Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

STORM FRANK, Tuesday 29th-Wednesday 30th. Heavy Rain, Flooding and strong winds.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭polydactyl

Its was on the news etc. Morning Ireland had people calling in descrbing the floods etc.
    It won't cover it 24/7.

More importantly according to my kids, princess Sofia kingdom is under ice on the Disney channel:)

Ice... Tut tut it's Forever Frost not ice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Rain has stopped and flooding is receding, went for a walk and the roads are in bits, ditches have over flowed and every sort of crap is floating along, was talking to an elderly man on his way to mass and he says his road is like a river, and has never seen that happen in 65 years, as for me, i can hopefully say now, that if the house didnt flood this morning, its never going to flood, im off to see Star Wars now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Wind Warning for Ireland

UPDATE

Severe winds with damaging gusts for a time today. Southerly veering westerly winds of 65 to 80 km/h with gust to 130 km/h

Issued:
    Wednesday 30 December 2015 09:00
    Valid:
    Wednesday 30 December 2015 09:00 to Wednesday 30 December 2015 14:00

Earlier they said 11 am...like yesterday when the time Frank hit was brought forward.... ah well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭B17G

Wind Warning for Ireland

UPDATE

Severe winds with damaging gusts for a time today. Southerly veering westerly winds of 65 to 80 km/h with gust to 130 km/h

Issued:
    Wednesday 30 December 2015 09:00
    Valid:
    Wednesday 30 December 2015 09:00 to Wednesday 30 December 2015 14:00

Interesting example of how the models with the poorer resolution don't do well with these smaller features. 6Z GFS rolling out now isn't really picking up the low, but the earlier 00Z Euro 4 is showing it.

3-515UK_qlm9.GIF
    15123009_2_3000.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭falan

In South limerick near the border with cork it sounds like a train is passing at times with driving rain. It was rough up until 11 last night then lightened off. Franks in full swing again since a while ago.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭fepper

Ur right very stormy in north Kerry again

radio kerry online is also excellent info

• Registered Users Posts: 5,549 ✭✭✭Duff

Lads, have to drive from Dundalk to Cork City tomorrow. Any ideas if it'll have died down by then?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

so where's this...sting in the tail?? has it passed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

Bazzy wrote: »
    Enough of it didnt happen in dublin as per usual with them I'm a dub living in galway

For heavens sake
    The problem with RTE is the unions
    They don't want to work irregular hours and certainly love their Xmas off
    They dont have a breakfast news programme for that reason

Whats hilarious and ridiculous about it was this morning on morning Ireland they cut flood coverage short at a time when half the country is drowning
    They'll spend several hundred thousand on the salary of useless tubridy yet won't send a satellite truck and reporter to Inistioge or Middleton

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Winds picking up again here with regular gusts to 70km/h

www.waterfordcityweather.com

Airport has recorded 94km/h Mick .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭thomasj

Irish rail saying that enniscorthy station is currently not accessible and no services (rail or bus) running to and from that station

They're saying rosslare services only going to gorey with bus transfers to Wexford and rosslare

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

fryup wrote: »
    so where's this...sting in the tail?? has it passed?

I presume you didn't read the forecast or even the posts preceding yours?
    The former detailed the precise area for renewed strong winds today and why
    The latter is reporting red warning level 80mph gusts in the south now inside said area

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭B17G

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Mean speed of 52 knots at Sherkin Island. Contrast this with just 2 knots at Newport and 4 knots at Knock, which are directly under the slack trough center at the moment.

Yip. Getting steady rain here in West Mayo, but barely any wind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Malcolm600f

Lovely morning in SW Donegal..Calm and cloudy and wet , mad driving around at 10am with car lights on its a dam dark morning..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

N20 wrote: »
    Mallow in a bad way despite all the recent work, bridge st and park rd impassable and Bandon as bad apparently

Its all a bit biblical lads - makes you wonder

Passed through yesterday at lunch time the water was already covering the road. Underwater Racecourse was optimistically claiming next meet on Jan 2nd.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Henwin

Extremely windy here now in north Kerry

monkeynuz wrote: »
    Perhaps it would be an idea to get the dog in.

Nice idea but she has a nest in the shed during the day and will not come into the house. Sleeps in the house but then out she insists. It is actually warmer out there than it is in here...she has been that way since collie died. Please never imagine she is ever chained up or forced out like my neighbours poor dogs were..If i make her come in she will whine and scratch to go out again.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Not much of a breather...
    Friday New Year’s Day: After a dry, bright start in many areas, rain and strong southerly winds will spread northwards during the day with some very heavy falls expected later with some flooding and strong to gale force southeast winds.

The sun just came out.. South Kerry 400 asl.. gale still screaming

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

Graces7 wrote: »
    Nice idea but she has a nest in the shed during the day and will not come into the house. Sleeps in the house but then out she insists. It is actually warmer out there than it is in here...she has been that way since collie died. Please never imagine she is ever chained up or forced out like my neighbours poor dogs were..If i make her come in she will whine and scratch to go out again.

Fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,424 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Bandon water levels past severe :-

373079.PNG

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Psychobabble

Just wanted to express my thanks to all those on this thread who have been providing information and updates. I travelled from Dublin to Mizen Head yesterday, but, owing to the information on this thread, I left before 9am, as opposed to my usual 11am. After Cork City, it began to hit, but I made it to Mizen before the worst of it.
    Quite the night last night, on an exposed hillside, within view of the Fastnet. The very strong winds of this morning are subsiding and there is beautiful bright sunshine now. I took a quick walk out there now and I have never seen waves like it, breaking far out to sea. I will be staying well away from the shore today!
    My thoughts are with all those who have been affected by this and also wondering if the floods will have subsided by the time I need to make it back to Dublin Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Vex Willems

• Registered Users Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭thomasj

https://twitter.com/IrishRail/status/682137428740681728

Met radar showing more heavy rain crossing from the west and south

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭sjb25

thomasj wrote: »
    Irish rail saying that enniscorthy station is currently not accessible and no services (rail or bus) running to and from that station

They're saying rosslare services only going to gorey with bus transfers to Wexford and rosslare

Here's enniscorthy the train station is on the top right hand side of the photo

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

poconnor16 wrote: »
    Knex I'd head for home. UCC are now moving equipment from lower flows of their buildings since the dam levels are increasing. With all the debris from trees etc out our way, better to be safe than sorry. Keep an eye on Cork Flood Alerts on Facebook, they are doing a good
    Job

Thanks man.

Just got home. Cork > Blackpool > Blarney > Tower.

Roads are better now than they were this morning, in terms of flooding, but definitely a lot more debri around.

Not sure if the flooding will pick up again with the flow from the dam, however.

Winds against the car are almost as strong as I've driven in, and definitely getting stronger!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

I see Fenit Harbour gust to 106 kph, avg 87 kph just now

Rising Steadily here in Ardfert, just tipping 70 kph and squally rain atm

Wind sharp veering from the SSW to NW

Bar 990.4 hPa Rising Rapidly

Further 8mm of rain overnight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

Right Frank !!, give it over now, cop on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭goodies

Def increase in wind gusts and change of direction here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement