Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Floods - should you be forced to leave your home?

Options
  • 27-12-2015 7:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭

In the UK I have heard that the emergency services are forcing people in flood areas to leave their homes on the bases that if they stay emergency services personnel could be put in danger rescuing them.

In a two story house with only the downstairs flooded I'd want to stay, given I had suitable supplies and equipment.

What would you do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ShadowFox

my3cents wrote: »
    In the UK I have heard that the emergency services are forcing people in flood areas to leave their homes on the bases that if they stay emergency services personnel could be put in danger rescuing them.

In a two story house with only the downstairs flooded I'd want to stay, given I had suitable supplies and equipment.

What would you do?
    Personally I'd stay but I'd probably evacuate my family as you never know if winds are going to get up and damage your roof or in an attached house you don't know what your neighbours have that could catch fire. It really is one of those questions which answer depends on a lot of what its and maybes. If you stay you worry about the storm if you leave you worry about looters. Hopefully the people over in the UK make it through the next week I see there is more bad weather to come

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

This is done to prevent stayers or their grieving relatives from suing the rescue services/Govt/Army/what have you and claiming that nothing was done, etc,etc. Quite normal in the US and Oz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

I'd definitely be a bit thick with anyone that insisted we move doubly so if it was coming from someone who had been shipped in with no local knowledge. I wouldn't not move, a possible Tsunami type event would have me out and up the road in double quick time but it would have to be my decision not something forced on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 tc556guy

I think that you would find such a situation quickly untenable for prolonged habitation, and whatever Board of Health or whatever passes for that over there would more than likely declare your residence uninhabitable. Given that, you would have no option about staying or going

• Registered Users Posts: 69,004 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Its extremely rare that floodwaters are actually just water. Its usually sewage (human or animal) laced. Its not going to be safe to use the upper floor of a building where the downstairs is full of sewage.

Additionally, unless your house is over 60 years old it is unlikely to have an upstairs fireplace, meaning you're going to have some difficulty safely producing heat for habitation/cooking/boiling water. Should you have a downstairs full of sewage there is going to be a severe safety risk using naked flames anyway.

Unless the flood also happens to coincide with the downfall of civilisation I'd go; if it does there won't be anyone you'd want to go with coming for you anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

I'd say the stink alone would drive you out, especially if a septic tank floods and your domestic waste pipes back up..

Stovepipe wrote: »
    I'd say the stink alone would drive you out, especially if a septic tank floods and your domestic waste pipes back up..

One of those self inflating sand bags stuffed down the bend of your toilet stops back flow but it will still seep in through doors or Windows if the flood is that bad

• Registered Users Posts: 34 tc556guy

ShadowFox wrote: »
    One of those self inflating sand bags stuffed down the bend of your toilet stops back flow but it will still seep in through doors or Windows if the flood is that bad

It would still come up your other drains in your sinks tubs etc

tc556guy wrote: »
    It would still come up your other drains in your sinks tubs etc

Stuff them with cat litter in socks depending on the drain plugs you have

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Why stay?

• Advertisement

Graces7 wrote: »
    Why stay?

One reason is I'd have little faith in the ability of the authority that moved me to provide for my needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Grace has a point.You need to be clinical about it.

Yes, there is an amount of emotion attached to a home but from a survival point of view would you stay in a flooded camp? No, you'd bug out to a drier location and return when the camp had dried out.

Leave a flooded home taking what you immediately need. Returning where possible to remove what can be salvaged. Anything already in flood water is already lost.

For homes that are subject to repeated flooding, unfortunately some incredibly hard financial decisions need to be made. Decisions of the heart will cost you more financially and emotionally. We know that in this country you have to look after yourself in many respects.

Tactical wrote: »
    Grace has a point.You need to be clinical about it.

Yes, there is an amount of emotion attached to a home but from a survival point of view would you stay in a flooded camp? No, you'd bug out to a drier location and return when the camp had dried out.

Leave a flooded home taking what you immediately need. Returning where possible to remove what can be salvaged. Anything already in flood water is already lost.

For homes that are subject to repeated flooding, unfortunately some incredibly hard financial decisions need to be made. Decisions of the heart will cost you more financially and emotionally. We know that in this country you have to look after yourself in many respects.

Thats all very sensible but my question was should you be forced to leave your home? I'm obviously not going to stay here up to my neck in water but as I know far more about the local conditions than someone sent out by the government I'd reserve the right to move when I thought the time was right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

I would argue yes.

The authorities will try to provide a level of care to people in danger and to that end a forced evacuation may be necessary.

Resisting that can stretch resources which can lead to others experiencing issues. Care to people can sometimes better be provided in bulk rather than in a fragmented manner.

In an ideal world then one could remain, but with our limited resources and experience (just look at how sandbags are deployed as an example).

People remaining in flooded properties encounter obvious physical difficulties and are at increased risk of health issues. In fairness how many are in a position to deal with sewage issues over a prolonged period of time? Becoming ill as a result of remaining in a flooded premises puts a further strain on resources.

Someone in Clare who was evacuated was told she could not bring her pets.. Now in that scenario I may well go against my first reaction here. Would be like leaving children..memo; make sure I have enough cat carriers...

Thats all very sensible but my question was should you be forced to leave your home? I'm obviously not going to stay here up to my neck in water but as I know far more about the local conditions than someone sent out by the government I'd reserve the right to move when I thought the time was right.

It would be local people handling or controlling the evacuation and they would know more re the wider scenario than you in your flooded house and of course they have a schedule and might not be available if you dig your heels in then ask for help. So moving out " when the time is right" as YOU deem it might not be a possibility without taking help from other folk. All the rescue services are under terrible pressure at these times so quiescence is the most considerate and responsible thing. No man is an island even when knee deep in icy water! I would imagine they do have some powers but why force them to invoke them? You against the Army!

One reason is I'd have little faith in the ability of the authority that moved me to provide for my needs.

I think they call that situation Hobsons choice ;) Some were accommodated in an hotel and in emergency what are our real needs? A roof, dry clothes, heat and food.. This was and would be an emergency not a holiday... Imagine; cold, wet, dark night approaching and the power will go....anything is better than that. Shivers!

Advertisement