Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

STORM FRANK, Tuesday 29th-Wednesday 30th. Heavy Rain, Flooding and strong winds.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭weadick

On the way from Dublin to Cork now and the weather seems to be getting progressively worse on the way down. The gusts are particularly strong and our van is getting blown all over the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Hurricane force gusts possible tomorrow according to siobhan ryan from met eireann

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Latest weather forecast from ME on the television makes for very interesting conditions indeed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Storm 10

ME just said hurricane force winds in the morning, I'm off😱

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

EURO4 has the feature.

It seems now, a matter of when it will begin to fill. Certainly the south-west looks likely to get a resurgence of intense winds form ~6am

15123009_2912.gif

15123006_2912.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Surely red flag this one in the morning

485 people on the weather forum at the moment. Nearly as good as Snow Watch ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

No reference to tomorrow morning's strong winds in the sea area forecast issued at 6 pm.
    Meteorological situation at 1500: A storm depression of 948 hPa., 290 miles to the west of Belmullet, tracks northwards. A gale force southerly flow covers Ireland and active frontal troughs are embedded in the flow. A secondary depression will approach the southwest coast later tonight and will deepen.

Forecast for coasts from Roches Point to Slyne Head to Malin Head
    Wind: Generally south to southeasterly gale force 8 to storm force 10 and gusty, but decreasing force 7 to strong gale force 9 for a time overnight. Winds will veer west to northwesterly during the morning and will decrease force 6 to gale force 8 by early afternoon. Winds will back southwesterly later and decrease force 5 or 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,023 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Fair play to the regular heads on this forum for always being on top of these events. Now granted some of the technical stuff goes over my head but still a fair play is in order for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Does hurricane force gusts just mean gusts of around 75mph

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭blackbird99

link to climbers video on Carrauntoohill today https://www.facebook.com/KerryClimbing/videos/965991510142368/?fref=nfy

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Sammy96

So Met Eireann have just said there will be hurricane winds tomorrow in the west and south. Should they not be issuing a red warning now for that so people can be prepared?

Do people think Met Eireann are acting poorly here?

Is it not better to issue a warning now and not as it is happening?

Is it sustained hurricane force 12 winds or just gusts?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

legomaniac wrote: »
    I got attacked on here earlier and accused of being a troll simply because I stated that my son told me that the weather wasn't particularly bad earlier on the motorway to limerick. He is now in Killarney. It's raining, moderately, and the winds are not very strong. FACT. It seems that unless we are all posting stories of violent winds and rains we are lying. It may get worse. But at the moment this storm in Killarney is just a typical wet December event.

I'm in South Donegal. Wet and windy. Nothing out of the ordinary. Sorry to disappoint but that's how it is. I was just outside getting logs from the shed and I estimate it's a force 8 gale with some strong gusts.

Well Finner is getting gusts of over 110 km/hr so it is a tad stronger around than force 8, although you could be sheltered.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Hooter23 wrote: »

73 mph or above.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Storm 10 wrote: »
    ME just said hurricane force winds in the morning, I'm off😱
    Hooter23 wrote: »
    Sammy96 wrote: »
    So Met Eireann have just said there will be hurricane winds tomorrow in the west and south. Should they not be issuing a red warning now for that so people can be prepared?

Hurricane-force GUSTS. We've almost had them today (61 knot the highest so far). Nothing unusual about these.

I seem to recall that hurricane strength gusts were mentioned as a possibility.

No. They are acting in a very professional manner.

There are warnings issued. This is what the forecast is about. No doubt ME will update their website when appropriate to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭CB19Kevo

Conditions in South east Kerry are currently quite bad,
    Lot of surface water and strong gusts,Not a stand out event at the moment but certainly a lot of potential to cause severe damage.

Just to point to those that are saying this is a non event- Weeks of heavy rainfall and strong winds have created a situation where we have overflowing rivers/flooded roads and trees that are being tested on saturated soil.
    Taking this into consideration there is a high risk/inevitable danger of flood damage to property and potential loss of life.

Make of that what you wish but the warnings i feel are most definitely merited.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Will someone please tell RTÉ, Finner camp is in Donegal not Sligo.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

She said they were unsure of the track of it, so that may account for their reluctance. I'd say they'd get a fair slating here if that mini - storm missed the country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

SeaFields wrote: »
    And here is another example of absolute f-ing stupidity

Someone needing rescuing from Carrauntoohil today

They should be fined for such stupidity, that puts the lives of others at risk.
    A storm and heavy rain is forecast, who would think 'a great day to climb Ireland's highest mountain'????

• Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Speak Now

But that's nothing to do with the storm. That's from previous storms.

In Dublin it's just windy, nothing unusual. Will head for a run soon

Just a yellow warning for Dublin, no reason why you shouldn't unless you're vulnerable.

ESB Power Check map is starting to resemble a a porcupine below a line from Dublin to Ennis.

https://www.esb.ie/esb-networks/powercheck/

Well if its just gusts to 75mph gusts its nothing out of the ordinary using the words "hurricane force" makes it sound apocalyptic to the general public no wonder the papers get carried away with there headlines:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

I think Siobhan's use of the words "Hurricane force gusts" instead of "gusts in excess of 118 km/h" is more to do with the uncertainty regarding the secondary low and the possibility of very strong gusts for a time. Otherwise they would use that term every time we had gusts above 118 kmh, which is often, and they don't.

ARPEGE was showing a small core of sustained Force 12 winds briefly on the coast.

15123009_2_2906.gif

I agree with Maq.

Today there was a 114.7km/h gust recorded at Fenit. Not far off 118km/h...

I also think that people would take more heed of the phrase "hurricane force gusts" as opposed to gusts in excess of 118km/h. The language used is appropriate to warn people.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭vistafinder

Lashing since about 11.30 this morning in West Cork. Would be interested to see how much sunshine we are after getting down here this month.

Very little. Could be another record gone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DDHulO485k

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Bridge collapse in Yorkshire caught on camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Timistry

Some very strong gusts in South Kerry at the moment. Think we will see 70mm of rain too

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement