Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peyton Manning Accused of HGH Use

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Billy86 wrote: »
    You're getting young, impressionable teens who in large part come from very poor backgrounds in a country that despite what it markets itself as, offers very limited opportunity for people in such situations. Then you're waiving the potential for millions of dollars (without fully letting them know they'll never see the majority of it) and encouraging them to take drugs that they don't know the side effects of so that they can get an edge physically, or also mentally - allowing them to slam their brains off the walls of their skulls and accelerate severe brain damage in case the hyperactive cancer cells, etc don't get them.

For me, this 'choice' isn't really a fair one to be presenting an individual.

Mind you with technology as it is, and how fast it is accelerating, I think controlled juicing might not be the worst option. That being, regulated steroids & PEDs that have been thoroughly tested and researched so as to completely eliminate/largely minimise side effects (with loud and clear information and warnings provided for any remaining side effects and such), and a zero tolerance approach to any additionals being taken (lifetime bans all 'round type of things, and criminal proceedings for those providing/creating them - which would be much more effective with p*ssed off pharma companies that create the 'regulated' ones throwing their legal team behind it). I'm sure there are people on here with far more knowledge than me regarding medicine etc who might consider than an awful idea, mind! :pac:

Things is it all goes back down the chain, and you'll end up with High School kids doping in the hope of making it in the NFL, safer all round to have a robust testing and ban procedure and stamp it out from the top down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/14652385/mlb-asks-us-anti-doping-agency-help-investigate-al-jazeera-claims

Quinn reports that Major League Baseball and the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency are collaborating regarding the alleged involvement of baseball players. The NFL, per Quinn, declined.

I guess its not as an important issue as slightly deflated footballs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Hazys wrote: »
    http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/14652385/mlb-asks-us-anti-doping-agency-help-investigate-al-jazeera-claims

Quinn reports that Major League Baseball and the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency are collaborating regarding the alleged involvement of baseball players. The NFL, per Quinn, declined.

You need to let deflategate go at this stage. You always seem to want to bring it up. The Pats were dicked over by Goodell, it goes without saying, but it's tedious to see it always brought up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,899 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

SantryRed wrote: »
    You need to let deflategate go at this stage. You always seem to want to bring it up. The Pats were dicked over by Goodell, it goes without saying, but it's tedious to see it always brought up.
    It's fair game everytime there is something like this to compare it to what Goodell went hell for leather after and what he is prepared to not bother with.

SantryRed wrote: »

Let it go? It will kick off again next week with Brady defending himself in front of the fcuking Supreme court so i wish I could.

You may be tired of it and most non-Pats may be tired of it, but as a Pats fan, i think i have the right to point out every glaring hypocrisy by the NFL and the media.

• Advertisement

I guess the main reason Goodell doesn't want to get involved in a joint investigation with the MLB and the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency, is because he can't control the results.

Goodell makes the Manitowoc County Police Department look like angels.

Let it go? It will kick off again next week with Brady defending himself in front of the fcuking Supreme court so i wish I could.

You may be tired of it and most non-Pats may be tired of it, but as a Pats fan, i think i have the right to point out every glaring hypocrisy by the NFL and the media.

But yet if another non pats fan brings it up they are a hater

But yet if another non pats fan brings it up they are a hater

This post makes zero sense to me.

If non-pats fan brings up brings up deflate gate to highlight the hypocrisy of the NFL and/or the media, I'd call them a hater?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Moist Bread

But you are still going to run that **** into the ground anyway. Nice one. We get the idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

Manning is a cheat.

• Advertisement

But you are still going to run that **** into the ground anyway. Nice one. We get the idea.

Myself and Goodell will

Individual cheating isn't really comparable to organisational cheating.

Repeatedly.

Individual cheating isn't really comparable to organisational cheating.

Repeatedly.
    The reason he brings it up is to show how Goodell goes after something ridiculous but won't go after something far more sinister.

There are a lot of laws being broken, it's not just cheating. You have trafficking of drugs, knowingly receiving an illegal substance, it's a very serious thing but obviously not as serious as trying to screw a team because a few balls were less than the required pressure at halftime in a game, well at least not as serious in the eyes of the NFL Commissioner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,098 ✭✭✭Augme

Goodell's job is to make money for his employers(NFL team owners). The last thing the NFL owners would want would be some 3rd party looking into their doping. It would be a disaster.

If non-pats fan brings up brings up deflate gate to highlight the hypocrisy of the NFL and/or the media, I'd call them a hater?

No but it seems like in every thread in the forum a pats fan brigs up deflate gate some people think The organisation is innocent some think he is guilty (most people agree the entire thing has been overblown ) and eventually another pats fan laments that we are still talking about deflategate before a mod tells us to stay on the subject at hand and not talk about the patriots. Without checking I'm confident that this discussion has been had 2-3 times on this thread already

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭poldebruin

Manning accused of HGH use: Hope the NFL are going to investigate this like they did with Brady and deflategate - no chance golden boy etc.

ESPN reporting that NFL not cooperating with two other organisations own investigative efforts: Of course they aren't, can't control results like deflategate.

HGH use is likely widespread and actually useful in recovering from injury: Drug use is serious no matter what, especially compared to some under inflated balls....

NFL refutes ESPN report: Oh, the NFL refute this report, just like they didn't with ESPN deflategate report.

Tiresome and pathetic posts. Deflategate this and that. Why not just discuss the topic at hand. Or start a thread to discuss the administrative aspects/hypocrisy/conspiracy theories relating to, the NFL.

poldebruin wrote: »
    Manning accused of HGH use: Hope the NFL are going to investigate this like they did with Brady and deflategate - no chance golden boy etc.

ESPN reporting that NFL not cooperating with two other organisations own investigative efforts: Of course they aren't, can't control results like deflategate.

HGH use is likely widespread and actually useful in recovering from injury: Drug use is serious no matter what, especially compared to some under inflated balls....

NFL refutes ESPN report: Oh, the NFL refute this report, just like they didn't with ESPN deflategate report.

Tiresome and pathetic posts. Deflategate this and that. Why not just discuss the topic at hand. Or start a thread to discuss the administrative aspects/hypocrisy/conspiracy theories relating to, the NFL.
    Because we're pissed that no action is being taken over these other things.
    Don't forget we don't have a first round pick in the upcoming draft because Goodell decided the franchise was guilty of something.

And he is going after Brady on an individual level as well. It hasn't finished yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

No but it seems like in every thread in the forum a pats fan brigs up deflate gate ......
    And a non Pats fans has a moan about it....... and then doesn't address the actual topic. Tiresome and pathetic posts alright.

The Manning story is very unlikely to go any where. Drugs were addressed to his wife, so any issues around that will be on her. So unless they can somehow unearth a pic/vid of Manning taking the stuff, I don't know how they can pin anything on him.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

And a non Pats fans has a moan about it....... and then doesn't address the actual topic. Tiresome and pathetic posts alright.

Seriously there is already a thread for deflategate, post in there if you want to constantly bring it up, completely irrelevant to be posting about it here and people are right to point that out otherwise every thread gets turned into deflategate/perceived NFL hypocrisy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭poldebruin

eagle eye wrote: »
    Because we're pissed that no action is being taken over these other things.
    Don't forget we don't have a first round pick in the upcoming draft because Goodell decided the franchise was guilty of something.

And he is going after Brady on an individual level as well. It hasn't finished yet.

Fair enough, but their is a dedicated deflategate thread if you want to dredge that particular thread back to life.

Again, I think everyone on the forum thinks the punishment was over the top. I was likely the most vocal advocate for a need to investigate etc, and even I said it was way too much, both for the organisation and for Brady himself. I really don't think you (deflategaters) need to convince anybody that there was another element in play regarding Deflategate. I'm sure we all get it.

• Advertisement

The Manning story is very unlikely to go any where. Drugs were addressed to his wife, so any issues around that will be on her. So unless they can somehow unearth a pic/vid of Manning taking the stuff, I don't know how they can pin anything on him.
    Charge his wife with whatever charge covers knowingly receiving an illegal drug. Strike a deal with him that there will be no criminal charges pursued if he admits his guilt?

adrian522 wrote: »
    Seriously there is already a thread for deflategate, post in there if you want to constantly bring it up, completely irrelevant to be posting about it here and people are right to point that out otherwise every thread gets turned into deflategate/perceived NFL hypocrisy.
    I didn't bring it up. I address those moaning about it and not addressing the topic, and then I posted on the actual topic of the thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

Pats fans whining again

The NFL are carrying out an investigation into the allegation of Manning using HGH - and rightly so. I await the outcome.

Charge his wife with whatever charge covers knowingly receiving an illegal drug. Strike a deal with him that there will be no criminal charges pursued if he admits his guilt?
    Doubt she would even be hit with a charge, and I hope not. The issue is worth an investigation and then make judgements from that. But while the NFL hides their heads in the sand on the HGH issue, I don't see any punishments on the way anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

Is Human Growth Hormone illegal in Colorado? I doubt it is.

My memory is that Mrs. Manning had a prescription for it. So what exactly would they be charging her with?

Who would be conspiring together to achieve all of this anyway? The NFL/WADA/FBI or who?

D9Male wrote: »

Is Human Growth Hormone illegal in Colorado? I doubt it is.

My memory is that Mrs. Manning had a prescription for it. So what exactly would they be charging her with?

Who would be conspiring together to achieve all of this anyway? The NFL/WADA/FBI or who?

It's not illegal if you have a prescription and by all accounts its not a particularly rare drug to prescribe

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Speaking as a Pats fan, the issue I saw at the time of the other incident was that it was way over blown without any conclusive evidence and that a scapegoat was made.

So now it seems some Pats fans want the same over reaction without any proven evidence to happen again? It shouldnt have happened the last time and it is hypocritical to say that it should happen this time. The NFL cocked up already, if they are to learn from that then they shouldnt be hanging Manning out like some are hoping they do. you cant have it both ways, making a mess of this case wont make the deflate crap disappear.

Both incidents, IMO, are low down on the scale of furore and it is the profile of the accused which is garnering attention. this one is getting the attention that is warranted, which is not much. The deflate one should have had the same attention. the fact it didnt shouldnt come into the equation here otherwise every single incident from now on will always be over blown because they made a mess of one case.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Langdon Alger

It's not illegal if you have a prescription and by all accounts its not a particularly rare drug to prescribe

This is taken from the FDA website http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/cms_ia/importalert_204.html.
    FDA-approved HGH can be legally prescribed for a limited number of conditions including:

* hormonal deficiency that causes short stature in children;

* long-term treatment of growth failure due to lack of exogenous GH secretion;

* long-term treatment of short stature associated with Turner syndrome;

* adult short bowel syndrome;

* adult deficiency due to rare pituitary tumors or their treatment; and

* muscle-wasting disease associated with HIV/AIDS

Are the NFL just going after Peyton ? Or the others ( Clay Matthews, Mike Neal, Julius Peppers & James Harrison) mentioned in the documentary by Al Jazeera also going to be investigated

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

The NFL has no interest in going after anyone from what I can see. Their "test" for HGH only return a positive if HGH was administered in the hour leading up to the test.

To be honest you have to be very suspicious about what is going on in the NFL given the somewhat miraculous returns from injuries we see all the time in the NFL, injuries that should take months to heal are being overcome in a week or 2.

Nobody seems to care. Ever since this story broke none of the mainstream NFL media ran with it or tried to bring it on, instead you have people going the opposite direction, criticizing Al Jezeera for running with the story at all.

This sort of thing from NBC

http://www.today.com/news/al-jazeera-reporter-documentary-not-alleging-peyton-manning-used-hgh-t64281

• Advertisement

The NFL has no interest in going after anyone from what I can see. Their "test" for HGH only return a positive if HGH was administered in the hour leading up to the test.

To be honest you have to be very suspicious about what is going on in the NFL given the somewhat miraculous returns from injuries we see all the time in the NFL, injuries that should take months to heal are being overcome in a week or 2.

Nobody seems to care. Ever since this story broke none of the mainstream NFL media ran with it or tried to bring it on, instead you have people going the opposite direction, criticizing Al Jezeera for running with the story at all.

This sort of thing from NBC

http://www.today.com/news/al-jazeera-reporter-documentary-not-alleging-peyton-manning-used-hgh-t64281

Advertisement