Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you study for Junior Cert?

Options
  • 27-12-2015 6:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi guys, I would really appreciate any help given, thanks in advance :)

In 1st and 2nd year I never really studied unless there were Christmas or Summer exams coming up. However, I still used to always leave everything until 3-5 days before and yet I still managed to get all A's. Being honest, I am really smart and I do the best in my class every subject (except for English). But at the moment most people in my class are studying for the junior cert and taking it (almost too) seriously, for example learning these essays off WORD FOR WORD. I get that it's important in the sense that it prepares you for the Leaving, but apart from that is it really worth throwing away 10 months of my life for?And it's funny how hypocritical everyone else is being right now cause I'm supposed to be the "nerd" of the year.
    I was beginning to think I got hit on the head over the summer last or something like that, but we had our pre-Irish oral recently and I got 153/160 marks from studying like an hour the night before, beating everyone in the year including those who've been spending months hyperventilating about it. And my Christmas report just came out there and all my teachers were just as happy with me as they always have been. In fact most of them told my mam at the parent teacher meetings that I was certainly going to get an A and that I had nothing to worry about.
    So, pres are in about 5 weeks, and I've done next to nothing. Cramming (like I've done for the house exams) shouldn't work here because, instead of 5 months' work, I've like 3 years of work to learn. Maybe it's just the thought of how close they are that motivates me.
    We've been told to do 3 1/2 hours of homework and study every night up until now, but that's hard for me to work with since I have at least one activity on each day, and a teenagers need their rest. Actually on the subject of rest, I suppose I get 6-7 hours of sleep each night. I know I know, I should be getting more, but between school, eating, homework, etc. that's most of the day gone. And I suppose I spend more time than I think on Facebook, Snapchat, etc.
    So basically I'm just wondering if there's anyone else that is/has been in the same situation as I'm in now, or anyone who would know what to do? I know that I'm capable of doing a really good Junior Cert, but I don't seem to have any energy to do it. I mean I could probably sit it right now and pass almost every exam, but I'm looking to get mostly A's, because I know that I'm capable of doing that.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Listen properly in class.
    Ask questions if you do not understand something.
    Do all your homework as if it was for the exam.

If you do the above, you will need very little of what is seen as 'study'.
    The Junior Cert. is fairly straightforward. The Leaving requires much more organised and structure study. Learning essays and answers off is always silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 ecquestions24

spurious wrote: »
    Listen properly in class.
    Ask questions if you do not understand something.
    Do all your homework as if it was for the exam.

If you do the above, you will need very little of what is seen as 'study'.
    The Junior Cert. is fairly straightforward. The Leaving requires much more organised and structure study. Learning essays and answers off is always silly.

Thanks very much for the reply.
    I've been doing all of those things above consistently since 1st year, especially the homework; I've actually never copied homework off someone or forgotten homework before.
    Do you reckon I'd get away with what I'm doing until pres and Easter? It's just that everyone else is doing so much and rub it in my face it makes me feel like I'm not doing anything.
    Thanks again

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I can guarantee you nobody is studying for 3 1/2 hours. They may be looking at books, or reading something, but they are not memorising anything for that length of time - it is not possible.

You are bright and literate. Attaining all A grades in the JC is not impossible for you. The main thing is not to think the Leaving will come as easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 ecquestions24

spurious wrote: »
    I can guarantee you nobody is studying for 3 1/2 hours. They may be looking at books, or reading something, but they are not memorising anything for that length of time - it is not possible.

You are bright and literate. Attaining all A grades in the JC is not impossible for you. The main thing is not to think the Leaving will come as easily.

Thanks.
    I suppose they couldn't be studying that much, you're right. And don't you worry, I'm aware that LC is a hell of a lot more time-consuming than JC, so I'm just gonna take one step at a time ;)
    Thanks for your time

Advertisement