Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

STORM FRANK, Tuesday 29th-Wednesday 30th. Heavy Rain, Flooding and strong winds.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

River flowing over the wall in Portlaw.

https://twitter.com/topdogmack/status/681999369617281024

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭squarecircles

The system approaching iceland

https://www.windyty.com/?59.823,-15.381,5

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Power went 5 minutes ago, off to my warm bed...

Edit, looks like water may have caused a trip switch to turn everything off, not so bad...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

Picture of Midleton Cork earlier, taken from the Cork flood alerts page. That bungalow on the right must be built lower into the ground as the water is up to the start of the roof!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭La.de.da

Parts of Carrick on suir are destroyed.
    Flood walls barely holding back in some cases not at all.

Roads in and out of the town very bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭robclay26

Picture of Midleton Cork earlier, taken from the Cork flood alerts page.

Mother of fu€k! Some depth there.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Peak gusts SE / E overnight

lbs3RZn.gif

q9PMV35.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

robclay26 wrote: »
    Mother of fu€k! Some depth there.

The train is suppose to get through there somehow too :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭yllw.ldbttr

Ogie84 wrote: »
    No let up here in Whites Cross, Cork. So much rain over the past month, land was beyond saturation point well before today's deluge :(

Hoping there isn't much wind damage overnight to the house

Agreed, it's a nightmare. Nowhere for all the water to drain away.

Too late for some of us re roof damage. Although I think we're a food bit higher than you here in watergrasshill.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Picture of Midleton Cork earlier, taken from the Cork flood alerts page. That bungalow on the right must be built lower into the ground as the water is up to the start of the roof!!

for reference

https://www.google.ie/maps/@51.9212555,-8.1786972,3a,66.8y,16.47h,83.69t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1s26l5072r9yG9OT-NybWnbg!2e0?hl=en

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭poconnor16

Everything gone eeerily quiet in Blarney, Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I get the sense too many people have gone to bed not realising the worst of the rainfall hadn't even started and may be woken by flood waters in the morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭touts

Lissavane wrote: »
    The Office of Public Works seems to have effectively closed down until next Monday. Bizarre.

Fortunately there is an election in a couple of months. I'd say Enda Kenny is personally bollicking every senior OPW and Local Authority official he can get hold of tonight. This sort of weather event was what he feared most when contemplating a November election. Tomorrow it'll all hands on deck from the state. They dont really care about the natural disaster but there'll be no expense spared to avoid a PR disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

I'm guessing the road was raised above the house's level at some point, because you'd have to imagine you'd be mental to *lower* your house when you're near a river!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

Been fairly quiet down here in Glenbeigh, Kerry for the past half hour. I'm down here to do some kayaking for the new year, and we're quite worried about the river levels tomorrow.

Stay safe people.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,023 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

The train is suppose to get through there somehow too :eek:

I'd say the drivers from cork that work the Middleton and Cobh lines might need to bring extra tea bags in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,023 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

My brother just arrived in the door and he said it's a mess out there. We live high on the northside and he said there is surface water on the roads up near us.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Graignamanagh. You can see the water level inside against the window.

hughes.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Gust of 87.0 km/h 1:09am here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

The second low is now entering the Harmonie domain. Latest synopsis at 0100, with Harmonie pressure field.

WEB_Analysis.png?0113

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭KathleenF

Another text from Bandon FEWS

'Bandon FEWS: Please be advised that it is highly likely that the advance warning period will be less on the previous flood event on the 5th of Dec.'

River is rising fast - now at 2.23m.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Iceland not as extreme as you might imagine, southeast coasts generally reporting winds of about 70 km/hr gusting to 120 km/hr.

http://en.vedur.is/weather/observations/areas/

Despite the ever-decreasing central pressure of Frank, the gradient is not overly extreme ahead of it.

The much discussed secondary low is still more or less absent in terms of any increase in wind speeds, will keep watching but it has very little time left to organize and may be fighting the general rising pressure field so that its energy is just dissipated in maintaining its central pressure. The heavier rain should end along the west coast around 0600h or a bit sooner, Cork about 0800h and southeast about 1000h.

On the subject of flooding and the warning levels, the problem may be that there are defined criteria for rainfall warnings but the severity of flooding would be in part due to earlier rainfalls and state of water tables going into the event. I had the feeling from reading this and other discussion threads before Frank really got going that people generally knew that a serious flood risk was developing, so I'm not sure if the colour coding on the rainfall forecast was really an issue or at least the issue, no doubt this event is going to prompt some discussions of flood warnings but I'm not in a position to say whether they were good, not so good or whatever. The current radar and hourly reports suggest that Ulster may be seeing some problems developing later in the overnight or morning hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

Squall line just passed over Derry about 10 minutes ago. You can see it building strength as it cross Northern Ireland. Serious flash flooding no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

It seems that this secondary low may be having an impact to an extent on the rainfall coverage area. Models had the heaviest pulses of rain further east but there seems to minor wave disturbances running along the main cold front tonight that is keeping the main band of rain pulled a bit further west than what they were showing. Should eventually push eastwards later on tonight though.

New Moon

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Wind beginning to massively pick up here in Dublin 10. Nearly lost my steel shed door in a guat earlier when I was out the back. Looks like it may just be the hinges. I've battened down everything else with plenty of gaffer tape and wedged my wheelie bins between the front of my car and the bike shed. Hopefully its enough to stop anything major flying!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Buoy 64560 now 932.9 hPa at 0100.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭B17G

Observations here (click area for more stations)

Cheers. Noticed their warning too. Forecasting winds of 25 to 33 m/s for later in the night in E Iceland, especially near coast. 33 m/s = 74mph = Force 12. Surf will be up!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,152 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Shows just how much rain is falling.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

The second low is now entering the Harmonie domain. Latest synopsis at 0100, with Harmonie pressure field.

WEB_Analysis.png?0113

A lot of spherics showing up in that general area, could this tell us that there is a lot of energy brewing in the disturbed atmosphere behind the coldfront leading to perhaps stronger winds / squalls / thunderstorms in by early morning ?

j25Xxgx.gif

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement