Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

STORM FRANK, Tuesday 29th-Wednesday 30th. Heavy Rain, Flooding and strong winds.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Storm 10

RTE are a disgrace with their coverage of the flooding and damage, ten minutes is all the gave to it now going over the year past people are more interested in what's happening countrywide than the year past

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Cork city gauge is now at 5.12 and rising.
    By way of reference the peak water level associated with major flooding on Feb 4th was 5.285m and on Feb 3rd was 5.237m. (2014)

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭poconnor16

Storm 10 wrote:
    RTE are a disgrace with their coverage of the flooding and damage, ten minutes is all the gave to it now going over the year past people are more interested in what's happening countrywide than the year past
    ESB worse, no update on Iniscarra dam level since yesterday morning. People are really nervous because of 2009. Silence is worse than anything

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Cork city gauge is now at 5.12 and rising.

I'm starting to regret my decision to drive into work today. By the sounds of it, I may be lucky to get home.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Gusts currently up to 50 knots or more at Cork Apt, Valentia and Roches point as the gradient tightens in the SW.

373078.png

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭RoisinD

Here in NW Clare and barely a murmur

• Registered Users Posts: 40,023 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Okay a tree has come down In montenotte on the north of the city. It's on that cork Facebook page,

• Registered Users Posts: 14,512 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Sorry about that error in location, Loop Head it would be. The way it has evolved on the southwest coast it may not even get that far north as an event, looks like it is trying to link up to the old frontal trough from Frank.

Anyway, you have your floods and strong winds, I had an earthquake (about 5.0) at 0740z which was about a minute from the end of typing my forecast, about when I was saying it would rain for forty days and forty nights. Nothing to worry about, I'm sure. Oddly enough I recall that there was a strong wind blowing in Kerry and Cork just before the big earthquake in Haiti. I suppose these big pressure waves interacting with ocean tides place a bit of extra stress on the earth's crust, but nowhere near a predictable thing.

Springfort crescent which isn't far from me.

Itssoeasy wrote:
    Okay a tree has come down In montenotte on the north of the city. It's on that cork Facebook page,

Also one down as you drive into Blarney from the Cork side. The ground is saturated and with the gusts we are experiencing now, I could see more. Our house is surrounded by trees 😕

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Pdoghue

RTE Morning Ireland had some reports earlier from reporters around the country but now they're onto an obviously prerecorded review of the year. RTE dreadfully out of touch with this story. When a big event such as this happens on their 'holidays' they just don't devote the resources required to the story.

I live a little beyond Blarney, so trying to decide if I should leave work in the city now, and just head home, or if I'll be alright getting home this evening, when hopefully flooding has subsided again.

"Following last nights rain, ESB are to increase the flow from Inniscarra Dam from 180 tonnes to 250 tonnes per second"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Woodville56

Pdoghue wrote: »
    RTE Morning Ireland had some reports earlier from reporters around the country but now they're onto an obviously prerecorded review of the year. RTE dreadfully out of touch with this story. When a big event such as this happens on their 'holidays' they just don't devote the resources required to the story.

Obviously no Storm Frank in Dublin 4 then ! And they call RTE a public service broadcaster ???

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

Knex. wrote: »
    I live a little beyond Blarney, so trying to decide if I should leave work in the city now, and just head home, or if I'll be alright getting home this evening, when hopefully flooding has subsided again.
    What way was it on your way into work this morn?

"Following last nights rain, ESB are to increase the flow from Inniscarra Dam from 180 tonnes to 250 tonnes per second"

That doesn't sound good.

Colser wrote: »
    What way was it on your way into work this morn?

Some roads were flooded in parts that I haven't seen before. The main road from Tower into Blarney had a lot of surface water, and some parts completely covered, but It was still passable.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Storm 10 wrote: »

How does this storm rank with other storms across the country?

I take it rte 24 news has it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

Jeepers creepers the wind is blowing here in East Limerick. Roof slates are under pressure. I want to go to the shop but I think it would be classed as an unnecessary journey :)

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Toxica

Obviously no Sorm Frank in Dublin 4 then ! And they call RTE a public service broadcaster ???

They're covering the storm now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

Flooding is very bad in enniscorthy. This is by far the worst flooding to hit the town in many years. For anyone who knows the town the flood level is up to entrance to supervalue carpark. Maybe the more technical minded posters could put up images from twitter, just enter enniscorthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

Some roads were flooded in parts that I haven't seen before. The main road from Tower into Blarney had a lot of surface water, and some parts completely covered, but It was still passable.
    Id be thinking around Cloghroe will be bad if you are out that way,you could do Kerrypike into Tower if the Blarnay/Tower road floods but Id be heading home if it was me I think..no help really sorry.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭N20

Mallow in a bad way despite all the recent work, bridge st and park rd impassable and Bandon as bad apparently

Its all a bit biblical lads - makes you wonder

Colser wrote: »
    Id be thinking around Cloghroe will be bad if you are out that way,you could do Kerrypike into Tower if the Blarnay/Tower road floods but Id be heading home if it was me I think..no help really sorry.:o

Kerry pike this morning was nearly worse than tower to Blarney. Went that way first, and cars in front of me stopped and turned back.

Say I'll be heading for home soon, going by what I tell. Thanks for the help!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

pedigree 6 wrote: »
    Flooding is very bad in enniscorthy. This is by far the worst flooding to hit the town in many years. For anyone who knows the town the flood level is up to entrance to supervalue carpark. Maybe the more technical minded posters could put up images from twitter, just enter enniscorthy.

Looks like the Slaney is still rising rapidly too.

http://waterlevel.ie/0000012002/0001/

Knex. wrote:

Knex I'd head for home. UCC are now moving equipment from lower flows of their buildings since the dam levels are increasing. With all the debris from trees etc out our way, better to be safe than sorry. Keep an eye on Cork Flood Alerts on Facebook, they are doing a good
    Job

That tree that feel down in montenotte has trapped two propel according the cork flood alerts fb page. Emergency services on the scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Trev De rev

N20 wrote: »
    Mallow in a bad way despite all the recent work, bridge st and park rd impassable and Bandon as bad apparently

Its all a bit biblical lads - makes you wonder

Park road getting flooded is part of the flood relief plan. They will never stop that. They have the barriers in place to stop it going into the town. River must be very high if the barrier is up on Bridge street.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Lemmy Scott

Here in cork city my roof is nearly being blown off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

Got the call to stay home just as I was leaving, phew... What a relief as inistioge is impassable and I would have had to go through bandit country and don't know the roads.

I get to stay home and I will go check on neighbours, mostly elderly who would think nothing of it to go out in that weather.

The dogs hate the wind, it's rough down here, has been all night.

Hope everyone is safe, and a reminder if you can to check on people you know may need a little help.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement