Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help my computer lost its voice

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

tonyheaney wrote: »
    the only indication there is anything wrong is the message "No Audio Output Device Installed, other then that its looking ok, but there's nothing in the device manager to click on to check for missing drivers

Have you tried manually installing drivers that you can download?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

If the system is not showing any audio device, head to the BIOS and check your onboard audio is enabled.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭tonyheaney

I went to the HP website and downloaded the necessary driver and i got this:

Your system does not meet the operating system requirements Update has been canceled. (9997)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

OK, last thing I can think of....

In the device manager you may have something with a yellow exclamation mark on it.

Right click on it and select properties. There should be a drop down to give you Device and Vendor number. It'll look like a long number but have "VEN" and "DEV" in it with four digit numbers after both.

You can enter those in to pcidatabase.com and download the right driver.

Hope that works!

If the system is not showing any audio device, head to the BIOS and check your onboard audio is enabled.

how doi do that?

• Advertisement

Things that have happened or I found irregular in the past two week:

1. when the HP popped up and asked me to download essential update (not Microsoft) it would fail halfway through, everytime,
    2. today gom for the first time had a pop-up window in the main window, when i clicked X to closes it redirected me to some Microsoft window in Internet explorer, closed that one down ASAP,
    3. There was an odd tearing noice, wick and the second time the audio died, and after I downloaded another player as i read GOM had been infected,

HP Pavilion p6300uk Desktop PC
    Model #: WC873AA
    Serial #: 3CR95226C8

Have you followed this? It applies to your model too.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

I had a look at Bios but couldn't see anything wrong,

and I tried everything above more than once and its still not working, and i still don't know why its happened

I'm also told by a message that my computer is incompatable

• Advertisement

tonyheaney wrote: »
    I had a look at Bios but couldn't see anything wrong,

What did you see in the BIOS relating to Audio?

I'm assuming you have on-board audio and not a separate PCI audio card?

Have you clicked "Show hidden devices" on the View menu in Device Manager in order to see devices that are not connected to the computer?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 losts

This seems strange. Even an infected codec player shoudn't cause loss of sound. A quick run of malwarebytes should sort that. Maybe use a player like vlc. Are you streaming ? This sounds like infection from a bad stream. Havent't read all the posts but from what i read, it looks like you might be streaming from an infected site

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭JaCrispy

Have you tried a system restore?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Follow the instructions in the links i posted from hp,
    it should fix the problem,
    eg it installs a hp audio driver for your pc.
    Reboot pc, see it the sound works as before .
    Play a music file, or a youtube video.
    there should be no need to do a system restore

riclad wrote: »

If its a driver issue and it worked before, then a system restore is by far the easiest way to get it working again.

Say you restore to july 20th,
    backup all data ,on the pc, downloaded after july 20th.
    i think it,s easier to install the audio driver.

i did a factory reinstall so that deleted everything, following theinstructiuons all drivers should have been restore as before (done 100 factory restarts) can i still restore?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

Try restarting your computer from earlier point, system restore. Sometimes applications when installed can knock off one of your core functions like audio, video, touch pad or keyboard. Restore it can reengage your sound.

• Advertisement

Tony created this thread yesterday. Im presuming that his audio was working at least a few days earlier. A system restore from a few days ago isnt a major inconvenience especially as it only restores system files (e.g. drivers) not user files

JaCrispy wrote: »
    Have you tried a system restore?

I did a full restore, while i never had an issue with sound before, just slow computer, it always fixed the computer. Sadly after this system restore i still have no sound.

Sadly after this system restore i still have no sound. I followed your advice and still nothing.

If its a driver issue and it worked before, then a system restore is by far the easiest way to get it working again.

I did a full restore, while i never had an issue with sound before, just slow computer, it always fixed the computer. Sadly after this system restore i still have no sound.

KingBrian2 wrote: »
    Try restarting your computer from earlier point, system restore. Sometimes applications when installed can knock off one of your core functions like audio, video, touch pad or keyboard. Restore it can reengage your sound.

sadly its too late to do that as I did a full restore, while i never had an issue with sound before, just slow computer, it always fixed the computer. Sadly after this system restore i still have no sound.

Tony created this thread yesterday. Im presuming that his audio was working at least a few days earlier. A system restore from a few days ago isnt a major inconvenience especially as it only restores system files (e.g. drivers) not user files
    #

Yes and i never had a sound issue before just a slow computer. There was a tearing noise just before the sound died. speaker and earphone

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭darth_maul

OK, it looks like a hardware issue with the onboard sound card, your options rated by cheapest.
    - Buy a USB soundcard
    - Buy and install an internal soundcard.
    - Replace Main board/motherboard.

No amount of restoring and virus scans will help with this.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dynamode-USB-Sound-Card-7/dp/B004FE6UCE
    or buy 1 in maplins store ,
    I did a system go abck to factory settings ,
    on my sony laptop,windows os reinstall .
    i still had to reinstall the wifi driver ,
    See device manager,in control panel.
    is there any yellow icons ,
    device not working ,
    try boot from a linux live cd.
    eg mint 7
    32bit isofile fits on 1 cdr disc. see how to make live cd video here,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8edbi5xctW0

IF IT Works ok in linux from live cd, sound is there,music plays. ok.
    that means you windows audio driver is missing.

You can download windows 10 free at the moment .

i clicked menu recovery os, reinstall windows 7,
    from the hidden recovery os on the hidden drive partition.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Have you tried rolling back to a date you definitely know it was working?

Have you any system restore points from a week or two back?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ie/windows-vista/turn-back-time-on-your-pc-undo-system-changes-with-system-restore

Says windows vista in the article but can apply to 7 also...

• Advertisement

I did a full factory reset, Id assume there would be no restore points left?

Advertisement