Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why didn't the Beatles ever return to Dublin?

• 27-12-2015 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭

That show on now, showing the pride of having them over etc is all good and well.

However, i am perplexed as to how they never returned in their 6 years remaining. Did they think "f that, what a kip" or what happened?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Los Lobos

Just too busy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Gmol

Probably not enough money in it. Also they stopped gigging in 66

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I think they stopped touring for good in 1966, although it is curious how they never returned in the intervening years.

Led Zeppelin only ever did one gig in Dublin and one in Belfast. I think we just weren't seen as a touring destination for some reason, maybe something to do with low capacity venues?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Ireland had no venues (no chance of using a GAA stadium back then - foreign music!) big enough, plus the generally riotous situashun in the wee six in the late 60s won't have helped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,001 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Could be many reasons.. by the time they could have come and fit more Irish gigs in their stardom would have been 100 fold. Back then did we have the venue ? Would music promotors have ability or experience to put on such huge show(s) here ? Could they afford the Beatles ? Many people think that bands just say yeah lets just rock up and play Ireland but its usually at the instigation of a promotor that brings them here. Back then and even into the 70's we were not a great attraction for big rock bands who would bypass us regularly. For a definitive answer you'd probably need to know somone who was attached to the promoting scene at the time. Also anther sceanario as somone else posted is that maybe they didnt have the time !

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,654 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I believe Brian Epstein said to them, "I wouldn't worry about it. It's not a big college town."

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭ASoberThought

They said the smell of benji was too much for Ringo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

It's a kip.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

It's a kip.

UNADULTERATED kip.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 652 ✭✭✭DanielODonnell

Ireland had no venues (no chance of using a GAA stadium back then - foreign music!) big enough, plus the generally riotous situashun in the wee six in the late 60s won't have helped.

Lennon was a Gael from a Fermanagh background but I suppose Fermanagh men were an unknown specimen in Croke Park

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Bob Marley kicked a ball around Dalymount

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Lennon was a Gael from a Fermanagh background but I suppose Fermanagh men were an unknown specimen in Croke Park

Lennon was a middle class English man, although he pretended to be a working class hero.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Can't remember who said this but it was someone knowledgeable on the industry, Tom Dunne was interviewing him.
    Most of the big bands that did play in Ireland, played here early on the tour schedule as Ireland was seen as a place to come to and iron out any kinks in the performance before taking the tour to more important cities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭whatismyname

sugarman wrote: »
    We had no venues worth playing.

The Point would have been a train yard.

The ambassador was a cinema.

The Olympia a small theatre.

Dalymount was as good as it got.

In fairness, when they played Dublin they played the Adelphi Cinema to 2,304 people, but several of the venues they later played at in other cities didn't have all that much more than that, many around the 2,500 mark.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

I presume the mixture of breaking America, heavy touring, making films and recording schedules had a lot to do with it. Also, as pointed out previously, Ireland was not usually a stop on bands touring schedules in those days so we were lucky they played here at all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 178 ✭✭BenedrylPete

Lets be fair.
    You have the world at your feet, are loaded with cash and have the options of ny milan london LA Rio etc.

Why go to large town/small city thats pissing rain and half run by the church.

Advertisement