

This is a driver issue Tony, not a Malware one -, I'm 90% certain from what you have posted, Norton is an awful software, just stick with MS Security essentials...free and lighter on the system, delete all the other stuff (MWB, AVG)

Whats the make and model number of the machine and we will see can we find the sound driver's?

Sorry to butt in with this, but I wouldn't go with MSE... personally.

http://www.howtogeek.com/173291/goodbye-microsoft-security-essentials-microsoft-now-recommends-you-use-a-third-party-antivirus/

Also, +1 on VLC instead to play every single type of audio and video file.

Norton is an awful software

Wrong, older versions were terrible but it has come a very long way and is now one of the best detection rates and lightest resources, this is speaking as someone who practically made a living removing Norton. I'm talking about Norton antivirus, not the bloated full security package. I was very surprised myself but have tried it and am now recommending it.
    just stick with MS Security essentials...free and lighter on the system

MSE has one of the worst detection rates of all, MS themselves even recommend running some other antivirus

Hi Fieldog here is a screencap, will this do?

szym55.png

this is what the first Malwarebytes has given me but i cant see anything that would stop the audio from working.

29f2pdw.png

http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-Pavilion-p6000-Desktop-PC-series/4079858/model/4108335/document/c01950055/

Have a look here - seems to be describing what is happening you...

I just went by the model number and sound driver's and got brought to that page above...

NOTE:
    If you upgraded your PC to Windows 7 and your computer uses on-board audio, make sure that on-board audio is set to Enabled in the BIOS.

This part on the page is important - did you Upgrade to Windows 7 or was it pre installed?

• Advertisement

http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-Pavilion-p6000-Desktop-PC-series/4079858/model/4108335/document/c01950055/

I just went by the model number and sound driver's and got brought to that page above...

NOTE:
    If you upgraded your PC to Windows 7 and your computer uses on-board audio, make sure that on-board audio is set to Enabled in the BIOS.

This part on the page is important - did you Upgrade to Windows 7 or was it pre installed?

it came preinstalled. any idea what that tearing sound was before the audio device thingy died?

NOTE:

This part on the page is important - did you Upgrade to Windows 7 or was it pre-installed?

I went to that site Fieldog and followed the instructions and restarted the computer and its still not working

the device manager doesn't seem to think anything is wrong but the computer is still telling me to audio output connected

the device manager doesn't seem to think anything is wrong but the computer is still telling me to audio output connected

So is it back showing up in Device Manager now?

Did you ever fresh install windows on that machine?

As if you may have had to format your drive, you could have lost the HP recovery manager software which automatically downloads drivers for you, should be able to install them manually though...

Is recovery manager in your program list?

https://driverscollection.com/_473077172376c813a6533a5657c/Download-HP-Pavilion-p6300uk-Original-Realtek-High-Definition-Audio-Driver-v.6.0.1.5938-for-Windows-7-free

This looks like the driver your looking for, never used the site though so tread carefully, when installed, go back into device manager and then look to browse the computer to where you have installed them drivers...

So is it back showing up in Device Manager now?
    nothing showing up there.
    Did you ever fresh install windows on that machine?
    yes did a complete factory install today, everything's working except the sound.
    As if you may have had to format your drive, you could have lost the HP recovery manager software which automatically downloads drivers for you, should be able to install them manually though...
    I've done loads of them and everytime everything work fine , this time though sound didn't return like i hoped it would.
    Is recovery manager in your program list?
    i check this and i did it twice and nothing happened audio still not available

https://driverscollection.com/_473077172376c813a6533a5657c/Download-HP-Pavilion-p6300uk-Original-Realtek-High-Definition-Audio-Driver-v.6.0.1.5938-for-Windows-7-free

this is whats happening so far. j94qit.png

Dam it, well that didn't work. I just installed it (or tried to) and i got this:

Your system does not meet the operating system requirements Update has been canceled. (9997)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Not sure if this is much different than the Windows troubleshooter, but it is specific to your model so may be helpful. Click "Find Solutions" to install. EDIT : Just noticed theres a driver check and updater on that page as well.

http://support.hp.com/ie-en/product/HP-Pavilion-p6000-Desktop-PC-series/4079858/model/4108335/troubleshooting/

So I have tried everything above and nothing. No sound. Nothing from external speakers nothing from the earphones. nothing. I formatted and I even opened the casing and cleaned around inside. and still nothing. Is there a physical sound card or does it work by no physical component. can I pop out and buy the part or do I after trying all your kind suggestions and buy a new computer?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

download ,install, avast free version,
    Do a scan.
    a virus could wipe the driver file for your audio chip set ,audio device .
    look up hp support model x drivers ,
    download ,
    is there any motherboard drivers missing in device driver,
    as well as the audio driver ?
    HP usually have drivers for sound card,s chipset , in pc model xx, drivers, audio,

• Advertisement

riclad wrote: »
    download ,install, avast free version,
    Do a scan.
    a virus could wipe the driver file for your audio chip set ,audio device .
    look up hp support model x drivers ,
    download ,
    is there any motherboard drivers missing in device driver,
    as well as the audio driver ?
    HP usually have drivers for sound card,s chipset , in pc model xx, drivers, audio,

the only indication there is anything wrong is the message "No Audio Output Device Installed, other then that its looking ok, but there's nothing in the device manager to click on to check for missing drivers

Advertisement