Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

STORM FRANK, Tuesday 29th-Wednesday 30th. Heavy Rain, Flooding and strong winds.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

• Registered Users Posts: 8,211 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Great updates folks. When is all this wind & rain supposed to die down, I'm in Limerick city.

Great updates folks. When is all this wind & rain supposed to die down, I'm in Limerick city.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=98221327&postcount=3941

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

CB19Kevo wrote: »

Just to point to those that are saying this is a non event- Weeks of heavy rainfall and strong winds have created a situation where we have overflowing rivers/flooded roads and trees that are being tested on saturated soil.
    Taking this into consideration there is a high risk/inevitable danger of flood damage to property and potential loss of life.

Yes it's the rainfall I would be more worried about. We're well used to high winds.

The rain seems to be fairly light thus far in Galway going from NUIG weather station (1.6mm since 2pm if I am reading it right)

http://weather.nuigalway.ie/12HourTrends.php

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Lots of flood reports coming in around county cork.
    Will it flood in the city at high tide?
    Should know in next 15mins

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

B17G wrote: »
    Could somebody explain the abrupt change in cloud formation on Frank's eastern side. It's like a layer of cloud was dropped on to the layer beneath. Is it a frontal boundary, jet stream etc?

373019.jpg
    373020.jpg

It's the jet stream cirrus shield, which is at around 30,000-35,000 ft. The cloud below it is at 10,000-15,000 ft.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Steady rain here, total so far 7.4mm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Storm frank causing problems at belfast airport meanwhile a gust of 126 kmh was recorded on the Derry coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

A very wet and windy night here in Wexford,the Slaney has been rising all day so I expect Enniscorthy to be flooded by morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Has Dingle been affected by storms ? Plan to drive from Dublin to Tralee in the morning

It's very very wild out here at the moment but I havent heard of any problems today. The worst place for floods is likely to be just past Blennerville near Tonevane/Annagh. Radio Kerry usually do good updates at times like this.
    Trees down - could be anywhere but there arent too many to begin with so it should be ok. Am doing the opposite trip myself -- to Naas anyway -- so hope it wont be too windy on the open parts of the M7 motorway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

Lots of wind and rain here close to New Ross. Por dogs are terrified!

Had to let the fire go out, the wind was blowing the smoke back down the chimney.

Hear Inistioge is flooded, as is Thomastown and I work in Bennettsbridge and need to pass both tomorrow, gotta give me extra travellng time tomorrow.

20 days with rain."......... Is it ever going to stop!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

The wind and rain in cork city is unreal at the moment.

lottpaul wrote: »
    The worst place for floods is likely to be just past Blennerville near Tonevane/Annagh. Radio Kerry usually do good updates at times like this.
    Trees down - could be anywhere but there arent too many to begin with so it should be ok. Am doing the opposite trip myself -- to Naas anyway -- so hope it wont be too windy on the open parts of the M7 motorway

There was flooding reported at Annagh earlier today. Detailed on the Kerry CoCo Twitter account https://mobile.twitter.com/countykerry/status/681925361714741248?p=v

There can be crosswinds on the M7 alright and it can be slick enough as far as Portloaise from Limerick. The N7 can be slick inbound too. I seen two cars go off the road on Christmas day afternoon due to surface conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

A huge difference between the 06Z and 12Z Hirlam runs regarding the timing of that strong gradient in the southwest tomorrow. The latest run has a savage gradient at 09Z tomorrow while the 06Z run had almost nothing at all.

06Z
    hirlam_grunnkort_msl_t850_rain3h_2015122906_27.jpg

12Z
    hirlam_grunnkort_msl_t850_rain3h_2015122912_21.jpg

Strong winds moving across Munster and much of Leinster through the day.

hirlam_grunnkort_msl_t850_rain3h_2015122912_24.jpg

Conditions here on west mayo coast tonight are atrocious,torrential rain and violent gusts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

leahyl wrote: »
    The wind and rain in cork city is unreal at the moment.

Yeah lots of flooding around cork county. With more heavy rain tomorrow bound to be a lot of problems

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

for updates on flooding in Cork
    https://www.facebook.com/corkfloodalerts/?fref=ts

The council has turned up in my street and is pumping the drains again, and that after some works they did last week.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

I feel the winds have died off a little from the 70s a few hours ago to 60s now. Max still 76km/h, Rain 18.3mm bringing the monthly total to 283.7mm

www.waterfordcityweather.com

• Registered Users Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

lazeedaisy wrote: »

20 days with rain."......... Is it ever going to stop!

A bit of humour....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Just walked the dogs a few miles West of Galway. The wind is gusty & often barely a breeze. The sea is nothing special & nowhere near overtopping. Even the gusts don't feel that strong. No more than 30 mph,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Winds in Galway city are gusting up to 57km/h at the moment.
    Highest gust was 71km/h at 15.32
    Just 2.8mm of rainfall recorded, 0.8mm in the last hour and quite mild at 12.4C
    Barometer 987.14 hPa Falling quickly -1.33 hPa/hr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Bejubby

I feel the winds have died off a little from the 70s a few hours ago to 60s now. Max still 76km/h, Rain 18.3mm bringing the monthly total to 283.7mm

www.waterfordcityweather.com

Just a little.
    Heavy rain is gone for the moment too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

I took a spin out to Strove Head in Co. Donegal today and took a quick video of the wind.

https://youtu.be/zBTn50WcHH4

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Lumi wrote: »
    Winds in Galway city are gusting up to 57km/h at the moment.
    Highest gust was 71km/h at 15.32

That gust must of been a high peak. It was nowhere near that during my walk & I was right by the sea.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Discodog wrote: »
    That gust must of been a high peak. It was nowhere near that during my walk & I was right by the sea

Same as that , we seem to be getting away light thankfully

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Flood reports coming in from all over cork on aa roadwatch. With several more hours of heavy rain forecast it's looking v serious

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭blobbyblob

Time to own up - Who killed the rain spider?

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

Flood reports coming in from all over cork on aa roadwatch. With several more hours of heavy rain forecast it's looking v serious

The Bandon is rising pretty fast as well, hope they escape.
    http://www.bandonfloodwarning.ie/admin/graphs/Graph_36h_0000020001.gif

I took a spin out to Strove Head in Co. Donegal today and took a quick video of the wind.

Fixed YouTube link ;) Took me a while how to figure out this previously ;):)

• Advertisement

Met Éireann is considering naming a second storm which is due to lash Ireland immediately after the deep Atlantic depression known as Storm Frank clears tomorrow.Storm Gertrude, as the second storm would be known, could mark the seventh major weather event since the inception of the new naming system for winter storms in Ireland and the UK.

Irish times.

Meanwhile...

Iarnród Éireann ✔ @IrishRail
    Due to subsidence on the line. Bus transfers currently in operation from Killarney, Tralee & Mallow until further notice
    Retweeted by OfficeofPublicWorks

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement