Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

STORM FRANK, Tuesday 29th-Wednesday 30th. Heavy Rain, Flooding and strong winds.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭squarecircles

The biggest failure is rte news coverage.
    Cork is in a terrible state this evening and risk to life ie red warning is certain

The rte news coverage is very poor,says it all when you have to rely on social media to find out what's happening in various regions of the country.no mention of the unfolding situation in cork on the 9 news.very slack for a state broadcasters news service.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Tis no doubt that rte pack in for about 2 weeks around Christmas.
    A few days is acceptable but not that long

This story is going to be huge by the morning.
    One only wonders what's backing up at iniscarra dam in cork.
    Once that's released the city will be in trouble

To be honest, it's bad enough now without Pascal Sheehy making look and sound even more miserable than it already is :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Heavy rain here for a while now. Doesn't look good for people who were flooded close to the river recently. It was full this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭aisling86

leahyl wrote:
    The rain started around midday in Cork and hasn't stopped since....nearly 12 hours and still more to come, unbelievable

Just saw on twitter 44mm fell in cork city since noon.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭mountainy man

It has been fairly quiet here so far, we lost power for 3 hours but not sure if storm related as its not windy as yet, very grateful to ESB Networks. Heavier rain starting now.

So sad to see homes and businesses damaged.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

If the same weather that is hitting Cork now and for most of the day was happening in Dublin they would be all over it with special reports every 5 minutes.

After the last few storms they always seemed to forget about what is west of the Shannon after the damage had been done.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

If anyone thinks this a big standard strong gale they should probably take a look at AA roadwatch Twitter feed. It's carnage in the south/southeast

https://twitter.com/aaroadwatch/status/681976668140007424

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Thank you to the posters who advised travel this morning. We got dry roads clear of traffic leaving at 9 this morning. Tucked up safely in bed now reading the thread safe and warm.

On a separate note is there anyway to force the desktop site on an iPhone safari? Every time I try it goes back to the touch and I can't see locations then. Someone suggested starting an automatic trend of posting where you are first which would be cool

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

aisling86 wrote: »

Cork Apt recorded 27.9mm since noon, and 30.3mm since midnight.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

aisling86 wrote: »

Is that all??!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,023 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

2009 all over again. I hope that wall by the mercy was reinforced properly this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Speak Now

I'd love to see an official tally.

Rain gauge at a friends house in mid cork showing 88mm. Obviously I can't vouch for the accuracy but local conditions do indicate exceptional weather.

88mm would be exceptional alright if verified.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

The wind subsiding now in my part of the hill in South Sligo but strong rain just there causing the leaks in the kitchen to reappear - rain seems to be a bigger feature here and on already saturated ground - my fear if there is a sting in Harry's tail is that trees will fall -

Also wondering if there will be colder precipitation in the form of snow on the back of all this? I'm about 350 ft asl.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Galway1989

18Z ARPEGE has also downgraded tomorrow's secondary low. Still showing gusts of 130-140 km/h possible on the coast but it's quite a bit weaker than how it looked this morning.

arpegeuk-52-24-0_oii7.png

em... still looks like we'll have been blown over to county Roscommon when I wake in the morning.. I should probably get some shut eye now!:eek:
    This one will definitely be waking me. How I love the southwest facing bedroom window

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭poconnor16

That's what I'm thinking....what will be released from the damn? It was half the rate of 2009 at last report..

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭RoisinD

Thankfully Frank did not come anywhere near me in SW Donegal..Bit windy but nothing major.Might have reached gale force for a short time , probably force 5 now..No major rain here at all today so when no rain with wind its never as bad..rain just starting now..

Good to hear someone is escaping and so nicely put as well. :)

Here in NW Clare rain is bucketing down, wind gusts nothing too alarming but as like elsewhere the water levels will be the problem. It is at times like this you appreciate living on a hill.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

The rte news coverage is very poor,says it all when you have to rely on social media to find out what's happening in various regions of the country.no mention of the unfolding situation in cork on the 9 news.

Galway and Mayo yes, Cork no. Locally hearing that all around Iniscarra is flooded. If the dam has to be opened the city is goosed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

If the rain keeps up and the expected high tide in the morning Cork City is going to be an interesting scene tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Rain remains very intense but the wind is picking up again big time. Sounds just plain mad out there now with growling and howls. Frank has arrived.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 28,215 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

That's doesn't look good, most of rainfall in the last few years this month, I'm trying to compare it to the graph on this page from Bandon 2009 but can't find a day by day breakdown, it looks like we're aiming for 2009 territory.
    http://www.bandonfloodwarning.ie/bandontown.htm just wondering how it compares if you can make sense of it...just hoping I won't have to don the wellies in the morning...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Xenji wrote: »
    Although it has been raining non stop in Castlebar since early morning, it is really started to come down a lot heavier in the last half hour.

The rain is belting the side of the building here in Inishraher. Sounds like its raining constantly. Should get some sleep as have asanas to do at 8 am. Lucky its indoors :)

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Birtles

Birtles how do this months rainfall levels compare to November 2009, where can you see month so far?

Nov 09 @ 245.3 mms - Dec 2015 up to last night 326 mms.

Rain fall was much worse heading back towards the Kerry border in 2009, esp around the days cork/bandon floods and this is the catchment area for Bandon and Lee rivers. There is a Met report showing local totals for 2009 that i found last night but cant find it currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

Galway and Mayo yes, Cork no. Locally hearing that all around Iniscarra is flooded. If the dam has to be opened the city is goosed.
    I wouldnt like to be the one responsible for what happens at the dam tonight or tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,028 ✭✭✭Call me Al

The wind seems to be changing here in Achill. A bit more westerly now so I think we have gotten over the worst of it. Pulses of heavy rain on and off from here on though I think. Heavier than earlier but in comparison to most we've escaped the worst here.
    Desperately sad situations unfolding elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Due to travel from south kerry to west galway tomorrow! Dont think i could have picked 2 worse counties to contnded with, so hopefully by the time i wake in the morning the picture will be a little clearer, and better!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Malcolm600f

whats causing all the flooding in the past few years , there has been very wet periods in the past but nothing like recent flooding.. have we become our own worse enemy with building and creating flood plains and other issues that will cause more and more flooding..

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭teddybones

Ashford weather station reporting gust of 64 mph or 102 kph. House is rattling.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Duiske wrote: »
    I'm down town in Graig at the moment. Absolutely mental whats happening. The River Duiske runs along the back of those shops. To make matters even worse, the Barrow has now broken its banks and backing up the floodwaters from the Duiske.

Doesn't help you having the highest mountain in Kilkenny next to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

whats causing all the flooding in the past few years , there has been very wet periods in the past but nothing like recent flooding.. have we become our own worse enemy with building and creating flood plains and other issues that will cause more and more flooding..

Exceptional amount of rain lad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Colser wrote: »
    I wouldnt like to be the one responsible for what happens at the dam tonight or tomorrow.
    I would say it will have to be released almost immediately as they are at breaking point already.
    Red warnings and state of emergency is what's needed down here now.
    Rivers bursting their banks left right and centre

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement