Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

STORM FRANK, Tuesday 29th-Wednesday 30th. Heavy Rain, Flooding and strong winds.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Absolutely bucketing down here again, crazy gusts

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭RoisinD

legomaniac wrote: »
    Seriously this has to be said. The media is hyping this gale way to much. All motorways and national routes are perfectly passable, if a bit wet. I am in South Donegal. I have seen storms over the years... this is a strong gale.

As has been pointed out before everything is relative. You are lucky, others may be not so. Please do not try and denigrate what is happening elsewhere.

Where I am near the NW coast of Clare it is not yet as bad as other events this year but I can see that it has the potential to be. We have had fairly strong gusts and the rain at the moment is brutal. I like to read what is happening elsewhere Maybe take a read of what is happening in Cork, events which I am sure is being replicated elsewhere https://www.facebook.com/corkfloodalerts/?fref=ts

Just be grateful that you are in position you are in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

Rainfall has just stepped up a gear in Oughterard. Hell of a shower there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

https://twitter.com/Wexcoastbirds

Graignamanagh in Kilkenny looks awful

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Seriously this has to be said. The media is hyping this gale way to much. All motorways and national routes are perfectly passable, if a bit wet. I am in South Donegal. I have seen storms over the years... this is a strong gale.

You'd be whistling a different tune if you were in the south. N24 closed near Clonmel earlier due to flooding, N72 near Tallow closed due to a tree down, N25 near Carrigtwohill closed for a while earlier due to flooding, N71 closed through Bandon, Thomastown impassable, Nore burst its banks at Graiguenamanagh - serious damage likely there now. I drove the M9 from KK to Waterford at teatime and I thought I was going to end up in Kansas.

Be thankful that you're not getting the worst of it... yet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Took a spin around Enniscorthy in the jeep.There's a fookin Go Safe van parked outside the Tec on the Milehouse Rd.
    Anyway,the Still Pond by Monart Spa is flowing over and the road and houses opposite are flooded,the road past the Spa is flooded in parts but passable with care-better to avoid it though.
    The Promenade is starting to flood in town and the car park at the Riverside hotel has started to flood as water is backing up through storm drains,99% of cars are gone from the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

In Fenit the wind is still averaging 60km/h from the SW.

Plenty of flooding in mid-kerry as evidenced on the CoCo pages.

This event is most definately having a major effect on Counties Cork and Kerry.

By viewing the various maps one can see that the worst of things are south of a line between Dublin and Galway. That's not to say other areas aren't experiencing poor conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

https://twitter.com/Wexcoastbirds

Graignamanagh in Kilkenny looks awful

Grim:

CXbUI_fWkAEdOap.jpg:large

Must be streaming through from the other side of those buildings!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

CXbWB-SWAAEjG_7.jpg:large

Graignamanagh Co. Kilkenny Main Street :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Omg MJohnston that is unreal!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Time for a red warning now for cork
    The rainfall is unprecedented

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Legomaniac is taking a break from the forum so he can't respond

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭leavingirl

yeah right Frank

https://youtu.be/5NNOrp_83RU

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Looks like a major flooding event unfolding.

Looking wind-wise, AREPGE still has small system, more detailed info re. wind-speeds, higher resolution of low will be available soon.

Then we have EURO4 rolling out ~ midnight.

arpegeeur-0-15.png?18

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

In Graiguenamanagh yep the stream runs behind those buildings so it has burst its banks behind them, flowing through them and down the main street to the barrow. Looks absolutely awful :(

All quiet now here in West kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Time for a red warning now for cork
    The rainfall is unprecedented

50mm in 12 hours or 70mm in 24 hours?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

The swirl can be seen on the late satellite imagery to the circa 200 miles off the south-west coast

h-image.ashx?region=eu&time=201512292300&ir=True

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Bicycle

Sky News have got hold of that Graiguenamanagh video and are showing it. It must be horrific for the owners of those businesses and the residents there. :(:eek:

Thankfully we've been relatively quiet here in Limerick so far - but driving through the city earlier, it was like Sandbag City. They have augmented the sandbags on the Condell Road (where the banks of the Shannon were partially breached last year).

Thanks everyone for posting the reports.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

This is getting worse :(

rain%20tonight-1_zpsfe5sotoh.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭patbundy

any news from other counties affected

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Rainfall intensity increasing here big time. It's just spilling from the sky at this stage.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Some of the pics here are awful.

I hope those affected will be alright and not injured in a car or anything.

This is very bad for those concerned.

I wish I could do something to help. But I can't, mother nature is the boss at the moment.

Stay safe, and don't go out if you don't absolutely need to. All the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Rainfall intensity increasing here big time. It's just spilling from the sky at this stage.

Same here...Oranmore...bucketing down.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

there is ALOT of rain on the way in from the west, there will be big trouble from this. as ever, great to see all the posts on here from all around the country. ya know yourself, stay safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

MJohnston wrote: »
    Grim:

CXbUI_fWkAEdOap.jpg:large

Must be streaming through from the other side of those buildings!

I'm down town in Graig at the moment. Absolutely mental whats happening. The River Duiske runs along the back of those shops. To make matters even worse, the Barrow has now broken its banks and backing up the floodwaters from the Duiske.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

fits wrote: »
    In Graiguenamanagh yep the stream runs behind those buildings so it has burst its banks behind them, flowing through them and down the main street to the barrow. Looks absolutely awful :(

All quiet now here in West kerry.

The rainfall radar shows more heavy rainfall approaching the Kingdom.

Fenit currently 53km/h and maintaining its 60km/h average SW. Although it is starting to veer more Westerly than earlier. Unfortunately this may just bring the rainfall shown on the rainfall radar straight to thwe areas in mid-Kerry already experiencing flooding.

Other more knowledagble posters may be able to offer a more accurate analysis than my laymans view.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Looks like a major flooding event unfolding.

Looking wind-wise, AREPGE still has small system, more detailed info re. wind-speeds, higher resolution of low will be available soon.

Then we have EURO4 rolling out ~ midnight.

arpegeeur-0-15.png?18
    looks vicious for the sw

• Registered Users Posts: 28,215 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

What's this about little frank building on the tail of frank, Youghal yacht club just posted a link, hurricane forece winds between 6am and 9am tomorrow, it was posted on that Facebook link a few posts up..

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Sammy96

Rain is severe in Cork county. This surely should have been a red alert for rain in Cork? Met Eireann mess again?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,215 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Sammy96 wrote: »
    Rain is severe in Cork county. This surely should have been a red alert for rain in Cork? Met Eireann mess again?

Red should only be used when the crap really hits the fan, think it was used a bit early a few weeks ago. Red should be real danger/loss of life. I reckon we should still be yellow right now, if we have a tsunami like 300 years ago nobody will take it really seriously.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement