Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

STORM FRANK, Tuesday 29th-Wednesday 30th. Heavy Rain, Flooding and strong winds.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭mucksavage1985

Winds picking up big time in portarlington! River barrow flooding in the town also!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Bandon :

ZAm13CV.gif

Cork city. Major flooding happens around the 5.2m mark on this gauge I believe. Looks like it will blow past that?

FXfnrEO.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

After the lull gusts now picking up again SW Kerry 500asl.

SB

The Slaney :

http://waterlevel.ie/0000012002/0001/

Sherkin Island is 1 knot below Force 10 at 7am.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭Coles

Any reports from Enniscorthy? Not looking good from those gauges.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Wind has risen again the last half hour. Screaming out there. Pause in the rain. Kerry coco has this on twitter.............. New Wind Warning : Code Level ORANGE

S winds veering W, speeds 65-80 km/h; gusts 100-120 km/h.

Valid 06:00 until 11:00am today (Wed 30)
    Map will be updated when it gets light...http://kerry.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=46bf3b143c914a42aeab5dc21740e3bc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

Graces7 wrote: »
    Wind has risen again the last half hour. Screaming out there. Pause in the rain. Kerry coco has this on twitter.............. New Wind Warning : Code Level ORANGE

S winds veering W, speeds 65-80 km/h; gusts 100-120 km/h.

Valid 06:00 until 11:00am today (Wed 30)
    Map will be updated when it gets light...http://kerry.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=46bf3b143c914a42aeab5dc21740e3bc

Seeing the same thing here, more gusty in nature than last night, might venture out shortly to check drains etc. SW Kerry 500 asl.

SB

Coles wrote: »
    Any reports from Enniscorthy? Not looking good from those gauges.

CXdJXnPW8AEJ-Uk.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭goodies

Waiting in Fenit, Kerry here for this sting. Unpleasant enough conditions wind increased but no rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Did bandon flood?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Did bandon flood?

I saw an report a few mins ago that water was rising in the streets.

https://twitter.com/jp_cork/status/682098234047737856

goodies wrote: »
    Waiting in Fenit, Kerry here for this sting. Unpleasant enough conditions wind increased but no rain.

Report of a telephone pole down between Fenit and Tralee... Heavy rain again here in the gale.. Not venturing to the door yet.. dog has taken refuge in the sheltered shed and is fine there... not seen the outdoor cat yet but he tends to take refuge in storms.. Lights flickering so either thunder or the threat of a power cut.. South Kerry 400 asl

PPVA89.gif?31415

Wish I were young and strong and could be out with the Civil Defence. They were appealing for more volunteers after Desmond... Sheesh; this is the worst it has been, this gale. Terrible gusts that affect the ears with the sudden pressure changes. South Kerry 400 asl.. A good summing up here http://alerts.kerrycoco.ie/wordpress/?p=165

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭Coles

Did bandon flood?
    From the OPW gauges it looks like there's about a 12 hour gap between the Bandon flood peaks at Ardcahan Bridge compared to Curranure. Ardcahan Bridge peaked at 2am, which suggests that Curranure won't peak until 2pm.

Curranure is probably 1-1.5 hours downstream of Bandon town so that would suggest the peak flooding in Bandon will be at around midday.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Extremely gusty in Cork City now, I feel like I've been asleep for all of 5 minutes!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,858 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Awake for over an hour now just listening to the wind howling. This is as bad as it's ever been. I'm on high ground so no flood risk here. Some people will be waking up to complete devastation this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Bazzy

Gusts have died down in ardrahan south galway still a fair bit of rain falling

• Registered Users Posts: 40,023 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

It's been gusty in cork since I woke up. It's got very strong in the last few minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭IT-Guy

Haven't read through all the thread, just the last 4 or 5 pages so not sure if somebody posted this already. Check out Cork Flood Alerts on FB for updates and videos: https://www.facebook.com/corkfloodalerts/

I drove from Rathcormac, Co.Cork to Adare, Co. Limerick and back earlier tonight, my route took me through Mitchelstown, Kildorrery, Kilmallock and Bruree to the N20 at Rourkes Cross. Plenty of partly flooded roads and some very strong gusts of wind, especially on the motorway to Mitchelstown. It was a bit quieter on the way back but still loads of rain and more partly flooded roads, definitely not a night for unnecessary journeys! :P

The wind is howling around the house and down the chimney here in Rathcormac, the dog is snoozing on the couch and barking occasionally at the wind. No rain at the moment though I'd say that isn't far away!

And on a completely different topic, my brother in Canada messaged us earlier saying they had a small earthquake. It's been an eventful night!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭sumtings

I notice that the wind at buoy K2 southwest of Valentia showed a 7 mb pressure fall at 05z followed by a rise at 06z and winds veered rapidly from SSW to WNW holding in the mid-30 knot range. This suggests to me that the secondary low is still struggling to create a strong wind field of its own and if it moves up the west coast this may further weaken it. I agree that there could be a very small area of strong winds hitting the Kerry and Clare coasts this morning, peak gusts could hit 55 kts and the areas that we might seek observations would run from about Dingle, Tralee to Lahinch (0730 to 0830 might be the timing). We may see effects from it at Valentia on 07 and/or 08z obs.

After that interval, this feature is likely to be further absorbed and it may rapidly disappear as a separate entity when it tries to move across Connemara around 09h.

This is a rather odd situation, to have a slight potential for a level 2 or even 3 wind event over a very small area that won't have even minor effects on 95% of the land area and over 99% of the population. Still, if you live around Hook Head, be on the lookout for this around 0800h.

Another point I would like to stress after working on the forecast is that the next seven to ten days will continue very wet in the south and even the rather limited GFS model recognizes the potential for 100-150 mm rainfalls between the 1st and the 7th with the 4th of January looking particularly wet. So this flooding problem is by no means at its peak necessarily.

Thanks, watching this one carefully, could it be Loop Head you meant?

125 km/h gust at Sherkin. I'd expect gusts over 130 km/h on the Kerry/Clare coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,550 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

IT-Guy wrote:
    And on a completely different topic, my brother in Canada messaged us earlier saying they had a small earthquake. It's been an eventful night!

Mag 5 Victoria. Sister also felt it in Vancouver

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Henwin

North Kerry here and its ok at the moment. No extreme gusts yet

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Live about 25km west of Cork city, and had to drive in at 6am this morning. Roads flooded in parts where I've barely seen anything more than a puddle in 10+ years.

I was meant to head to Kenmare later today, and stay down to New Years, but reading the updates, it seems that might not be possible, let alone recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭opus

See the water level by the Mercy Hospital in Cork city has gone over 5m which normally means bad news for the city centre.

2efm3wk.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

Very windy now in East Limerick near Tipperary border. Sounds a lot stronger than it was at 1am. Waiting for the light to see if there's damage. Lots of branches down and surface water last night. Stay safe out there everyone. Very grateful to Boards and the weather forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Is there anywhere good to be following this event (Photos live updates etc?) I know boards is a great place, but I'm finding the likes of RTE very poor.

Someone posted a twitter feed earlier but i can't find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Speak Now

43.2mm of rainfall in waterford city.

• Advertisement

Arches of Bandon bridge almost totally underwater and still rising.

http://www.farsondigitalwatercams.com/locations/bandon

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement