Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

STORM FRANK, Tuesday 29th-Wednesday 30th. Heavy Rain, Flooding and strong winds.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭HarshOstrich

Powers out in my area in north county dublin

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Powers out in my area in north county dublin

Fault of 3,080 customers, restore time is 4:15. With that many out it shouldn't take too long

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭tiegan

Wind dropped suddenly here in Clonmel. Still raining though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Uneventful journey across the country to West Limerick.

Motorway and main roads were fine as expected. "R" & "L" roads in West Limerick have a lot of surface water and minor flooding. Some small amounts of debris noted too.

Wind on the journey was fine with the typical crosswinds experienced on the M7.

Still raining moderately heavy with light enough winds.

Hitting the hay here as its been a long day. G'nite to all and thanks for the company :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

South Kerry mountains 400 asl. Waking to the scenes on breaking news of the overnight devastation. Here, all roads out are at best dangerous, and in some cases closed by floods. See https://twitter.com/countykerry?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor The cluster around Killarney is where i was yesterday as it hit. Strangely the Moll's Gap road though is still cealr, but they went off duty and heavy solid rain since then and now. Can barely hear the wind for the rain. The photos on b reaking news would break the heart http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/the-eye-of-the-storm-flooding-pictures-and-videos-713432.html and that was yesterday before the night of rain. 20 members of Kerry Mountain Rescue were called to the aid of a single man climbing Carrantouil.. Just got the full map up and Kenmare is again flooded...http://kerry.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=46bf3b143c914a42aeab5dc21740e3bc Hope all there are safe and dry...

• Advertisement

Tactical wrote: »
    You live in one of the most senic parts of the country, its a teriffic place in the good weather and even more amazing in proper bad weather.

Delighted to hear your reports and descriptions. I've often stopped for a break on the road between Molls Gap and Killarney, you can really clear your head there.

Fair play to the Park Ranger and fair play to you too for stopping to see if help was required. I've seen so many people just pass by traffic accidents where injuries have been evident and assistance needed. Well done.

Its amazing how people will still head out inappropriately even with the press coverage of the impending weather. The National Park is a large area with some difficult terrain that makes search operations more difficult (when are they ever easy anyways?)

I look forward to any updates on the way things develop at your location. Sit back and enjoy the show that nature is providing :)

I'm at 120mtrs asl (approx 390 feet), South facing and only have a little shelter to the North. I get battered by everything nature throws. Looking forward to this one developing :)

I'll be out in it later and will provide reports as I can.

For this, thanks.. Yes the beauty here feeds my soul. When I leave the bustle of Killarney and enter the Park I can feel the stress falling away.... I am blessed now to have friends on the staff of various parts of the National Park and Muckross. Love it especially in winter when there are no tour buses although love too my markets in summer with all the visitors enthusing. The rangers do an amazing and often unseen job. I hope whoever dumped that wreck gets fined. But as someone I spoke to said, up there you could easily come off the road at night and not be missed for a long while. My " alert" system will only kick in after I have not made contact for three days. Still heavy hard rain and the kerry coc team went to bed for a few hours, bless them. Wonderful to see the army working. Would have loved yesterday to see Torc but had to get home fast! I was there in the last deluge and totally awesome.. Where exactly are you? One small thing I was glad of. The drive is slightly sloped here and grassy earth and getting up has been dodgy so U have been putting the cinders and the sand from the cat trays down and the car flew up it like a bird yesterday...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭secman

Still blowing and gusting hard in North wexford. ... no let up since it started... bloody keeping me awake ... sounds a lot worse in a dormer.. should have slept downstairs! Definitely have a loose slate up there. ... flaps now and again.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭ThaitaniumM

Bucketing down in Limerick City. It's been moderate to heavy since 1am. I fear for the Shannon river with all this rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,211 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Heavy rain just outside Limerick city also. I would be concerned about banks of the mulcair and around castleconnell.

Daylight will bring scenes of many rivers overflowed. Cannot imagine what people are going through out there. Looking at the closures map for here ...http://kerry.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=46bf3b143c914a42aeab5dc21740e3bc Driving home yesterday I had the impression of fleeing before the face of the storm and that was totally accurate...every road I used is dangerous or closed. My landlord as well as farming works for the council on the roads etc and will be out there today.. impressed with the foresight and work going on . They have learned much this winter and still more to come

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Bandon River now at 2.7m and rising.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

marno21 wrote: »
    Bandon River now at 2.7m and rising.

Not looking good. Rising quickly towards the severe flooding level while rain is still falling over the catchment area.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Birtles

Not looking good. Rising quickly towards the severe flooding level while rain is still falling over the catchment area.

add in the affect of high tide also @ 8.15am

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

im afraid to look out, as i reckon the house is sitting in the middle of a pond, the rain was crazy for most of the night, and continues to be now.

Birtles wrote: »
    add in the affect of high tide also @ 8.15am

It rose by 0.05m there in the space of 15 minutes, = 0.2m. Add to that continued rainfall and high tide and it's not looking positive

im afraid to look out, as i reckon the house is sitting in the middle of a pond, the rain was crazy for most of the night, and continues to be now.

Wait until it gets light; always looks worse in the dark and nothing you can do. Make tea or coffee and wait.....Off for coffee here .. thankfully safe well above the river. It got half way up the field last month then gave up.

The secondary low is approaching the southwest coast. Notice the hook feature. The area of strong winds will be in a small zone close to the tip of that. Remains to be seen how strong the gusts from it will be. Could be up to around 130-140 km/h. There is no Met Eireann reporting station in the vicinity of where the strongest winds will likely be though.

http://en.sat24.com/en/gb/infraPolair
    Shannon

Gale warnings - Issued: 0330 UTC on Wednesday 30 December 2015

Southwesterly storm force 10 veering westerly and increasing violent storm force 11 imminent

There's a live stream of the River Bandon here in case anyone is interested
    http://trib.al/ULgswyc
    Level was 2.78m @ 05:00. Severe flooding level is 3.15m

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭poconnor16

Bucketing down in Cork (Blarney) but wind has calmed

Looks like there will be flooding in Cork city later. Notice how early it started rising well before reaching the normal low tide level.

dnn_ctr1221_Chart_WebChart1766112111635870541649040462png.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Good Jesus, we have never had flooding as bad as this here, i have no lawns, no driveway, wont be able to get the car out and its still lashing down, this is gonna be a long long day :(

• Registered Users Posts: 28,215 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

marno21 wrote: »
    There's a live stream of the River Bandon here in case anyone is interested
    http://trib.al/ULgswyc
    Level was 2.78m @ 05:00. Severe flooding level is 3.15m

It doesn't necessarily flood at 3.15m, it went above it a few weeks ago and it didn't flood. If it reaches 4mtrs that's a disaster, it's possible.

Link to live cam, there's a few feet there to go http://www.farsondigitalwatercams.com/locations/bandon

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

2ykdeh1.png

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

The secondary low is looking significantly stronger on the latest EURO4 compared to the previous run.

15123009_2_2918.gif
    15123009_2_3000.gif

This is showing violet storm force winds along the coast in 3 hours time. If that is correct, it is well into red warning territory, though the area affected would be relativity small and the winds would pass through quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

It was like waking up in a car wash half an hour ago

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Birtles

It doesn't necessarily flood at 3.15m, it went above it a few weeks ago and it didn't flood. If it reaches 4mtrs that's a disaster, it's possible.

Link to live cam, there's a few feet there to go http://www.farsondigitalwatercams.com/locations/bandon

pretty sure it was flooded on the 06th Dec, peaked at just under 3.4m. flooded shops up as far as pedestrian crossing.

if it keeps rising at current rate for 2 hrs it will be at 3.3m to 3.4m @ high tide.

let hope the winds off south coast don't give us a higher tide.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,211 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Wind rising again in Limerick but has stopped raing for the last 15 minutes,hopefully the rain will stay away

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

500 ASL SW Kerry.

Winds really picked up in the last 30 mins, big gusts now.

SB

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

I notice that the wind at buoy K2 southwest of Valentia showed a 7 mb pressure fall at 05z followed by a rise at 06z and winds veered rapidly from SSW to WNW holding in the mid-30 knot range. This suggests to me that the secondary low is still struggling to create a strong wind field of its own and if it moves up the west coast this may further weaken it. I agree that there could be a very small area of strong winds hitting the Kerry and Clare coasts this morning, peak gusts could hit 55 kts and the areas that we might seek observations would run from about Dingle, Tralee to Lahinch (0730 to 0830 might be the timing). We may see effects from it at Valentia on 07 and/or 08z obs.

After that interval, this feature is likely to be further absorbed and it may rapidly disappear as a separate entity when it tries to move across Connemara around 09h.

This is a rather odd situation, to have a slight potential for a level 2 or even 3 wind event over a very small area that won't have even minor effects on 95% of the land area and over 99% of the population. Still, if you live around Hook Head, be on the lookout for this around 0800h.

Another point I would like to stress after working on the forecast is that the next seven to ten days will continue very wet in the south and even the rather limited GFS model recognizes the potential for 100-150 mm rainfalls between the 1st and the 7th with the 4th of January looking particularly wet. So this flooding problem is by no means at its peak necessarily.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

I notice that the wind at buoy K2 southwest of Valentia showed a 7 mb pressure fall at 05z followed by a rise at 06z and winds veered rapidly from SSW to WNW holding in the mid-30 knot range. This suggests to me that the secondary low is still struggling to create a strong wind field of its own and if it moves up the west coast this may further weaken it. I agree that there could be a very small area of strong winds hitting the Kerry and Clare coasts this morning, peak gusts could hit 55 kts and the areas that we might seek observations would run from about Dingle, Tralee to Lahinch (0730 to 0830 might be the timing). We may see effects from it at Valentia on 07 and/or 08z obs.

After that interval, this feature is likely to be further absorbed and it may rapidly disappear as a separate entity when it tries to move across Connemara around 09h.

This is a rather odd situation, to have a slight potential for a level 2 or even 3 wind event over a very small area that won't have even minor effects on 95% of the land area and over 99% of the population. Still, if you live around Hook Head, be on the lookout for this around 0800h.

Another point I would like to stress after working on the forecast is that the next seven to ten days will continue very wet in the south and even the rather limited GFS model recognizes the potential for 100-150 mm rainfalls between the 1st and the 7th with the 4th of January looking particularly wet. So this flooding problem is by no means at its peak necessarily.

I am north of sneem in the mountains, 500 asl. At about 6:00am the wind picked up with some big gusts. Now at 7:00 the wind is steady, not gusting as much.

SB

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement