Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

STORM FRANK, Tuesday 29th-Wednesday 30th. Heavy Rain, Flooding and strong winds.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

How long is this to last?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Picking up all the time here in Kerry, gust of 71kph just now, avg 37 kph

8mm rainfall so far

990.2 hPa Fsalling Rapidly

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Toxica

SeaBreezes wrote: »
    Does anyone know what time the 'sting in the tail' winds will hit Cork and Kerry tomorrow morning?

I think it's supposed to be early morning, like 6am.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

http://www.fenitharbour.com/weather/

Gust 114.7km/h recorded at 13:35

Picking up all the time here in Kerry, gust of 71kph just now, avg 37 kph

8mm rainfall so far

990.2 hPa Fsalling Rapidly

How do you get that detail?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Latest from met eireann regarding tomorrow's 'sting'.

It will become extremely windy again in the morning, with strong to gale force southerly winds, which will veer west to northwest and give some severe gusts in places, especially in exposed hilly and coastal areas. There will be some further rain or showers also, heavy at times and with some hail or sleet in parts of Connacht and west Ulster. Cold in the afternoon, with temperatures of 5 to 8 C.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Gael23 wrote: »
    How do you get that detail?

My own station at Ardfert

My anemometer is at 6.5m. normally should be at 10m.

10 min avg speed now 39 kph

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Looks like the Met are going for the morning surge in winds.

If it does materialise will be quite severe, but very uncertain as the system could unwind before reaching Ireland.

Certainly an interesting 24 hours ahead for us weather enthusiasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Fairly Breezy here in the north east, nothing major yet, no rain either, but i guess its not far away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

Latest from met eireann regarding tomorrow's 'sting'.

It will become extremely windy again in the morning, with strong to gale force southerly winds, which will veer west to northwest and give some severe gusts in places, especially in exposed hilly and coastal areas. There will be some further rain or showers also, heavy at times and with some hail or sleet in parts of Connacht and west Ulster. Cold in the afternoon, with temperatures of 5 to 8 C.

MT suggests that the sting is for western counties only.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

maybe it will be the wind and not the rain after all that will be the big story?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

For a sheltered location I just got a gust of 78.9km/hr

km79 wrote: »
    maybe it will be the wind and not the rain after all that will be the big story?

Quite possibly, that's what knocks out power and blows down trees.

Getting quite windy now here in coastal north Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭flutered

here at the butt of the galtees its bad, i recon worse than desmond, as the damper had to be closed on the stove flue, all thogh it is on fll blast the room is kinda cold, heres me with a fleece on, it started about 11am, the the rain arrived at about 2pm, just now there is a lull, so it is getting ready to really blow

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭teddybones

Wind picking up very rapidly here in coastal Wicklow. Just had a 88kph gust. Mean speeds of 50kph last 10 minutes. And the worst is a long way off for us!

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭teddybones

km79 wrote: »

Am thinking you may be right. Wicklow getting battered.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Tomorrow still looking severe on the 12Z ARPEGE. 150-160 km/h gusts on the Clare coast. 130 km/h gusts inland from the north midlands to the north east.

15123010_2_2912.gif
    15123012_2_2912.gif

We'll see how the ECM looks later.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Pretzill wrote:
    Pretty big gusts now in South Sligo - ESB went for a minute but thankfully came back noticed one of the local villages is without power (according to the ESB app) had to drive out earlier today lots of localised flooding - the main road into Tubbercurry from Ballymote has quite a deepening flood - was getting worse as water was spewing out on to it and it will probably get worse ( if anybody is driving that way take care - it's in a dip in the road just into Tubbercurry)

That flood was there last Wednesday. Legacy of allowing the houses that were built to just let their rain water just run off onto the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Wouldn't mind landing at Donegal Airport at the moment. Latest winds 47 gust 60 knots!

METAR EIDL 291700Z 17047G60KT 9999 BKN024 OVC031 10/06 Q0988=

Sligo Airport right in there too! Full crosswind.

METAR EISG 291700Z 14032G60KT 110V180 8000 BKN020 OVC027 10/08 Q0988=

Finner 33 gust 56 kt

EDIT: Donegal actually reached 61 knots in an earlier SPECI report at 15:20Z.

SPECI EIDL 291520Z AUTO 17042G61KT 7000 FEW008 BKN021 OVC030 09/05 Q0993=

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,028 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Fairly Breezy here in the north east, nothing major yet, no rain either, but i guess its not far away

Thanks for this Rock Lesnar. We are away from home in Meath and I'm anxious about what will be waiting for us after tonight and tomorrow, when we get back in a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

It is WET in Cork City right now and VERY GUSTY...high tide is 7.59pm

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Lads this is probably a stupid question, but is the rain crossing the country at the minute part of the storm or is the heaviest still to come

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Very strong wind gusts in Galway now currently hitting 65 mph on regular basis, high tide at 7.30pm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Lads this is probably a stupid question, but is the rain crossing the country at the minute part of the storm or is the heaviest still to come

Heaviest to come

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

76km/h just recorded here in Waterford City.

www.waterfordcityweather.com

• Registered Users Posts: 8,743 ✭✭✭micks_address

76km/h just recorded here in Waterford City.

www.waterfordcityweather.com

Anyone know what conditions likely to be in Dublin tomorrow around 10am?
    Thanks
    Mick

Anyone know what conditions likely to be in Dublin tomorrow around 10am?
    Thanks
    Mick

Potential for it to be very windy or stormy, but equally it could just be moderately windy!

We await the EC output and now-casting!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Plenty of people out walking the dogs, jogging and a couple of cyclists here in East Galway.
    Warnings? What warnings?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Riverireland

Call me Al wrote: »
    Thanks for this Rock Lesnar. We are away from home in Meath and I'm anxious about what will be waiting for us after tonight and tomorrow, when we get back in a few days.

Nothing much happening in North Kildare or west dublin, don't be worrying, you couldn't change anything if you were here😊

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement