Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

STORM FRANK, Tuesday 29th-Wednesday 30th. Heavy Rain, Flooding and strong winds.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭leavingirl

What's this about little frank building on the tail of frank, Youghal yacht club just posted a link, hurricane forece winds between 6am and 9am tomorrow, it was posted on that Facebook link a few posts up..

a new storm with a new name - Gertrude

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Dollseyes

Cannot believe some of the pictures posted.. Awful to see! Stay safe everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Sammy96 wrote: »
    Rain is severe in Cork county. This surely should have been a red alert for rain in Cork? Met Eireann mess again?
    The biggest failure is rte news coverage.
    Cork is in a terrible state this evening and risk to life ie red warning is certain

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭patbundy

just seen on facebook,blackpool in cork
    flooded for the 4th time

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Birtles

mayo.mick wrote: »
    This is getting worse :(

rain%20tonight-1_zpsfe5sotoh.jpg

yep, its heavier than its been all day, wont show until rainfall totals from 12am updates from Met

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

11 pm, over 6mm of rain in claremorris in the past hour....winds not a feature (for now) , rain is the big one.....

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Sammy96

The biggest failure is rte news coverage.
    Cork is in a terrible state this evening and risk to life ie red warning is certain

Oh agreed. My folks can't get over the poor coverage. But RTE is like the public service, it closed down for two weeks at Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭yllw.ldbttr

Absolutely bucketing rain in Watergrasshill, Cork. I've never seen volumes of rain like this.

It's too wet to go out and take a pic but the garden is under a few inches of water. Just hopeing it doesn't come up as far as the house now.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

The rain started around midday in Cork and hasn't stopped since....nearly 12 hours and still more to come, unbelievable

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Monsoon rains outside here in west Clare. Place is starting to flood, drains can't handle it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

Was out at delphi and killary harbour earlier and recorded a 118KMH gust

• Registered Users Posts: 28,215 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Birtles wrote: »
    yep, its heavier than its been all day, wont show until rainfall totals from 12am updates from Met

Birtles how do this months rainfall levels compare to November 2009, where can you see month so far?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Currently preparing my boat.....for rowing down the South Mall tomorrow..... :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

Impact of the Storm in the Artic

Just seen this article showing how it could affect the artic circle as it passes through tomorrow.
    Models showing the warm air could cause a fluxuation of temperatures of up to 30c bringing the temps from the typical -30c to 0c.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,793 ✭✭✭Comhrá

I have a feeling that come tomorrow morning when the media, RTE, Newstalk etc. get going, the nation will be in a state of shock when the extent of today & tonight's deluge becomes apparent to all.

I have a feeling that the situation unfolding over the next couple of days might be the worst for many years - even more than 2009.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Sammy96 wrote: »
    Rain is severe in Cork county. This surely should have been a red alert for rain in Cork? Met Eireann mess again?

Orange covers the following for rain

50mm – 70mm in 24 hrs
    40mm – 50mm in 12 hrs
    30mm – 40mm in 6 hrs

Doubt they've been exceeded, any station tallies?

Had about 25mm in waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Malcolm600f

Thankfully Frank did not come anywhere near me in SW Donegal..Bit windy but nothing major.Might have reached gale force for a short time , probably force 5 now..No major rain here at all today so when no rain with wind its never as bad..rain just starting now..

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭patbundy

leahyl wrote: »
    Currently preparing my boat.....for rowing down the South Mall tomorrow..... :-D

eh you live on a hill,just get waders:D

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

Birtles how do this months rainfall levels compare to November 2009, where can you see month so far?

http://www.met.ie/climate/monthly-data.asp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Quite a violent deluge now.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭vistafinder

Holy crap

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

18Z ARPEGE has also downgraded tomorrow's secondary low. Still showing gusts of 130-140 km/h possible on the coast but it's quite a bit weaker than how it looked this morning.

arpegeuk-52-24-0_oii7.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Heavy rain and getting gusty in Galway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Orange covers the following for rain

50mm – 70mm in 24 hrs
    40mm – 50mm in 12 hrs
    30mm – 40mm in 6 hrs

Doubt they've been exceeded, any station tallies?

Had about 25mm in waterford.

I'd love to see an official tally.

Rain gauge at a friends house in mid cork showing 88mm. Obviously I can't vouch for the accuracy but local conditions do indicate exceptional weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Although it has been raining non stop in Castlebar since early morning, it is really started to come down a lot heavier in the last half hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Tis no doubt that rte pack in for about 2 weeks around Christmas.
    A few days is acceptable but not that long

This story is going to be huge by the morning.
    One only wonders what's backing up at iniscarra dam in cork.
    Once that's released the city will be in trouble

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭DIF

I drove from Douglas to Rathcormac around 7pm and I'd never seen so much flooding in the 10 years I've been living near Rathcormac. So after another 4 hours of intensive rain the roads must be in an even worse condition. Stay off the roads people!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

It's a real tiny system, but nasty.. Wouldn't be too certain on its track either

arpegeuk-2-15-0.png?29-23

arpegeuk-2-18-0.png?29-23

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement