Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

STORM FRANK, Tuesday 29th-Wednesday 30th. Heavy Rain, Flooding and strong winds.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Galway and Mayo yes, Cork no. Locally hearing that all around Iniscarra is flooded. If the dam has to be opened the city is goosed.

Probably will have to open to avoid a worse situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

This has to be as bad as 2009, rain is unbelievable and the gusts of wind are so loud!!

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭coconnellz

Not as bad as cork but their are a Lot of roads flooded in cavan

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭aisling86

leahyl wrote:
    Is that all??!!

I would definitely think it's more for my area in Macroom. I don't think we have an official station close by tho. It was rte reporter Jenny o Sullivan reported that info.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

i always say it in events like these but its coming up to five to midnight and theres a live met eireann update on radio 1 at 2355....sky 0160 will do the trick also

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

My electricity went about an hour ago for about 10 seconds, turned on my electric blanket for a warm bed in case it goes again.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

This is not just Frank related, but the ongoing events of the night are making me stop and think about what's going on around us, and I am talking from painful and expensive experience.

Reading all the comments here relating to the flooding that's happening all over the country, I wonder if at last this might get the attention of our wonderful politicians.

For me, there are a number of issues that need to be addressed and with a general election due to happen shortly, it would be nice if they'd consider looking very closely at some of the issues that are being highlighted by these events.

Household insurance is a nightmare for many people, and it will be a nightmare for even more as a result of the events of the last few weeks, the whole process of insuring houses has to be looked at in more detail, and the insurance industry has to be brought into line in terms of not being allowed to refuse to provide at least basic cover, and if that means that everyone has to carry a larger part of the load, then so be it.

The whole planning process has to be reviewed in very fine detail, and the developments of property on flood plains has to stop, permanently, and some estates that were put on flood plains may have to be looked at very closely going forward, and there may be a criminal case to answer if it transpires that brown envelopes were the means of getting planning permission on inappropriate lands.

In the same vein, some means has to be found to make the higher levels of organisations like the County Councils and other semi state bodies accountable for their actions, it's no longer acceptable that massive mistakes can be made on a regular basis and there are no consequences for the people that make those mistakes.

I don't have an answer about how we then compensate the people who's lives are regularly destroyed by flooding, but some way of dealing with these issues has to be found.

The whole flood risk assessment process has to be looked at in more detail, and speeded up, along with a lot more work to deal with the known issues that are causing some of the more regular floods in some locations.

It needs the electorate to put pressure on the politicians to make sure that they don't long finger these issues again, which has been the case on way too many occasions in the past. Too many people are having their lives blighted by flooding and the ongoing fear of a repeat event, and that's no longer an acceptable way for a modern state to operate.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭poconnor16

High tide is at 7am for Cork. Areas downstream of Iniscarra are badly flooded and impassible. County council are anticipating further problems. No mention of dam release rates and ESB site is all quiet. It's really bad that they are not providing updates, some very nervous homes in the Lee Valley tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Wind has really increased in strength in the last 45mins here in the north east, started to rain to :(, unbelievable some of the stories and pics from cork and kerry, ye have my sympathies

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Last 10 minutes have seen windspeeds in Fenit, Co. Kerry dro by around 10km/k to 40km/h. Still veering towards Westerly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

poconnor16 wrote: »
    High tide is at 7am for Cork. Areas downstream of Iniscarra are badly flooded and impassible. County council are anticipating further problems. No mention of dam release rates and ESB site is all quiet. It's really bad that they are not providing updates, some very nervous homes in the Lee Valley tonight

I'm living high up so luckily shouldn't be directly impacted but I have immediate family living in the Carrigrohane area and getting increasingly worried for them :(

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

That's doesn't look good, most of rainfall in the last few years this month, I'm trying to compare it to the graph on this page from Bandon 2009 but can't find a day by day breakdown, it looks like we're aiming for 2009 territory.
    http://www.bandonfloodwarning.ie/bandontown.htm just wondering how it compares if you can make sense of it...just hoping I won't have to don the wellies in the morning...

http://www.ogimet.com/cgi-bin/gsynres?lang=en&ind=03952&ndays=365&ano=2009&mes=12&day=31&hora=23&ord=REV&Send=Send

Roches point 03952 enter date and days here-
    http://www.ogimet.com/gsynres.phtml.en

• Registered Users Posts: 28,215 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Birtles wrote: »
    Nov 09 @ 245.3 mms - Dec 2015 up to last night 326 mms.

Rain fall was much worse heading back towards the Kerry border in 2009, esp around the days cork/bandon floods and this is the catchment area for Bandon and Lee rivers. There is a Met report showing local totals for 2009 that i found last night but cant find it currently.

Is it the one on this page http://www.bandonfloodwarning.ie/bandontown.htm
    Just wondering will the river hit 4mts at high tide with current rain fall

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

How are you fairning out tonight Irish Steve?

Hope Grace is alright too. I know she was safely tucked up at 400asl near Killarney, hopeing to hear from her with an update in the morning.

I'm about to hit the road guys and will report in around 4 hours.

Stay safe and fair play to all those who have kept the updates, pictures and videos coming in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

would ye say this is the worst storm we had all year ? storm desmond wasnt a patch on this !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Malcolm600f

pudzey101 wrote: »
    would ye say this is the worst storm we had all year ? storm desmond wasnt a patch on this !!

Worst wind i seen this year was in Aug in Donegal..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

27mm here so far today in Ardfert, rain has eased at the moment, heard the village got flooded this evening.

Calmer now avg 25 kph, earlier gusting to 85 kph.

Bar 989.1hPa Rising Slowly

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

Birtles wrote: »
    Nov 09 @ 245.3 mms - Dec 2015 up to last night 326 mms.

Rain fall was much worse heading back towards the Kerry border in 2009, esp around the days cork/bandon floods and this is the catchment area for Bandon and Lee rivers. There is a Met report showing local totals for 2009 that i found last night but cant find it currently.
    Might be in a monthly summary here?
    http://www.met.ie/climate/monthly-weather-reports.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

The rain should clear the east coast by around 7-9 am in the morning, so still a good few hours of rain yet to fall. Some places will probably see another 30-40mm before it's over. Then there is a lag as rivers collect rainwater coming down from mountains, streams etc. in the catchment area so remember that the river flooding won't peak until quite a bit after the rain stops in places

There will be a second band of rain pushing into the west tomorrow morning but it shouldn't be as widespread and it will clear in a couple of hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭fepper

Massive amounts of water dropped in north Kerry today and tonite and probably tomorrow as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

It's an accumulation of rain for the best part of the last month. Here in Cork it's the usual suspects but there are a few areas that are flooding that I've never heard of flooding before. High tide at 7 am will decide the city centers fate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

well we had a flood relief scheme put in place that cost close to 40m , and FRANK has gotten the better of it tonight :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

RobertKK wrote: »
    Doesn't help you having the highest mountain in Kilkenny next to you.

Its the sheer amount of rainfall we've had this past month. Ground totally saturated, and because we're in a valley, every drop that falls now is ending up in the stream that runs behind Main St.

This is were the water is getting into that building with the smashed out doors. The bottom of those 2 windows are about 7/8ft above the stream when its at its normal height. :eek:

back.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Storm 10

17.5mm rain recorded on my station since the rain arrived in the early morning and it's lashing in Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Duiske wrote: »
    Its the sheer amount of rainfall we've had this past month. Ground totally saturated, and because we're in a valley, every drop that falls now is ending up in the stream that runs behind Main St.

This is were the water is getting into that building with the smashed out doors. The bottom of those 2 windows are about 7/8ft above the stream when its at its normal height. :eek:

back.jpg
    Where was that photo taken?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭jimbis

Dublin seems to be getting away with this so far compared to all your other reports.
    Just like a normal wet windy night here in s/dublin.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Increase in winds on the SE / E coast over the next few hours

sZG4GD7.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,550 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Villain wrote: »
    Where was that photo taken?

graiguenamanagh id imagine?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement