Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

STORM FRANK, Tuesday 29th-Wednesday 30th. Heavy Rain, Flooding and strong winds.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭FunkSoulSista

Get ready for an influx of Dubliners, wind picked up majorly here!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

The Nore is at it's highest level since 1968 at this gauge, and still rising...

http://waterlevel.ie/0000015006/0001/

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

monkeynuz wrote: »
    Fair enough.

Thanks..at age ten she is happy and healthy; terrier mix and she thinks there are RATS in there and will not desert her post.. she may be right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭xband

Seems like the wind in Cork has started to calm down. I'm seeing birds flying again (as opposed to being blown around!)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Can't believe how quiet the media has been about this. This thread is really the only place showing the real extent of the flooding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

syngindub wrote: »
    Right Frank !!, give it over now, cop on

Think I will go under the bed until the calm... roof keeps rattling now and bright sunshine. South kerry mountain 400 asl and heading skywards.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

The Nore is at it's highest level since 1968 at this gauge, and still rising...

http://waterlevel.ie/0000015006/0001/

Just wondering how you know historical levels? Would be nice if they displayed them also.
    Are they on the waterlevel site anywhere?
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭xband

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    Can't believe how quiet the media has been about this. This thread is really the only place showing the real extent of the flooding.

Well local Dublin broadcaster, RTE, is mostly on holidays and their extension leads rarely reach much beyond the Stillorgan Dual Carriageway anyway, so not much of a hope there. TodayFM/Newstalk really don't have the reporting resources.

TV3 and UTV Ireland are likely to make more of an effort (with far fewer resources) to give national coverage.

Not to throw the thread off topic, but I do think that there's a major requirement for RTE to behave as a public service broadcaster during what is basically a national weather emergency. There is a lot of information to get out and almost all of it is coming through social media, some of the online news sites and also local commercial radio.

It really wouldn't be overkill for RTE to do a flood-watch bulletin every 60 mins on radio taking updates from their own correspondents (who actually seem to be active on Twitter in many cases but aren't getting the opportunity to go on air...), Met Eireann, the local authorities, emergency services, ESB Networks and monitoring what's coming in via social media.

I got more information on Twitter, boards.ie and Facebook (really great Cork floods group) than I got through the national broadcaster that I'm paying to fund!

I'd just like to congratulate people on this forum, those tweeting and posting to various Facebook groups. You're doing a genuine public service!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

The wind is starting to pick up now in north county Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

I'm not sure why we're still posting current details in the Storm Frank thread when Frank is now over Iceland, but anyway.

Sherkin Island's 10-minute mean speed reached 28 m/s (54-55 knots) between 9 and 10 am, with a sudden fall in speed from 27 m/s to 21 m/s (53 to 41 kts) at 09:36.

AAXX 3010103951 47457 /2819 10078 20044 39902 49928 53062 7225/ 86///
    333 86/12 91134 91228 91327 90406 91321=

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Get ready for an influx of Dubliners, wind picked up majorly here!

And why wouldn't there be, its the major population centre of Ireland jaysus ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,482 ✭✭✭weisses

Bit breezy with some nice sunshine now in west Kerry .... Sea is wild though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

Looks like there will be flooding in Cork city later. Notice how early it started rising well before reaching the normal low tide level.

dnn_ctr1221_Chart_WebChart1766112111635870541649040462png.png

Just wondering, I know there is already flooding but do you think this will peak again later today at high tide Maq? Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭B17G

Not much of a breather...

Fraid so. Looks like another bit of a stinker Friday night into Saturday morning.

373083.png

So much waffle to have to wade through this morning. People still posting about the Dublin vs The Rest of the Country bull. Please start up a separate thread if you want to have a whinge.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

Gone very quiet all of a sudden in Cork,hope it stays this way.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

G'morning all :)

Just as I'm catching up on the nights events since I signed off, someone has turned on the wind and rain. Some hefty gusts and driving rain here in West Limerick.

Off to investigate some noises now.

G'morning Grace, glad all is ok there with you and interesting to hear the updates. The Kerry CoCo communications have been probably the best I have seen in relation to getting information out to people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

After hitting hard here now in west limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Just wondering how you know historical levels? Would be nice if they displayed them also.
    Are they on the waterlevel site anywhere?
    Thanks

Click on annual max

http://waterlevel.ie/hydro-data/stations/15006/station.html?1451471300

1968 was 4.05.
    Currently at 3.864 and rising.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Speak Now

59kts gust recorded at Waterford airport (109km/h). 49kts was biggest gust from Frank last night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭sjb25

Another one from enniscorthy co Wexford the main N11 is between the trees and buildings

• Registered Users Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭thomasj

xband wrote:
    Not to throw the thread off topic, but I do think that there's a major requirement for RTE to behave as a public service broadcaster during what is basically a national weather emergency. There is a lot of information to get out and almost all of it is coming through social media, some of the online news sites and also local commercial radio.

Shows how useful their news now channel is when you are watching the 9 o clock news at 3 in the morning while all this is going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Heavy rain now in Galway city. Salthill prom is closed to traffic but I can't see why apart from some seaweed in the drains.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    After hitting hard here now in west limerick.

Yes, as if someone turned on a switch.Very blustry indeed with big gusts.

Measuring 22km/h sustained Westerly.
    Rain. 4 Okta.

Its not cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Asmooh

where wasnt much in dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

24mm of rain and gusts in Sligo

Nothing too bad except rain was very intense for a while

One thing about this month is Dublin or otherwise everywhere has had exceptional rainfall.

Also it looks like another 7 days of very disturbed weather so for the time being this poor weather looks set to stay a while

In Sligo had over 200mm of rain in November , now very close to 300mm for December

A Ryanair plane reported some windshear at Dublin a short while ago. Not exactly sure why they keep calling these "Bowing" 737 aircraft...

EIDW WS WRNG 01 301020 VALID 301029/301229 SEV WS APCH RWY16 OBS AT 1022 BOWING737 800 SERIES GAIN OF 20 KTS FROM 200FT DOWN TO SURFACE=

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Some severe gusts in West Dublin now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

How long are we talking for this to pass over an area? 30/40 mins?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭sumtings

Very strong gusts in Limerick just now, everything that can rattle and howl is doing so.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement