Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

STORM FRANK, Tuesday 29th-Wednesday 30th. Heavy Rain, Flooding and strong winds.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

eastmayo wrote: »
    Is it likely now that this storm will not be named as the winds don't look 2 bad.

I think they name everything that brings Orange warning winds. While this won't be as severe as it looked a few days ago, it will still bring winds of Orange alert level over Tuesday-Wednesday and a lot of rain. So I'd imagine it will be named.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Well guys storm has just been named.
    Welcome to frank

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Also, for people who now think this storm is now a nonevent, don't. Be prepared, it may catch you by surprise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭B17G

Looks like we'll dodge the bullet though.

EDIT: dodge a wind event probably. Rainfall amounts could be significant though.

372806.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Torrential rain here now. It wouldn't want to last too long or flooding a major issue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Met Eireann orange warning issued and added to OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭Coles

MetCheck has a warning in place for Ireland.
    Severe Weather Warning for Severe Gales/Heavy Rain

An extremely active area of low pressure will affect all parts of Ireland during Tuesday evening and overnight into Wednesday.

Initial concerns are on Tuesday evening when a strengthening Southwesterly wind will increase to gale force across all parts with severe gales, perhaps storm force winds for exposed coastal locations.

Overnight, a band of heavy/torrential rainfall will cross slowly from the West. Many area will see 25-50mm of rainfall withing a 12 hour period with some areas, chiefly parts of Southwest and Central Ireland seeing 75-100mm (3-4") of rainfall which will lead to an increased risk of local/regional flooding and disruption.

https://www.metcheck.com/IE/warnings.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭shmaupel

Relatively calm and dry in south Donegal atm. Delighted that it now looks like the worst winds will remain at sea. Feel very sorry for all those further south who are already flooded and looking down the barrel of more rain ☹

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Torrential rain here now. It wouldn't want to last too long or flooding a major issue

So far only one issue here according to AA roadwatch map. South Kerry 400 asl. Hoping to get out early tomorrow for a while early tomorrow if roads are clear still

EURO4 rain up until 6am Wednesday, as far as the model goes.

15123006_2_2806.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,444 ✭✭✭cml387

We've already had 13mm of rain here this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

"We still dont know what the intensity will be as the storm approaches ireland" so she said on the radio

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭squarecircles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭B17G

Euro 4. Winds at 3pm tomorrow.

15122915_2_2806.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

We had a brief respite from the rain here in Wexford,about an hour or two of dry weather and it's raining again now.Frank will be a top up.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Sounds.....ah well, just time to get out and back first thing tomorrow then back to indoors. Stay on time please Frank! No early arrival.. South Kerry 400 asl

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

12Z ups the ante for rainfall.
    Red warning becoming more likely now for South and West esp

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Any day in particular?a lot of heavy rain already today

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Is there any chance of putting together an update for the "sticky" links, that will give the web location (ideally link) and source of the updates that are quoted here on a regular basis, and that posters indicate which system their post relates to, while the post quoted may well be true, without being able to see the map or chart that it's referring to, as quoted, that post is not a lot of help in determining the areas that are at risk, and for me, knowing what the risk factor is for my own local area is of prime importance if the forecast is for heavy rain.

In other words, the above quote ideally reads something like 12Z from ECMWF ups the ante....., with the requirement that there be a link in the sticky that makes it easy to find and display the ECMWF site that's being referred to.

The other alternative is for the poster to embed the map or chart into the post, as many here do, so that users like me can see what they're referring to.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭naughto

U can't see the location on touch site

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

naughto wrote: »
    U can't see the location on touch site

I've rephrased that line, it's the Web location (link or URL) that's needed, to allow other users to be able to see the information. As posted, I don't know which of a number of sources is responsible for the 12Z update, so just referring to it doesn't make it possible to then look at it and make an assessment of what's being predicted for a specific geographic location within the county.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Part of the N4 between Dromod and Newtownforbes towards Dublin is flooded and almost impassable

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

In other words, the above quote ideally reads something like 12Z from ECMWF ups the ante....., with the requirement that there be a link in the sticky that makes it easy to find and display the ECMWF site that's being referred to.

Meteociel is already in the sticky, and its the GFS Maq is refering too. Heres the latest ppn charts link.
    http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfse_cartes.php?ech=6&code=0&mode=2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

After midday this afternoon in West Limerick there was a considerable amount of surface water lying on tertiary roads. The water in places was crossing the road i.e. minor surface flooding.

There is plenty of flooding evident in fields also. A morning of continual rain in the mid-West and more rain forecast over the coming days will no doubt lead to plenty more issues on the roads.

Thanks to all who provide updates an analysis of the weathe and expected conditionsr. As well as being really useful to plan my movements and activities it is pretty darn interesting reading. An insight to the science behind the forecasting, while somewhat of a black art to me, is educational (to me) in a way that grabs my attention. So wether it be hail, rain, shine or snow, being able to see the charts for the various models and reading the analysis and interpretation is both practical and insightful.

So if we get serious rainfall or wind or both or just typical winter weather conditions, as a result of reading the posts on the forum I can plan / prepare accordingly so any impact for me is minimised.

I continue to look forward to extremes of weather so I can experience the raw power of nature (whilst hoping and wishing that everyone is safe and well). Nothing beats standing on the top of a hill in serious wind, standing watching from a suitable distance waves crashing on the shore or feeling the heat on a sunny day. Makes you realise how insignificent in the over all scheme of things we really are.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Captain Snow

Capture1_Frank.png
    photo uploading websites

Warm Frank. Lots of warm air been pumped into the Arctic.

Total gusts up to midnight tomorrow. Not severe but pretty much everywhere could see gusts to 100 km/h, which would feel strong enough for counties well inland from the coast. A bit stronger in the west and south. West coast may get close to 130 km/h as Frank passes by.

l1RVr88.png

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Rainfall predictions on the GFS 12Z between now and 13.00 Weds

HMtrFd8.gif

12Z ECM with that little secondary low bringing strong winds into the southwest on Wednesday.

ECU1-48.GIF?28-0

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

I think the GFS Gusts chart has been fairly consistant now the last few runs although it has the big winds leaving the East coast earlier Weds morning then previous runs.

jolRx1l.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

So I have to travel from castlebar to Dublin in the next 48hrs, any advice on when to go? Travelling with out 10 month old so would prefer to be safe

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement