Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

STORM FRANK, Tuesday 29th-Wednesday 30th. Heavy Rain, Flooding and strong winds.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Birtles

Flood reports coming in from all over cork on aa roadwatch. With several more hours of heavy rain forecast it's looking v serious

Just drove 20 miles to work near cork City, roads are terrible, took an hours. was driving 4x4 if I had a car i would have turned around and gone hone. had to tow a 4x4 santa fe out of one road/pool. his engine had conked in the middle. still met a few heros bombing along along in cars.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Wind had eased a bit but back up now here in Ardfert , 10 min avg 43 kph gust 85 kph , 17mm rainfall

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Aimsir

Yeah lots of flooding around cork county. With more heavy rain tomorrow bound to be a lot of problems

Where are ye getting that info from please?

Ok found that....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Lumi wrote: »
    Winds in Galway city are gusting up to 57km/h at the moment.
    Highest gust was 71km/h at 15.32
    Discodog wrote: »
    That gust must of been a high peak. It was nowhere near that during my walk & I was right by the sea.

Yes, the highest gusts were around 3.49 this afternoon in Dangan. It's gusting up to 50-57km/h with mean speeds around 31km/h so just a moderate F4 breeze now.
    Just back from Salthill myself - nice invigorating stroll :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Just read on that fb page about cork flooding that south mall has flooded - how badly I don't know but that's where the wedding im going to is tomorrow....!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

The Bandon is rising pretty fast as well, hope they escape.
    http://www.bandonfloodwarning.ie/admin/graphs/Graph_36h_0000020001.gif

Not a good sign. Could get very bad there in a day or two

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

for updates on flooding in Cork
    https://www.facebook.com/corkfloodalerts/?fref=ts

The council has turned up in my street and is pumping the drains again, and that after some works they did last week.

County sound are giving good updates too. 96 pretty useless. Lots of roads in mid cork that are flooded to some degree or other id say, beyond the usual / traditional water collection points.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭leavingirl

Met Éireann is considering naming a second storm which is due to lash Ireland immediately after the deep Atlantic depression known as Storm Frank clears tomorrow.Storm Gertrude, as the second storm would be known, could mark the seventh major weather event since the inception of the new naming system for winter storms in Ireland and the UK.

Irish times.

Meanwhile...

Iarnród Éireann ✔ @IrishRail
    Due to subsidence on the line. Bus transfers currently in operation from Killarney, Tralee & Mallow until further notice
    Retweeted by OfficeofPublicWorks

At this rate they'll run out of names before long. They'll just name the storm 'some cu^t'

The name Getrude sounds like an evil aunty sent around just to cause more trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

Any ideas what time the wind will start to veer W/NW?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

:-(
    leahyl wrote: »
    Just read on that fb page about cork flooding that south mall has flooded - how badly I don't know but that's where the wedding im going to is tomorrow....!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Kinsale energy gusting 62 knots, Malin head 60 knots. very gusty in Castlebar with persistent heavy rain. a nasty night for travelling etc . anyone have a highest official gust so far,i.e from met eireann?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Update from Kerry CoCo Twitter

Road at rangue killorglin flooded. Road between beaufort bar and joys cross impassable. Carnahone closed. Lots of branches down all over.

https://mobile.twitter.com/countykerry/status/681937030587265025?p=v

• Registered Users Posts: 40,023 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

for updates on flooding in Cork
    https://www.facebook.com/corkfloodalerts/?fref=ts

The council has turned up in my street and is pumping the drains again, and that after some works they did last week.

Christ it's all over the city and county. Also the rail line between mallow and Tralee and Killarney has subsided and it's closed until further notice according to Irish rail.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,023 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

leahyl wrote: »

Bring a canoe and and wellies.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

Decided to head out to Killary Harbour. Wild is an understatement

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Sky news weather showed it dry for the West and South of the country by 6am tomorrow so might only have the wind to contend with.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Kinsale energy gusting 62 knots, Malin head 60 knots. very gusty in Castlebar with persistent heavy rain. a nasty night for travelling etc . anyone have a highest official gust so far,i.e from met eireann?

60 knots at both Finner and Malin Head. 61 knots at Donegal Airport and 68 knots at Magilligan No. 2 (Derry).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

leavingirl wrote: »
    At this rate they'll run out of names before long. They'll just name the storm 'some cu^t'

The name Getrude sounds like an evil aunty sent around just to cause more trouble.

Nope- we just go back to 'A' and start again!! I'm off to round up some male and female animals.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

18Z HIRLAM has downgraded the strength of the secondary low for tomorrow morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Serious all over cork with many roads impassable. What are they reporting from galway for on main news. It's all going on in cork ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

When is the worst of frankie to make an appearance in the north east

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Almost every road in the Cork city area + Lee Valley is flooded. The main N22, N25, N28 and N71 are all flooded, this is getting quite serious

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭La.de.da

Still bucketing down here waterford/tipp border. Many local flooding issues.

Will there be any let up on the rain at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Serious all over cork with many roads impassable. What are they reporting from galway for on main news. It's all going on in cork ffs

The flooding will be the major issue. It's windy in salthill every day. Suppose the flooding is only within the last hour or two and too wet for paschal to venture out

Fromm AA Roadwatch

The N65 Portumna/ Borrisokane Rd remains closed on the Portumna side of Carrigahorig due to flooding. Diversions are in place via Lorrha.

http://www.theaa.ie/AA/AA-Roadwatch/Story.aspx?id=89475

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Might be flooding in Cork but it's got worse in County Galway yours will go down its increasing here hundreds of homes and business flooded

When is the worst of frankie to make an appearance in the north east

We're keeping him in the South if the country :p

Wind at Fenit SW at 62km/h.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

marno21 wrote: »
    Almost every road in the Cork city area + Lee Valley is flooded. The main N22, N25, N28 and N71 are all flooded, this is getting quite serious
    Im watching the updates on the Garda Checkpoint page and its very serious, dont think Ive seen it this bad before now and Bandon are getting it again.Hope everyone stays safe .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement