Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

STORM FRANK, Tuesday 29th-Wednesday 30th. Heavy Rain, Flooding and strong winds.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭vistafinder

Alleluia Alle Alle Alleluia…..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 736 ✭✭✭chillin117

Who names these storms ? Desmond, Eva ,Frank ? They should have more menacing names like Destruction, Ferocious etc, People might take more heed ! ! Look out, Desmond is coming, Does not make me tremble ! !:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Public consultation by Met Eireann and the UK Met Office.

The public got to submit names. The most popular submissions were chosen.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Tactical wrote: »
    Public consultation by Met Eireann and the UK Met Office.

The public got to submit names. The most popular submissions were chosen.

Was surprised to see Nigel and Wendy on the list though. Whatever about Storm Frank. Storm Nigel....hmmm.

Anyway, it's picking up in Dublin 9, a few major gusts, carrying some rain. I suspect a percussive evening is before me if the last few rain/wind nights are anything to go by.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,512 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

I have had a very close look at the developing secondary low or "son of Frank" -- there is a network of ocean buoys now between its 18z location (49.5 N 19.5 W, about 975 mbs) and southwestern counties of Ireland. This should help us to assess whether the feature is developing rapidly or just being pulled along in its current state as suggested by some guidance.

The effects at the first available buoy are already seen in a windshift from SSW to WSW with winds steady in the mid-30 knot range. There are no ships in the exact location needed as of 18z. Satellite imagery did not look overly ominous.

I am currently holding to my original idea that this will be a rather minor secondary energy centre that allows a slight increase in wind speeds around 0600h-0900h mainly on the west coast although I imagine it will be felt across the country in terms of wind gusts checking or increasing slightly during the morning to mid-day hours. Would currently estimate that it will push peak gusts back to about 55 kts from 40-45 values reached later tonight, but I do see the potential for a higher peak if everything came together just right. The wave is entering a zone of much higher upper level wind speeds and it continues to interact with steadily deepening Frank which is now bearing down on Iceland.

So my apologies if you read this far, only to find out I don't know for sure whether son of Frank is a mauler or just a kid trying to be like dad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭youreadthat

chillin117 wrote: »
    Who names these storms ? Desmond, Eva ,Frank ? They should have more menacing names like Destruction, Ferocious etc, People might take more heed ! ! Look out, Desmond is coming, Does not make me tremble ! !:confused:

It's not designed to scare people, it's designed to help people be aware and prepare by helping them associate news of weather with a single memorable event.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

chillin117 wrote: »

Storm Gerty is next, sounds like your old Aunt is coming to visit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 736 ✭✭✭chillin117

Xenji wrote: »
    Storm Gerty is next, sounds like your old Aunt is coming to visit.
    Her sister Hilda will be here in a few days

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Taytomal

Better start making plans....

for Nigel.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,444 ✭✭✭cml387

Taytomal wrote: »
    Better start making plans....

for Nigel.....

Oh you'd have to be of a certain age. Well played Taytomal, well played.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Xenji wrote: »
    Severe power outages around Westport with over 2000 homes without it, lights flickering in Castlebar, plenty of faults popping up on the EBS powercheck app.

Lucky we have our own generator on Inishrahar.

Wind currently SW at 77km/h in Fenit, Co. Kerry

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Some exciting weather from the top of howth head earlier this afternoon, a friend measured 79kph on his anemometer for a time. Got worse after dark but we obviously left then.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Padster90s

Northeast Galway, winds have stepped up a notch, can hear branches cracking and lots of stuff hitting the windows. See Weather Alert Ireland on Facebook have issued their own red warnings for tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭nedsgarden

Gusty here in Co Derry, mean 51 gusting 78mph @ 18.00

Malin at 60 knts.

hopefully just another couple of hours .....

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/observation/gcfch9jtd

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Not too bad in Galway City this evening, passing showers and a bit blowy. Looking at the radar, Kerry and Cork are getting an awful hammering.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Wild, mild but dry here.

Estonian 12z run shows a narrow zone of 40-60 knot gusts (lasting about an hour) affecting much of Munster and N Leinster from tomorrow morning in early afternoon.

373013.PNG

New Moon

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Tactical wrote: »
    Wind currently SW at 77km/h in Fenit, Co. Kerry

Heard power out for 60 properties in Fenit an hour ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Magilligan No. 2 (Derry, 6 m amsl) reported 44 gust 68 knots (126 kph) at 6 pm. Shot of the championship so far

http://www.ogimet.com/cgi-bin/gsynres?ind=03907&lang=en&decoded=yes&ndays=2&ano=2015&mes=12&day=29&hora=19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭acassells80

Has Dingle been affected by storms ? Plan to drive from Dublin to Tralee in the morning

Heard power out for 60 properties in Fenit an hour ago.

I see that.

ESB are saying around 8.15pm tonight for supply to return.

The last 30 mins have seen average windspeed increase in Fenit. Currently reporting 60km/h SSW.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

The "sting in the tail", as they called it on the news.

IYjyYeg.gif

What model is that Maq?

Has Dingle been affected by storms ? Plan to drive from Dublin to Tralee in the morning

Nothing reported currently.

Check AA Roadwatch http://www.theaa.ie/aa/aa-roadwatch.aspx

and Kerry CoCo twitter https://mobile.twitter.com/countykerry?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw
    and http://kerry.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=46bf3b143c914a42aeab5dc21740e3bc

as well as the Radio Kerry website news section http://www.radiokerry.ie/general-news/

for information as well as here and Met Eireann.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭B17G

Could somebody explain the abrupt change in cloud formation on Frank's eastern side. It's like a layer of cloud was dropped on to the layer beneath. Is it a frontal boundary, jet stream etc?

373019.jpg
    373020.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Recorded a gust of 88.9 km/h at 19:25 at my station.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭homolumo

When is the rain expected to clear?

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭gomamochi1

blowing heavy here on the cooley peninsula.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Very little rain here in Donegal , Storm isnt bad so far either, couple of bad gusts.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement