Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Footwear recommendation

Options
  • 27-12-2015 10:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭

Hi All

Looking for some advice on what runners to purchase.

Started jogging a few months ago and now doing about 40km a week with the intentions to upping the km.

At the moment I'm running in some basics junior(I'm a size 3) nikes and adidas runners. I'm now getting an ache in the side of my right foot(attached pic of where) so going to purchase some new runners and see if that helps - can't do any harm as the ones I have are crap.

Gait analysis and online testing show I'm a neutral runner. Budget in around €100, any recommendations please?

Thanks
    Wexy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

I had a very similar sounding problem when I stepped up my running earlier on this year. I don't think it's runner related - despite thinking the exact same at the time - it's more like an overuse injury. I took it easy for a few weeks (there were a good few aborted runs) and it eventually went away. No harm in going to a physio to get a professional opinion, don't trust a word I say :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

That niggle can be caused by the width of the shoe. Kids shoes are narrower than adult shoes and repeated pressure on the area can inflame the tendons attached there.

You have tons of options on adult running shoes. Get proper advice and fitting. If neutral something like the ASICS Pulse around €100 or many other proper running brands available too. Not the fashion / leisure / gym shoe brigade though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Baggirshorts

Quite a few shops do gait analysis in house. I would pop into one or two of them and see if they agree with your running pronation....
    It may merely be something as simple as a wrong fitting size shoe that is gradually catching up with you as you run more.

Some runners can feel fine when only used for a few kilometers per week but the supports can give way as you up the kilometers...
    Good luck...

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭Wexy86

Thanks guys - think it may be more than bad footwear, put in a pair of heels this morn(first time since before Christmas) and when walking in my wellies with the dog a while ago and there's a strain when my foot is at certain angles - going to pop to a physio tomorrow eve and see what the story is.

Nonetheless my current runners aren't doing me any favours so going to get a decent pair. I done the fair analysis in Elverys before Xmas and they said neutral so hoping they are reputable.

Asics seems to get a good bit mentions
    so should I go with the pulse as mentioned by sconhome? I assume it'll be trial and error til I find the right runner, thanks for the input and knowledge :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Wexy86 wrote: »
    I assume it'll be trial and error til I find the right runner, thanks for the input and knowledge :-)

No, go and get fitted properly in a reputable running store. There is no trial and error if you are fitted & assessed properly. And I don't mean assessed for moulded insoles or by standing still on a piece of glass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭chainsmoker556

Hello!

I also had the same problem wearing adidas and nike runners. Maybe my feet is really sensitive lol! I decided not to run again because of the fear having blisters. My friends recommended something I can buy and check at http://www.footweartop.com/. As I browsed it, I learned that there are typical shoes I can buy to make my feet feel comfortable.You can also see runners there. Goodluck!

Advertisement