Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help my computer lost its voice

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

tonyheaney wrote: »
    I did a full factory reset, Id assume there would be no restore points left?

Not necessarily, go run system restore again in windows and see if it has any dates available.

It's in the control panel iirc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

This thread is like a train crash in slow motion.

Its Malware.
    No Its not, yes it is.
    AVG is crap, no it isnt, yes it is.
    Norton AV is good, no it isn't, yes it is
    Its a driver issue. no it isn't, yes it is.
    Do a System Restore. No don't. Yes do.

:rolleyes:

OP, PM sent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭tonyheaney

the 27/12/2015 16:42:05 is the earliest restore point.
    My original post is 27/12/2015 17:05

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

the 27/12/2015 16:42:05 is the earliest restore point.
    My original post is 27/12/2015 17:05

You have to go further back in time or else create your own restart date and time. Never done that before but I take it you put in the details and the Computer will take it back to that time. Remember the sound has been knocked off so your system has been altered in some way by the application you installed. Restoring the system should also wipe out this application. You could try see if that application is still visible on your screen somewhere so go to it and disable, uninstall it manually. That is if it is still there, since you already restored your computer than it should be gone that only leaves the absence of the sound so that feature has been permanently interfered with by what can only be described as a hostile device.

Message from hp

A full recovery would wipe any restore points. If that didn't fix it, you're looking at a failed soundcard, which is built in to the motherboard. You may want to look into a USB soundcard which you can get for pretty cheap if replacing the PC is out of the question.

Brennon
    -HP Social Media Tech Support

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

My ADVICE Buy a usb card ,cost maybe 4 euro,
    on amazon,
    if you did a full os install of windows ,all the restore points are gone,
    there maybe one ,made by windows ,
    when you reinstalled but thats of no use to you.
    IT,S no harm to try booting up from a linux live cd,
    And see does the sound work.
    maybe post a pic of the device manager screen,here
    from control panel,hardware .

http://www.ehow.com/how_5738583_do-screen-capture-windows-7.html

I agree norton slows down pcs, unless you have 4gig ram at least.
    avast antivirus is free ,
    And does not slow down the pc.

I agree it,s mostly likely a dead onboard sound card.

Cheers to all who contributed in helping me, your advice was very welcome, I have come to the conclusion with your help and hp support that I need to buy a new sound card most likely a USB one. Oh well case closed and a big thank you.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Possibly a dead sound card. I would burn a Ubuntu DVD, boot of it using the live mode without installing and check the sound from there. Could also be a badly corrupted OS, full backup and reinstall would be no harm either

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I'd nearly upgrade it to windows 10, see does it pick up the drivers, see what they are and roll back, very rare to hear hardware issues purely on the sound end of things...

I'd say they are realtek drivers, maybe have a look on their site and see have they any auto detection software...

Fieldog wrote: »
    I'd nearly upgrade it to windows 10, see does it pick up the drivers, see what they are and roll back, very rare to hear hardware issues purely on the sound end of things...

I'd say they are realtek drivers, maybe have a look on their site and see have they any auto detection software...

my computer isn't compatible with win10, but interesting idea

• Advertisement

my computer isn't compatible with win10, but interesting idea

Did you get my private message?

I wouldn't go buying a USB soundcard until the driver for the sound card has been manually installed.

Running a live Linux CD might demonstrate its a software issue and not hardware.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

heres mint 5 linux,
    http://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=25
    690 meg iso file,
    Burn iso to a cdr disk .
    Use burn image command,from burning cd program.
    You might need to press f12 to boot from cd.
    Then play any mp3 file or go to youtube.
    to test audio .

Or just buy a usb sound card .

syklops wrote: »
    Did you get my private message?

I wouldn't go buying a USB soundcard until the driver for the sound card has been manually installed.

Running a live Linux CD might demonstrate its a software issue and not hardware.

Hi sorry just got your pm bit late however lol my bad, I got a USB sound card and i have sound again HP told me last night my onboard soundcard had blown. but the usb works just fine now, I got this one
    http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41ZeLIupMhL._SY300_.jpg

Guys I got a new USB sound card today, this one: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41ZeLIupMhL._SY300_.jpg It works perfectly.

I have a new question to the person and anyone in general who suggested malwarebites, mines going crazy, pop up ever few seconds. whats going on there??? ???

Guys I got a new USB sound card today, this one: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41ZeLIupMhL._SY300_.jpg It works perfectly.

I hope you didn't pay much over a tenner for it. It'll do the job fine, don't get me wrong.
    I have a new question to the person and anyone in general who suggested malwarebites, mines going crazy, pop up ever few seconds. whats going on there??? ???

What does the pop up say?

syklops wrote: »
    I hope you didn't pay much over a tenner for it. It'll do the job fine, don't get me wrong.

I got lucky I paid €8.99 works like a charm 5obn9l.jpg

What does the pop-up say?

I just realised it's because of a certain downloader i have lol ;)

Advertisement