Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help! New Cat Owner needs advice

• 27-12-2015 6:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

Hi, I recently took ownership of a lovely little male kitten. He was one of two that my brother got from a cat rescue lady in the country. He couldn't keep both, so I took one. He's lovely, toilet trained quickly, and I don't have any of the questions that most people here do about food (we're on dry), indoors v out (we're in).

I know I need to get his innoculations, and tagging and I have been very careful not to let him out without them. but he's about 12 weeks old now and I know I need to get him jabbed. I went into my local vets and got quoted €148 for jabs, tagging and flea treatment!! I don't have that kind of money, esp at this time of year.

If I'd gotten the kitten from a regular cat rescue place, they would have covered this right? It's too late (and too far) to go back to them... so I'm wondering if anyone has any advice for me? I"m based in Dublin. I don't mind paying, but I was kind of hoping to get it in under €100.

any advice on where to go greatly apreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Well first of all make sure you sign him up for insurance NOW, that way he has nothing to declare as existing conditions and you'll be covered for a lot more (and it will help to pay for expensive operations in case they are needed); secondly pictures please. Can't help on the shots part though but initial feeling is it seems on the high side. Also keep in mind you'll need to neuter him shortly which is going to cost a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

I think tagging makes up the bulk of that cost.
    You could just get a collar that holds contact details?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Knine

Did you try to shop around? Try Ancu Vets Brian Jones in Coldwinters on Tues & Saturdays. He is a great vet & very reasonable.

Do the Blue Cross do mobile clinics in your area? They do reduced price jabs for people in need of help. They definitely have a clinic in Donneycarney, I think on Fridays.

My cat got her full shots for less than 100 in Blacklion Vets in Greystones. The other vets were looking to close to 200 euro.

My cat's microchip cost 25 euro. I'm so glad she has it, it wasn't ill spent cash. Cats wearing collars is a very hotly debated topic! But you might at some stage decide that a collar is better for your own cat, so put one on him now, while he's little and indoors. My cat is now without collar, decided that is better for her, but if at any stage I do want to collar her again, I know I can because she's so used to it. So I'd advise getting a collar and make him wear it now, even if you don't think he'll wear it later.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Mossy_Da_Dog

Thanks Guys! Now I can add to collar or not to the debate! I had bought him a cute little collar which he was wearing in the house, but he shook that off there the other day, and it's lost!! (Maybe buried in the litter!). So I'll buy another one as I have birds in my garden and the bell works there.

I'll check out blue cross and am about to google that vet now.

Re. the insurance, I know I should read every other post on that, but I looked at it and it's €47 per year with a €250 excess - that means I have to spend almost €300 in a year before I can claim anything!! I don't intend spending that amount of money anyway, so I'm going to pass on the insurance. Am I missing something in my logic here???

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Re. the insurance, I know I should read every other post on that, but I looked at it and it's €47 per year with a €250 excess - that means I have to spend almost €300 in a year before I can claim anything!! I don't intend spending that amount of money anyway, so I'm going to pass on the insurance. Am I missing something in my logic here???
    Yes the 2.000 EUR operation required down the line due to accident or simply bad luck with the gene pool. The insurance is not there to cover your day to day costs (i.e. yearly vaccination) but the bad stuff in case it comes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

As a new-to-cats person myself, welcome to this forum - lots of very knowlegable cat people to ask for advise on here!

If you are short of cash, and your cat is going to be indoors, I would suggest that you go first for vaccinations - more important to your cats health than a chip for now. Many organisations offer FREE microchipping from time to time - keep an eye out for that, or someone on here will tell you how to find out about this. You are going to have him neutered soon-ish too, so again, watch out for organisations that help owners with special prices on neutering. Phone the local Blue Cross, or ask at the local charities for some advise.
    DEFINITELY shop around for prices - just phone the vets receptionists and ask the question - perfectly acceptable. You can also ask if they have a payment plan, that you could pay off each week.

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Meeoow

My cats shots are 50 euro a year. Chipping 25 euro.
    The first quote is ridiculous. Shop around and get a good, reasonably priced vet.
    I would advise against collars. Cats hate them and can get caught and choked while climbing.
    My cat is 10 now and thank god has never been sick. I would advise against insurance. If it's a European short hair and looked after it should be healthy.
    I got my fella neutered and he stays around the street. He knows where his bread is buttered!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭Milly33

dont think you missing much to be honest with the insurance as such tis like having it yourself.. Dont have it for either or our animals

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Mossy_Da_Dog

Thanks - yiz are all great. Am going to wait til next Fri when Blue Cross is at Donnycarney and see what prices they offer, have got a quote from another local vet today as well - cha ching.

Good idea @aonb re. going in stages, I'll get innoculations first, then I think the neutering (poor thing), then the taggging. Over 3 months that won't be too bad.

If anyone knows or hears of the free tagging thing before March/April 2016, I'd really appreciate if you could post it here and let us know.

Cheers everyone!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Meeoow wrote: »
    My cats shots are 50 euro a year. Chipping 25 euro.
    The first quote is ridiculous. Shop around and get a good, reasonably priced vet.

But initial vaccinations consist of two shots - i.e. €50 times two.

OP If your cat is indoors-only and you are not in contact with other cats, I would get him chipped and neutered as your first priority - kittens are little monkeys and can get out the door past you. Expect to pay about €20 for chipping and €60-€80 to get him neutered. There is no need to wait until he is six months old to neuter. Ideal age is 4-5 months although some vets will do it younger and it is still perfectly safe. IMO the younger they are neutered the faster they recover after the op.

That is not to say vaccinations aren't essential - they are - but you are under less time pressure to get them done, in your circumstances. Bear in mind that the first vaccinations are 3-4 weeks apart so you might be able to save up for the second vaccination before its time arrives.

There is no need for flea treatments unless he actually has fleas. But once three months old he should still be wormed every month until six months - and worming tablets are reasonable.

Re: collars - the only ones that are safe are the breakaway ones!

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Shivi111

A small vote here for going for insurance! Our cat managed to get a small scratch on his cornea which ended up costing over 500 euro to save his eye, without the insurance we would have been in trouble! If not the insurance route I know people who stick a fiver a week into the credit union so there is cash there when something goes wrong... Unexpected injuries can work out very expensive!
    Hope you're enjoying the new kitty!

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Dublin21

I don't mean to offend anyone but I don't know why anyone who chooses to get a pet wouldn't get them insured..

I pay my pet insurance by Direct debit. It works out at about 10e more expensive a year but its only around 4.50 a month. Its a very small price to pay to ensure you are able to look after your pet if the unthinkable happens...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

Dublin21 wrote: »
    I don't mean to offend anyone but I don't know why anyone who choses to get a pet wouldn't get them insured..

Some people don't have health insurance for themselves, let alone there pets....

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Dublin21

Some people don't have health insurance for themselves, let alone there pets....

Yes but the difference is if I broke my leg today I wouldn't be turned away from the hospital for not having funds up front...and no one is going to 'put me down' because the operation costs too much...

Most of the time its our choice whether we want to take on a pet or not - I am of the belief that people that do should factor insurance in as a cost before taking on an animal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Dublin21 wrote: »
    Yes but the difference is if I broke my leg today I wouldn't be turned away from the hospital for not having funds up front...and no one is going to 'put me down' because the operation costs too much...

Most of the time its our choice whether we want to take on a pet or not - I am of the belief that people that do should factor insurance in as a cost before taking on an animal

We've got 4 cats - the insurance we were looking at was actually very expensive. We decided to put the money into a savings account each month instead, and have done really well with that. We're covering their regular check-ups as well as any unexpected vet visits out of that account easily.

Advertisement