Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

STORM FRANK, Tuesday 29th-Wednesday 30th. Heavy Rain, Flooding and strong winds.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Tactical wrote: »
    How are you fairning out tonight Irish Steve?

Hope Grace is alright too. I know she was safely tucked up at 400asl near Killarney, hopeing to hear from her with an update in the morning.

I'm about to hit the road guys and will report in around 4 hours.

Stay safe and fair play to all those who have kept the updates, pictures and videos coming in.

So far, for the south east of Meath, it's a non event, there's been some noise from the wind, but nothing out of the ordinary, and the rainfall has been almost non existant, which I'm putting down to the effect of the Wicklow hills drying out the air that's coming over here, and I don't mind admitting that it's a big relief, if we'd had the sort of rain that's hitting Cork and the South, I'd have pumps running flat out to keep the site clear of water, if last November's experience is anything to go by.

Having lived through it, (€120K damage in 2002), I can very much identify with the people down in the south that are looking at a nightmare clean up and repair operation, and the fear is that it will take a long time for them to recover, and in some cases, the harsh reality is that you don't recover, you adapt and find ways to cope with the new and very unpleasant reality, as there's nothing else you can do.

Thanks for the inquiry, it's places like this forum that help to relieve the crushing pressure and stress of these weather events, and at least here, we can find out what is going on, and what is happening on the ground, as the state broadcaster, and even other media services are not a lot of real help in this sort of situation.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Can you explain that in Lay Mans terms?

It is measuring sea-level pressure, which means the Frank has currently fallen to at least 939 hPa, probably lower, as the buoy is most likely not in the centre. This is a very low pressure anywhere on the planet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

Few short video clips here, Graignamanagh
    https://twitter.com/kclr96fm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Villain wrote: »
    Where was that photo taken?

Graignamanagh. Bridge close to the junction of High St/Main St.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

Actually does Cork City have a text message warning scheme in place for potential flooding or is it just a case of the Council and civil defence going door to door?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

The sustained winds for my location in Kilkenny have been the highest for this year at 48.6km/hr and as I posted earlier in the thread, I am mostly sheltered from the worst. Strongest gust has been 80.4km/hr in the past 20 minutes.
    Rainfall since it started is at 12mm, but we got a lot on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭falan

Getting a serious battering here in County Limerick. Wind and rain and loud bangs. Roof slates out on the road earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

The whole planning process has to be reviewed in very fine detail, and the developments of property on flood plains has to stop, permanently, and some estates that were put on flood plains may have to be looked at very closely going forward, and there may be a criminal case to answer if it transpires that brown envelopes were the means of getting planning permission on inappropriate lands.
    I know its off topic, but i am going to bite... There's also been massive reclamation/ land improvement in agriculture.
    I guess it does come back to oversight, but I know near me the conditions relating to the granting of land reclamation don't appear to have been enforced in terms of depth of fill, treatment of the (usually boggy) base layers, compaction of the fill etc - that all leads to faster run off. It's not just fields that are now paved/ tarmaced/ built on that are causing the faster run off and contributing to more flooding. Additionally, more and more ditches and streams have been piped.

Everything has been about improving the land and increasing stocking rates. Very little about the knock ons, just as much as housing developments.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Apparently Portlaw in Waterford is flooding badly and the bridge there from 1770 has partially collapsed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭weadick

Even the rte website is very slack. It hasn't been updated at all in the last few hours. You are really totally relying on the likes of boards and fb for updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Xenji wrote: »
    If the same weather that is hitting Cork now and for most of the day was happening in Dublin they would be all over it with special reports every 5 minutes.

After the last few storms they always seemed to forget about what is west of the Shannon after the damage had been done.

RTE, like most state or semi state companies, are only really concerned with anything that occurs within the greater Dublin region. This is the price we pay we must pay for living in a small, backward centralized state system that is the laughing stock of the western world.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Graignamanagh was on Sky news in the first 6 minutes of their news. Hard to believe how bad it is down there. Frightening stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Lissavane

This is not just Frank related, but the ongoing events of the night are making me stop and think about what's going on around us, and I am talking from painful and expensive experience.

Reading all the comments here relating to the flooding that's happening all over the country, I wonder if at last this might get the attention of our wonderful politicians.

For me, there are a number of issues that need to be addressed and with a general election due to happen shortly, it would be nice if they'd consider looking very closely at some of the issues that are being highlighted by these events.

Household insurance is a nightmare for many people, and it will be a nightmare for even more as a result of the events of the last few weeks, the whole process of insuring houses has to be looked at in more detail, and the insurance industry has to be brought into line in terms of not being allowed to refuse to provide at least basic cover, and if that means that everyone has to carry a larger part of the load, then so be it.

The whole planning process has to be reviewed in very fine detail, and the developments of property on flood plains has to stop, permanently, and some estates that were put on flood plains may have to be looked at very closely going forward, and there may be a criminal case to answer if it transpires that brown envelopes were the means of getting planning permission on inappropriate lands.

In the same vein, some means has to be found to make the higher levels of organisations like the County Councils and other semi state bodies accountable for their actions, it's no longer acceptable that massive mistakes can be made on a regular basis and there are no consequences for the people that make those mistakes.

I don't have an answer about how we then compensate the people who's lives are regularly destroyed by flooding, but some way of dealing with these issues has to be found.

The whole flood risk assessment process has to be looked at in more detail, and speeded up, along with a lot more work to deal with the known issues that are causing some of the more regular floods in some locations.

It needs the electorate to put pressure on the politicians to make sure that they don't long finger these issues again, which has been the case on way too many occasions in the past. Too many people are having their lives blighted by flooding and the ongoing fear of a repeat event, and that's no longer an acceptable way for a modern state to operate.

The Office of Public Works seems to have effectively closed down until next Monday. Bizarre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Few short video clips here, Graignamanagh
    https://twitter.com/kclr96fm

The Kilkenny Teresa Mannion.

I think there should be one thread for general discussion of these storms - a winter storm superthread - and another one for technical discussion, forecasts, observations, etc., as it is difficult to find information with the amount of side debates that are taking place. These are valid debates, don't get me wrong, I just think they should have their own thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Nothing out of the ordinary here in Dublin so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I tweeted RTE news and suggested they report a bit more on Frankie because half the country is feeling the effects. They're all in their leabas though obv

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭KathleenF

In bed but glued to weather forum and sleep looks unlikely for the next while. It's like a disaster movie unfolding except it's real for so many people and places. Am in Killarney and had plans to travel home to West Cork tomorrow but have cancelled as it's not strictly necessary and I'd prefer to stay with my grandmother with weather as it is. Very wet here on outskirts of town where we are but in no real danger of any flooding thus far. Drove from Ballyvourney to Killarney earlier and roads were starting to gather surface water and conditions were deteriorating. And that was at 2pm. Wouldn't even attempt same journey now. Stay safe out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

weadick wrote: »
    Even the rte website is very slack. It hasn't been updated at all in the last few hours. You are really totally relying on the likes of boards and fb for updates.

Public service broadcasting at it's finest,nice to know our €160 p/a is being well spent:rolleyes:
    These types of threads are becoming invaluable for info on bad weather and localised hazards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Duiske wrote: »
    Graignamanagh. Bridge close to the junction of High St/Main St.

In Graignamanagh , it does not seem to be the River Barrow that is causing the floods .

Theres a small river running parallel to the main street behind the shops , and this is where the water is coming from , flowing down the main street towards the River Barrow .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

The Kilkenny Teresa Mannion.

.....as a field full of tents.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,538 ✭✭✭brevity

https://twitter.com/corkflood/status/681993335461003264

In Glanmire myself and its pretty bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,023 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I thought I posted it but maybe I didn't. Cork airport is reporting gusts of 151kph and flights are being diverted.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

In Graignamanagh , it does not seem to be the River Barrow that is causing the floods .

Theres a small river running parallel to the main street behind the shops , and this is where the water is coming from , flowing down the main street towards the River Barrow .

That's right. The Barrow is also rising rapidly there now too though.

https://waterlevel.ie/0000014029/0001/

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Wind picking up here in Co.Wexford.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I thought I posted it but maybe I didn't. Cork airport is reporting gusts of 151kph and flights are being diverted.

No it's not. Latest gust is 45 knots, gust at midnight was 50 knots (83 and 94 kph, respectively). 94 kph equaled the highest gust reported there so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭aisling86

You would think someone flicked a switch & turned frankie off in macroom. It's gone very quiet the last 20mins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭yllw.ldbttr

I can't see if I've lost any roof slates and my real worry was the rain but looks like we've sustained some wind damage as we've water pissing down the internal side of the gable end wall into our kitchen. Can't see anything upstairs so no clue how it's coming in.

Sigh...

Watergrasshill, Cork.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement