Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

STORM FRANK, Tuesday 29th-Wednesday 30th. Heavy Rain, Flooding and strong winds.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Timistry

Looks like Kenmare will be under water again in a few hours

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Plenty of people out walking the dogs, jogging and a couple of cyclists here in East Galway.
    Warnings? What warnings?

People think they are invincible sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,023 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

The cork to kinsale road is closed between five mile and belgooley due to a tree down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭legomaniac

I got attacked on here earlier and accused of being a troll simply because I stated that my son told me that the weather wasn't particularly bad earlier on the motorway to limerick. He is now in Killarney. It's raining, moderately, and the winds are not very strong. FACT. It seems that unless we are all posting stories of violent winds and rains we are lying. It may get worse. But at the moment this storm in Killarney is just a typical wet December event.

I'm in South Donegal. Wet and windy. Nothing out of the ordinary. Sorry to disappoint but that's how it is. I was just outside getting logs from the shed and I estimate it's a force 8 gale with some strong gusts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Timistry wrote: »
    Looks like Kenmare will be under water again in a few hours

Kerry CoCo have a road closure in place in Kenmare town and a caution alert on the R569 outside the town.

http://kerry.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=46bf3b143c914a42aeab5dc21740e3bc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I see Met Eireann have changed their orange rain warning to include more counties.

Rainfall Warning for Wicklow, Galway, Cork, Kerry, Kilkenny, Wexford and Waterford

Rainfall totals of 40 to 70 mm over 24 hours between Tuesday midday and Wednesday midday.
    Issued:
    Monday 28 December 2015 18:00
    Valid:
    Tuesday 29 December 2015 12:00 to Wednesday 30 December 2015 12:00

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 607 ✭✭✭jack o shea

since when are 100 kph winds classed as storms? another pile of crap from the media.if it was 100 mph it would be something.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

legomaniac wrote: »
    I got attacked on here earlier and accused of being a troll simply because I stated that my son told me that the weather wasn't particularly bad earlier on the motorway to limerick. He is now in Killarney. It's raining, moderately, and the winds are not very strong. FACT. It seems that unless we are all posting stories of violent winds and rains we are lying. It may get worse. But at the moment this storm in Killarney is just a typical wet December event.

I'm in South Donegal. Wet and windy. Nothing out of the ordinary. Sorry to disappoint but that's how it is. I was just outside getting logs from the shed and I estimate it's a force 8 gale with some strong gusts.

A 'typical wet December event' becomes quickly atypical when it is put in the context of weeks of wet weather leading to already flooded conditions in many parts of the country. You're being a bit dismissive of the potential danger this weather could cause for many people in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Lego the problem most have with these reports is that the report is localised to the area the poster is in.

Instead of reporting on the event as a whole, it would be more helpful if it was reported as
    Town, county, asl, conditions..

No need for one poster to report on current national conditions and downgrade warnings or call them as in correct.

Everyone should think locally.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

MJohnston wrote: »
    A 'typical wet December event' becomes quickly atypical when it is put in the context of weeks of wet weather leading to already flooded conditions in many parts of the country. You're being a bit dismissive of the potential danger this weather could cause for many people in Ireland.

But that's nothing to do with the storm. That's from previous storms.

In Dublin it's just windy, nothing unusual. Will head for a run soon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Latest EC has small circulation crossing country around 6am-midday.

Will bring second phase of severe winds. Higher res later updates of HIRLAM will be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

fairly bad here in Tipperary , plenty places flooded and impassable . all local soccer matches in the TSDL called off too due to damaged pitches

Killarney town has dropped from approx 25km/h average to under 10km/h average in the last 10 mins or so whilst Fenit is around 47km/h average at the moment.

So you can see a wide variance over relatively short distances.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

You know well why your being called a troll, stop playing the victim.

Carnacalla wrote: »

That's unfair. I am not contributing to this forum anymore. I'm reporting you for bullying.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

since when are 100 kph winds classed as storms?

Since the time of Francis Beaufort (1774-1857).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Nabber wrote: »
    Lego the problem most have with these reports is that the report is localised to the area the poster is in.

Instead of reporting on the event as a whole, it would be more helpful if it was reported as
    Town, county, asl, conditions..

No need for one poster to report on current national conditions and downgrade warnings or call them as in correct.

Everyone should think locally.

Leave Lego out of it.

Strong gusts and torrential rain in Kilkenny at the moment, apparently the same at home in Waterford.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 607 ✭✭✭jack o shea

pure joke, a man reporting live from galway now on rte is that a storm? ffs its ridiculous how any kind of a gale gets hyped up now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

Why wasn't Teresa Mannion in Salthill on the 6 news? Not fair! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Mod Note

I got attacked on here earlier and accused of being a troll

Then report the post to the mods - don't start a personal tit-for-tat and derail the thread
    Carnacalla wrote: »

Calling out other posters as trolls is not on so cut it out. If you have an issue with another poster then use the report button and cut out the personal attacks.

This is a first and final warning to both of you

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

The "sting in the tail", as they called it on the news.

IYjyYeg.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Riverireland

Have to agree on the east coast anyway. Haven't seen anything this year that wasn't normal winter weather. Very mild winter so far imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Maq is this one going to get a name as well 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

CXZ53GJWYAAgrH5.png:large

Lumi wrote: »
    Mod Note

Then report the post to the mods - don't start a personal tit-for-tat and derail the thread

Calling out other posters as trolls is not on so cut it out. If you have an issue with another poster then use the report button and cut out the personal attacks.

This is a first and final warning to both of you

Thanks

Sorry, it won't happen again.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Duvetdays

Just seen this pic on the journal taken at south wall yesterday. The mind boggles at the stupidity of some people.

BFA0600F-BF9D-4C18-88CD-15E82188D478.png_zpst47uilb0.jpeg

Flooding reported on Gap Road, Fossa, Killarney, Co. Kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Rattle

The "sting in the tail", as they called it on the news.

What time period does that cover?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

EC isn't as deep with the secondary low, and it does unravel quickly as it pushes north. Still a phase of inland gusts ~100km/hr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

And here is another example of absolute f-ing stupidity

Someone needing rescuing from Carrauntoohil today

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement