Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

STORM FRANK, Tuesday 29th-Wednesday 30th. Heavy Rain, Flooding and strong winds.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

zerks wrote: »
    Wind picking up here in Co.Wexford.

Aye,a few 60mph+ gusts near Arklow
    Quite loud
    I've had powercuts with less, yet the powers still on
    Heaviest rain still to come up this way too in the next 7 or 8 hrs

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Daz_

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    RTE, like most state or semi state companies, are only really concerned with anything that occurs within the greater Dublin region. This is the price we pay we must pay for living in a small, backward centralized state system that is the laughing stock of the western world.

Interesting , I'd love to see this evidence supporting the claim we are the laughing stock of the Western world?! Where is it? Highly dramatic indeed.
    Back on topic in south Kildare winds have got really strong , almost violent I'd say and heavy rain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

There has been no let up in the wind and rain in Cork city the last few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭smodgley

zerks wrote: »
    Wind picking up here in Co.Wexford.

It sure is Im South of New ross ,where abouts are you

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭paulusdu

Just drove from Castlebar to Galway, wipers were next to useless at times. The scariest thing was drivers too close to the car in front and crazy speeds in those conditions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭John mac

aisling86 wrote: »
    You would think someone flicked a switch & turned frankie off in macroom. It's gone very quiet the last 20mins.

not as noisy but still raining.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

RTE, like most state or semi state companies, are only really concerned with anything that occurs within the greater Dublin region. This is the price we pay we must pay for living in a small, backward centralized state system that is the laughing stock of the western world.
    The TV news earlier did a fair amount on Frank, with no focus on the East coast (given Wicklow has been flagged as in the orange warning from early on). They were live in Galway and had reports from the Midlands. Not sure either qualify as greater Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

This has to be a record low?

buoy%2064560_zps2suxtd9m.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭CinderKone

Quientened down a bit here in Tralee at last. Been blowing since 2pm.

No it's not. Latest gust is 45 knots, gust at midnight was 50 knots (83 and 94 kph, respectively). 94 kph equaled the highest gust reported there so far.

Aye,those reports of 150kmph+ at ork are probably coming from planes approaching at 2000ft up or higher
    They would be telling Atc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

smodgley wrote: »
    It sure is Im South of New ross ,where abouts are you

Enniscorthy.Flooding in the morning here will be the main worry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭B17G

It's a real tiny system, but nasty.. Wouldn't be too certain on its track either

18Z Euro 4 doesn't want to develop it to the same extent.

15123009_2_2918.gif
    15123012_2_2918.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭MyStubbleItches

Just home from dinner at a friend's. Had to turn back a few times and try different roads but got here eventually. Bad flooding on Bantry line after Béal Na Bláth and heavy rain with strong wind. Just went strangely calm in the last few minutes. Weird.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Projected rain totals from 22.00 Tues to 10.00 Weds.

KZ2J4zD.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Houses in midleton county cork being evacuated right now.
    Can someone please explain why met eireann refuse to go red!!
    As I type the rain continues to pour!!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Macy0161 wrote: »
    I know its off topic, but i am going to bite... There's also been massive reclamation/ land improvement in agriculture.
    I guess it does come back to oversight, but I know near me the conditions relating to the granting of land reclamation don't appear to have been enforced in terms of depth of fill, treatment of the (usually boggy) base layers, compaction of the fill etc - that all leads to faster run off. It's not just fields that are now paved/ tarmaced/ built on that are causing the faster run off and contributing to more flooding. Additionally, more and more ditches and streams have been piped.

Everything has been about improving the land and increasing stocking rates. Very little about the knock ons, just as much as housing developments.

That's not biting, it's just presenting the reality of the other side of a very bent and defaced coin that has become the norm for too much of the way things are done in this wonderful new Ireland that we now have to live in.

Some of our problems here have been identified as being caused by extra run off from land that were "improved" 25 years or more ago, and the direction of the water run off was changed, pushing more at us, through an urban area, whereas it used to go in a rural river that bothered no one. Took over 10 years to find out, and only then as a result of a more serious flood event in November 2014.

We're seeing tonight the reality of the way in which corners have been cut or massaged by "the system", in ways that are now causing huge problems for thousands of people in all areas of the country. This level of storm is exceptional, but not out of the range of weather than can be expected in this part of the world, and we don't see records telling of disruption on the scale we're seeing now from previous centuries.

That means that if the rivers and the like can't cope with it, some of the reasons for those problems have been man made, and most of them have been made in the last 25 years, so we must look very closely at how that was allowed to happen, and put in place controls that will make very sure that the same sorts of mistakes are not repeated.

As for undoing some of the damage that we've inflicted on people, that's going to be a very much more complex and difficult issue to deal with.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

RTE cover all the big cities (Ireland just happens to have one :) ), just like any news network in the world.

Western world, thought we went past that stage. Developed, developing and under developed, we are the laughing stock because of poor news coverage of a tv station in the age of social media and instant communication, an area were per capitia we excel all other countries. Laugh away western world... Whom ever you at be now

Chip on the shoulder with Dublin me thinks :)
    See you in Croke Park

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭KathleenF

Bandon Flooding Early Warning System just went to Red Alert (Severe Flooding)

Macy0161 wrote: »
    The TV news earlier did a fair amount on Frank, with no focus on the East coast (given Wicklow has been flagged as in the orange warning from early on). They were live in Galway and had reports from the Midlands. Not sure either qualify as greater Dublin.

Aye and to be fair,a lot of live stuff from Athlone in the past few weeks
    They simply do nothave the resources to be everywhere
    Also theres a good chance most people are in bed asleep now, we're not big enough to justify live broadcasts at one am on a week night

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

Houses in midleton county cork being evacuated right now.
    Can someone please explain why met eireann refuse to go red!!
    As I type the rain continues to pour!!

This is the river around 100m down from where those houses flooded.

View My Video

For perspective this 'river' is usually not more than 3-4 feet deep

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Nabber wrote: »

Chip on the shoulder with Dublin me thinks :)
    See you in Croke Park

Ah, the predictable response, turning the argument around to the usual pointless angle. :rolleyes:

No, just presenting the reality of the situation. How is this seen as an attack on Dublin? Methinks it is you that has the chip.
    Nabber wrote: »
    Western world, thought we went past that stage. Developed, developing and under developed, we are the laughing stock because of poor news coverage of a tv station in the age of social media and instant communication

Only someone who us totally unaware of how peripheral we are could come out with such inflated nonsense.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Off to the leaba for me to listen to the wind howling,I'll take a spin around in the morning and post any info from the not so sunny South East.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭B17G

Frank up near Iceland. Must be hellish up there.

373063.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Some of the speeds of aircraft crossing the Atlantic eastbound are incredible

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

That's right. The Barrow is also rising rapidly there now too though.

https://waterlevel.ie/0000014029/0001/

The Barrow has broken its banks already. The floodwaters coming down Main St are now running into this....

aaaaaa.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Ogie84

No let up here in Whites Cross, Cork. So much rain over the past month, land was beyond saturation point well before today's deluge :(

Hoping there isn't much wind damage overnight to the house

• Registered Users Posts: 36,152 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

MidMan25 wrote: »
    This is the river around 100m down from where those houses flooded.

View My Video

For perspective this 'river' is usually not more than 3-4 feet deep

Is that a bridge.
    I'd stay off that to be honest.
    That is a real test of it's capabilities .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

B17G wrote: »
    Frank up near Iceland. Must be hellish up there.

373063.jpg

151229_1800_6.png

Observations here (click area for more stations)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭KathleenF

60 pages of a Storm Frank thread. Tells its own story. Wow.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement