Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

STORM FRANK, Tuesday 29th-Wednesday 30th. Heavy Rain, Flooding and strong winds.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

pedigree 6 wrote: »
    Flooding is very bad in enniscorthy. This is by far the worst flooding to hit the town in many years. For anyone who knows the town the flood level is up to entrance to supervalue carpark. Maybe the more technical minded posters could put up images from twitter, just enter enniscorthy.

Did it not go by that in November 2014 when the storm hit and spring tide?

Why the idiots built the hotel beside that river I never know, I asked one of the investors before and he had no answer.

lazeedaisy wrote: »
    Got the call to stay home just as I was leaving, phew... What a relief as inistioge is impassable and I would have had to go through bandit country and don't know the roads.

I get to stay home and I will go check on neighbours, mostly elderly who would think nothing of it to go out in that weather.

The dogs hate the wind, it's rough down here, has been all night.

Hope everyone is safe, and a reminder if you can to check on people you know may need a little help.

What a beautiful village, loved driving thru there go to the Kilkenny v wexford games.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

133 km/h gust at Sherkin.
    96 km/h sustained.

Red warning level winds.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Gusting to 72_knots at Sherkin, the secondary low certainly materialised!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

What a beautiful village, loved driving thru there go to the Kilkenny v wexford games.

The hurling pitch has been under water now for 2 weeks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,512 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Peak gusts 68 knots at Sherkin Island (08h report), 58 knots Roches Point, and 55 knots Cork ... these have all increased slightly at 0900h, 72 knots at Sherkin, 64 at Roches Point and 56 at Cork (63 at Kinsale energy platform) Meso-scale low still appears intact on radar near Dingle peninsula, drifting NNE. Valentia is close enough to centre that peak gusts there have only reached 40 knots but wind has shifted to westerly.

Bandon is at 3.5m and rising.

lazeedaisy wrote: »
    The hurling pitch has been under water now for 2 weeks!

I saw a picture of that yesterday. Very high even.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Mean speed of 52 knots at Sherkin Island. Contrast this with just 2 knots at Newport and 4 knots at Knock, which are directly under the slack trough center at the moment.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

Here in cork city my roof is nearly being blown off
    Same here and it seems to be getting worse.I opened the door but decided not to go out ,the noise is unreal and I dont think its worth chancing a spin to the shop at the moment. Worried about people that may be totally cut off especially the elderly that may not have food ect and no way of getting it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Storm 10 wrote: »
    RTE are a disgrace with their coverage of the flooding and damage, ten minutes is all the gave to it now going over the year past people are more interested in what's happening countrywide than the year past

Yes its pretty damn poor alright. I’m living abroad and I'm finding it very hard to keep up with events back at home.

Boards doing me proud though!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

Am just outside Dingle. Its absolutely vicious out there right now.

snaps wrote: »
    Yes its pretty damn poor alright. I’m living abroad and I'm finding it very hard to keep up with events back at home.

Nothing much happening in Dublin, a bit windy but escaped the worst of it. Can even go for a run, as not that bad

fits wrote: »
    Am just outside Dingle. Its absolutely vicious out there right now.

There should be some very strong gusts on the north Kerry/Clare coast over the next hour or so. 0Z EURO4 was showing sustained Force 11 winds on the coast for a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

West of Limerick city seems to have been pretty much by passed by this storm. Was wet and windy with the occasional heavy rain but nothing extraordinary

• Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Bazzy

Storm 10 wrote: »
    RTE are a disgrace with their coverage of the flooding and damage, ten minutes is all the gave to it now going over the year past people are more interested in what's happening countrywide than the year past

Enough of it didnt happen in dublin as per usual with them I'm a dub living in galway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

133 km/h gust at Sherkin.
    96 km/h sustained.

Red warning level winds.

I'm on the Sheepshead (above Ahakista)and believe me, the wind out here is terrifying. The weather station at Dunbeacon (on the Mizen) which I can see from my front window is recording gusts of over 120 km/h. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Fine in Waterford but this secondary low is bringing stronger wind than Frank did.

Wind Warning for Ireland

UPDATE

Severe winds with damaging gusts for a time today. Southerly veering westerly winds of 65 to 80 km/h with gust to 130 km/h

Issued:
    Wednesday 30 December 2015 09:00
    Valid:
    Wednesday 30 December 2015 09:00 to Wednesday 30 December 2015 14:00

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

Nothing much happening in Dublin, a bit windy but escaped the worst of it. Can even go for a run, as not that bad

I feel like I'm living in Kansas, afraid to look out the windows

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Longboard

• Registered Users Posts: 2 amygall

What way is this second storm passing? Will it be only over the south.

Bazzy wrote: »
    Enough of it didnt happen in dublin as per usual with them I'm a dub living in galway

Its was on the news etc. Morning Ireland had people calling in descrbing the floods etc.
    It won't cover it 24/7.

More importantly according to my kids, princess Sofia kingdom is under ice on the Disney channel:)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

snaps wrote: »

I have neither radio nor TV through choice and keep in touch via aa roadwatch and more especially the coco twitter sites. They are bang up to date and refer to weather forecasts and gardai bulletins immediately. Kerry cocp twitter is great. they even have an interactive map showing road conditions. http://kerry.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=46bf3b143c914a42aeab5dc21740e3bc Not fully updated as their twitter tells me Moll's Gap is now closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Wind Warning for Ireland

UPDATE

Severe winds with damaging gusts for a time today. Southerly veering westerly winds of 65 to 80 km/h with gust to 130 km/h

Issued:
    Wednesday 30 December 2015 09:00
    Valid:
    Wednesday 30 December 2015 09:00 to Wednesday 30 December 2015 14:00

Is this really likely to be a national event?
    I thought the charts showed it skirting the west coast?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

amygall wrote: »
    What way is this second storm passing? Will it be only over the south.
    Transferring rapidly northeast in coming hours. Reaching Dublin region c. Midday with estimated gusts here to 55kt

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I have not heard winds like this since Darwin. Louder and louder. I went outside to check the dog etc and get turf in and really dangerous..South Kerry near Moll's Gap 400 asl

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Winds picking up again here with regular gusts to 70km/h

www.waterfordcityweather.com

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

Graces7 wrote: »
    I have not heard winds like this since Darwin. Louder and louder. I went outside to check the dog etc and get turf in and really dangerous..South Kerry near Moll's Gap 400 asl

Perhaps it would be an idea to get the dog in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Courtesy of SE Radio twitter,Enniscorthy has been closed off and diversions are in place.

CXdjXNmW8AAi2fi.jpg

CXdgjhYWQAAETWx.jpg

https://twitter.com/SouthEastRadio/status/682123119864197120

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement